Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 days in Jungfrau area - Driving in Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-in-jungfrau-area-driving-in-switzerland-846917/)

ztrip Jun 27th, 2010 10:20 AM

2 days in Jungfrau area - Driving in Switzerland

We are driving from Zurich to Italy and want to stay for 2 nights in the Jungfrau area. We are traveling with 3 young kids, should we stay in Interlaken or Luzern? Any hotel recommendations??
Do we need any special arrangements for driving in Switzerland? Passes, etc??
Thank you!!

BillJ Jun 27th, 2010 03:37 PM

We were in this area couple of years ago, but I would encourage you to consider staying up out of Interlaken, like at Muerren as a real adventure for the kids. (How old are they?) Be sure to take them on the train up the Jungfrau.
Driving in Switzerland was just fine except around the larger cities, but hey, it's crowded in US also. No special arrangements were necessary.

nytraveler Jun 27th, 2010 05:24 PM

If you want to ascend the Jungfrau Lucerne is too far away - you need to be either in Interlaken or one of the nearby villages. (And be aware that many days ascending makes no sense - since the top is socked in by clouds).

If you aren;t doing the Jungfrau IMHO Lucerne has more to see and do - in the town and the immediate vicinity (lake steamers, Mt Pilatus or Rigi etc)

michele_d Jun 27th, 2010 06:04 PM

Hi ztrip,
We stayed in Lauterbrunnen last year for eight days and loved it. We had a car for our three month trip but during our time in the BO it was parked near our apt.

I think the kids would get a kick out of riding the local transportation in the BO: trains, cablecars etc.

It is a beautiful area. I would recommend staying up in the BO as opposed to down in Interlaken. You won't have to travel everyday up to the area.

There is a very easy, and I mean easy, 2 hour walk you all can take. You take the cablecar from Wengen to Mannlichen. From Mannlichen you walk a level path around the mountain to Kleine Scheidegg. From KS you can take the train down. There were many school age kids on the path and even one of those riding mobility carts. Bring a picnic lunch with you in a backpack and stop along the way on a bench to eat and admire the views. There are clanging cow bells everywhere. I think the kids would like it.

At the border you will purchase a pass for your car. I think it was 20 euros or something like that.

Have a great trip,
Michele

ira Jun 28th, 2010 06:34 AM

Hi Z,

>Do we need any special arrangements for driving in Switzerland? <
You will need a road tax sticker "vignette" to drive on the main highways.
You will need your US driver's license.

((I))

ztrip Jun 30th, 2010 05:25 AM

Thank you for all your wonderful responses!! I love your idea of staying out of Interlaken. Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area? We would like a 4 star or good 3 star...

ira: do you know how we get the "vignette"?

Thank again...

michele_d Jun 30th, 2010 06:00 PM

We purchased ours when we crossed the border from France.

ktspiv4 Jul 2nd, 2010 02:13 PM

I agree with MicheleD, Lauterbrunnen is wonderful! and right there at the train station to The Top of Europe.

We stayed at a lovely hotel called The Hotel Silberhorn: http://www.silberhorn.com/index.cfm?tem=1&spr=2&hpn=2

Wonderful breakfast each morning, rooms are clean & situated with beautiful views. The staff is very knowledgable, trust them when they say to take or not take the train up the mountain due to weather. But it it is worth the $$$ to get to the top.

Have a wonderful time!

nytraveler Jul 2nd, 2010 05:24 PM

Lucern has more to see and do - but if your major goal is ascending the Jungfrau you should be closer - either in Interlaken or one of the villages part way up the mountain.

You need to understand that there are quite a few days when it doesn;t make sense to do the trip up - since the top is shrouded in clouds and nothing can be seen. We stayed in Interlaken 3 days (doing day trips) until w got a day with good weather.