2 days in Istanbul what to do?

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in Istanbul what to do?

We will be spending 2 days in Istanbul before boarding our cruise ship. What should we arrange? A private tour? a group tour..no tour..
thanks so much for some help
Linda
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM

You have time to see a good bit in two days. Topkapi palace, Ayasophia and Blue Mosque are all walking distance. You can also go to Grand bazaar, Bosphorus bridge and the area around there.

I don't know about a private tour and it all depends on your style. I did these on my own except Ayasophia which I hired a guide right there and he turned out descent. You want to be very careful about guides there.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi Linda,

There are many places to visit in Istanbul so if you want you can hire a tourist guide certified by the Ministry of Tourism hiring a guide in Istanbul is better then touring by yourself. Or you can buy a tour via your cruise travel agency. I DO NOT RECOMMEND to have tour WITHOUT TOUR GUIDE.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM

My company is sending me to Istanbul at the end of June. They will probably put me up at the Cirgan (sp?) Palace. I would rather stay at a simple hotel, one that is in a residential neighbourhood away from tourists. I want to be around Turkish people, not tourists.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM

You certainly don't NEED a tour guide in Istanbul. Most sights are easy to reach and a guide book can provide much of the background information. We particularly enjoyed taking a boat on the Bosphorus. Public boats are frequent and easy to manage on your own.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM

After leaving our cruise ship, we spent two days in Istanbul and felt no need for a guide at all. We stayed near the Topkapi Palace. You can walk easily to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the Grand Bazaar. I find a good guide book and a map are pretty much all you need. There is English spoken everywhere in Istanbul that we visited. It is a great city and walking at your own pace is definietely a plus.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Hi Linda,

What cruise are you going on?
We are planning a cruise in September on Calypso ship from Istanbul to Greek islands.