2 DAYS IN GARMISCH PARTENKIRCHEN?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Brian

2 DAYS IN GARMISCH PARTENKIRCHEN?

Hello, We will be spending 2 days in Garmisch this summer. We will be in Berchtesgaden before that for 2 days & then the Fussen area after that for 1 day. Are we spending too much time in Garmisch? Would our time be better spent somewhere else near there? We enjoy the mountains, lakes & cable cars and things to do for an 8 ys old & a 15 yr old. We welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Wayne

Only you can decide if you are spending too much time. As you know, the Garmisch area has lots of mountain scenery, as does Berchtesgaden; and there's a bit in the Fussen area too. So if what you like is the mountains, you aren't spending too much time. However, if I were touring that area, I would spend at least one night and day in Konigsee--most beautiful lake and mountain scenery, in my opinion.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Julie

I think Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the ultimate destination for children in Europe. You should have a great time. If you're driving, I'd stay in Garmisch 3 nights and visit the castles from there rather than staying separately for a night in Fussen. It's very doable. Besides being able to get to the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles from there, you can see Ludwig's hunting lodge, Linderhof. There is of course the Zugspitze, although we found that overrated--better to view it from below than to be on top looking out. Instead we go to the shorter but easier to get to, cheaper and better to walk around--Wank. The towns themselves are nice as are Oberammergau and Mittenwald, both a short drive from GAP. Former has woodcarving, latter painted houses including one that tells the story of Hansel and Gretel and another Little Red Ridinghood. There is the Partnaklamm, a hike through a mountain gorge. And at night you must do dinner at the Frauendorfer Gasthaus. They have young boys dancing the typical bavarian dance where they slap their thighs and feet and jump around--looks better than it sounds. Also have alpine horns and lots of oompah and great huge portions of food and steins of beer. By all means stay in Gramisch (GAP) and have a great time.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Mike

Brian: Sounds like it will be a perfect place for your family. Been there numerous times and we can't get enough. I agree with Wayne, see Konigssee and take a little time and go out to the Chapel of St. Bartholoma. Also go up to the Eagles Nest's for a fabulous of the Alps. You have the salt mine tour (great for kids) and if you can take a cable car ride up the mountains. A few cities to see include Oberammergau and Linderhof. In Garmisch take the Cog train up into the Zugspitze and catch lunch. The highest mountain in Germany. Gramisch is a great strolling town. Have diner at Gasthof Fraundorfer and even try to get a room there.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:11 AM
John G

I think 2 days in Garmisch will be ideal for you and your family. I don't particularly like Garmisch because it is too commercial for such a small town. There is a Burger King, Wendy's, pizza parlors, and the American Steakhouse all downtown. I think Garmisch is a good base, however, for exploring other places. I do recommend you take a tour of Neuschwanstein and revel in the over-the-top tackiness of the whole place. (You can see why they called King Ludwig II crazy.) I also agree that you should go to Mittenwald and Oberammergau for a visit--they are less commercial than Garmisch. But, even tough I think Garmisch is a little tacky, I do have to agree that the view of the Bavarian Alps is one that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Good Luck

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Brian

Thanks to everyone for answering. Anyone ever take one of those summer
luge rides?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Betty

The luge rides are fun. Your kids will love them.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:47 AM
Nancy

Don't forget Wies Church (Wieskirche). It is a beautiful church almost out in the middle of no where. The first time we went was a Sunday morning & church was in progress. It seemed the angels were singing as we listened to the choir sing from the vestibule. We waited outside for the end of the service and then went in to tour the church. We have never been disapointed when touring this church, it is breathtaking.

http://www.unesco.org/whc/sites/271.htm

This site has directions.
http://www.pnc.com.au/~voyager/voyagerfiles/dachau.htm