Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 days in Kalamata and Driving to Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of 4 girls are travelling to Zakynthos. . . . and we originally planned to fly to Athens, and then onto Santorini and Mykonos. However, I am very interested in Kalamata.

It is so close to Zakynthos, and I was thinking it might be worth it to take the ferry to the Pelepponese, rent a car and drive to Kalamata for 2 days, and up the coastline to Athens.

Does anyone have a suggested 2-3 day itinerary for such a drive? We could plan a few days there, and then drive to Athens and then fly to the islands.

I know that it is a little bit of a rush, but I would love to spend some time on the mainland. . . . and wondered if we could still enjoy a nice day/evening in Kalamata, and a beautiful drive for a full day driving along the cost, stopping in a few villages. . . . and then end up in Athens the morning of the third day of the drive?

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM

What interests you about Kalamata exactly? If you are going to the Messinian Mani - Kalamata would be the last place of interest in my opinion. Its a big spawling city most of what I saw of it was unattractive. If going to the region I would stay in the very attractive town of Pylos (40km west)and from there you could day-trip to Methoni to see its unbelievably interesting fortress.

It will likely take you most of the day to get down to Kalamata via Patras (I think that is the port?). Would you ferry to Patras then bus down to Kalamata and rent a car or would you rent a car in Patras and drive down to Kalamata. Also, what route do you want to take back to Athens? Along which coast? You will have to pay a significant fee for picking up and dropping off a car in two different locations. Another choice is to rent a car in say Kalamata, tour the area, return the car in Kalamata - then train back to Athens (or bus) 4-5hours I believe.

Other pretty towns in the area: Venetian Koroni and everyone raves about Kardymali - I was supposed to go but ended up missing it. The route through the mountains Kalamata to Sparta via the Langada Pass is amazaing.

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Also, another idea would be to ferry to Patras and take a different mainland tour that is more direct to Athens - bus to Nafpaktos for a night, then on to Delphi/Arahova for a night then easily on the Athens. Something like this would be more direct and less work than going south and then back up. Just depends on your interests.

Just a thought,

Murphy
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM

From Zakynthos you can take a ferry to Kyllini and a bus to Patras, I'm not actually 100% sure you can take a ferry to between Zakynthos and Patras. When I went an uncle had to drive us from Patras to Kyllini to catch the boat. If you did decide to go Kalamata you can try to fly back to Athens (Olympic flys there but not daily) and then take a connecting flight to the island you were going to.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I'd also agree that Kalamata is charmless and unappealing, having gotten "lost" in the city for about 30 minutes last May.

Kardamyli, a small seaside town about 2hrs drive south of Kalamata, is much nicer.

Further south, the coastal road into the Mani peninsula is very pretty, and the Mani is spectacularly different than much of the rest of Greece.

But that seems a lot to do in 2-3 days ... roads in the Pelopennese tend to be slow, the scenery encourages frequent stops, and you'll probably only average 25-30 mph while driving.

Just a thought, you may want to research the seaside town of Nafplio in the Argolid region. Very pleasant, many nearby attractions, and it's only a couple hour drive back to Athens. The old Venetian part of Nafplio is the touristic center of the town.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM

That is a good suggestion from Tom - Nafplio is beautiful. Someone else on this forum (saltymuffin) was going to travel from Patra to Napflio via this route:

Patras- Diakofto (for the cog railway to Kalavrita) - Napflio.

I think that would be a nice route too and you could do it all by public bus/rail. Napflio is 2.5hours from Athens and is a beautiful town.

Tom is right, I don't think you have enought time to drive along the coast via Gythio - though hopefully someone can chime in who has done a rental in the region. I took the public bus and it was about a 5-6 hour trip from Sparta through Langada pass to Kalamata.

For bus schedule info if you chose to go that route (and for general length of trip info) you can try the KTEL long distance bus website: www.ktel.org

Murphy
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM

I'm waiting to find out why OP wants to go to Kalamata. There is an interesting museum there, I think, unless I'm losing my long-term memory. (I just paused to google it, and there is indeed a nice archaeological musem).But the olives can be purchased anywhere.

Lots of good suggestions here, unless there is a really specific reason for going to Kalamata.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Kalamata- a beautiful setting but an industrial city, lots of trafic, no appeal at all. The drive through the mountains from Sparta to Kalamata is very beautiful.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys! Thank you so much! We were thinking of going there because my family is from a nearby village in Filletra, and I have a friend who is visiting his family in Kalamata and said that we should definitely visit the area. . . .

I was trying to find a more interesting way to incorporate it into our travels from Zakynthos to Athens. . . . He had said that the drive along the coast is amazing. . . . So, I was trying to figure out if a 2-3 drive was realistic, and where we might visit between Kalamata and Athens.

Based on everyone's suggestions, we should probably consider taking the bus, and stopping at some of the villages recommended. I have to say that I was surpised by the comments that the area is not that impressive because it is a very different description than he provided and than I had read in other places.

Thank you for being so helpful!

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Oh No!! deanneb - don't misunderstand! The AREA is beautiful - Messinian Mani is lovely. The city Kalamata however, is a large urban sprawl. Yet, that does not detract from the region as a whole. A local should be able to give you lots of insider info too.

Pylos, Koroni and Methoni (for its fortress) were 3 of the places I saw in the region and I enjoyed them all.

I was just trying to consider your time pressures and I think the people above were too.

Good Travels,

Murphy

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Also, if you do have a few days to explore the Messinan Mani I WOULD rent a car. The buses in this area tend to have long routes which means they run the risk of being late more often. The car will give you a lot more flexibility to as well.

Oh. I would hate to think I contributed to you not wanting to go to the are at all

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Fond memories of Kalamata, dining outside on the waterfront with friends on a two-and-a-half-day trip (Athens and Kalamata)to Greece. Yes this was very rushed, though it didn't seem so at all, since we had no agenda. And no doubt there are more charming places in Greece. Friends were the key. If yours will be there and can see you, then go.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I also wanted to clarify that my earlier comment " ... Kalamata is charmless and unappealing ... " is in reference ONLY to the urban core of Kalamata. The region and coast are very pretty.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM

deanneb-
My husband and I traveled from Katakalo to Filiatra last month. I had always wanted to visit my grandmother's village so when I realized how close Filiatra was to the port we rented a car and made the two hour drive.
I highly recomending driving that part of Greece. The weather and coastline were beautiful and just being able to spend those few hours in her village was the highlight my 30 day European vacation. There isn't much to Filiatra, a small town-square with shops and restaurants. But I loved seeing all the local interaction. We were a curiousity to them as well. The wonderful Greek pasties from the local bakery brought back memories of my Yia Yia Dena teaching me how to make them. So I urge you to go and enjoy the journey to your families homeland.
Wishing you safe travels....