Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 days in Florence..Hotel Savoy or Hotel Lungarno? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-in-florence-hotel-savoy-or-hotel-lungarno-76158/)

nan Jun 14th, 2000 05:13 PM

2 days in Florence..Hotel Savoy or Hotel Lungarno?

Please help with any tips on these two hotels. Also looking for great suggestions for shopping and restaurants. Has anyone heard of Cocciciones (?) We will be coming off a week long walking tour on Tuscanny, ending in Florence. Thnaks for any help

maurice Jun 15th, 2000 05:39 AM

Nan: We have stayed at the Hotel Lungarno many times and it is one of the best hotels in Florence. It has recently been renovated by Ferregamo (?) and the rooms are beautiful and the complimentary breakfast is superb. It overlooks the Arno river, so ask for a room overlooking the river. The area is quiet and there are a number of great restaurants in the vicinity. We have not stayed at the Savoy. Was your walking tour with Backroads or B&R? <BR> Restaurants in Florence: Quatro Leonni, Pandamonia, and Trattoria Bordino (near Lungarno, we had full course lunch for 10,000 Lira). We just returned from Venice, Chianti and Florence and had a wonderful vacation. E mail if you need more info. Have a great time!

Karen Jun 15th, 2000 09:31 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Lungarno in Florence three weeks ago. We had a wonderful room overlooking the Arno. The hotel is charming, not very large but very well located. We were originally booked to stay at the Excelsior but changed our reservations due to the glowing reviews on the Lungarno found on this Forum. We were very happy with our decision and would definitely stay there again.

Nan Jun 22nd, 2000 04:38 PM

Thanks for the great advice! I think we will go with Lungarno! <BR>

cynthia Jun 22nd, 2000 08:45 PM

How much do these hotels cost? Thanks

Roger & Amy Sep 8th, 2000 01:19 PM

nan, <BR> <BR> We cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Lungarno. We stayed there on our honeymoon and it was great. Just a short walk to the Ponte del Vechio and other sites. We are planning to return on our anniversary.

M&J Sep 8th, 2000 01:28 PM

Cynthia-here is a web sit for Hotel Lungarno <BR> <BR>http://www.lungarnohotels.it/lungarno_e.shtml

richard j vicek Sep 8th, 2000 01:38 PM

Good afternoon, nan <BR> <BR>The Lugarno is your best bet, wonderful <BR>location just over the south end of <BR>the Ponte Vecchio and a half block down <BR>to the right on the Borgo... <BR>Will send a list of tried and true ristorantes which we have used over <BR>the years. There is a little bit <BR>of shopping on the south side of the <BR>Ponte Vecchio, but over the northside <BR>to the Duomo and towards the Pza della <BR>Signoria and around the Piazza celia Repubblica..Maybe in going into the <BR>Florence Yellow Pages can come up with <BR>an address, etc on Cocciciones, have not <BR>heard of it. Have a good trip. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il... <BR>

Dona Sep 9th, 2000 07:29 PM

Nan, <BR> <BR>Glad you decided on the Lungarno - it's wonderful. <BR> <BR>For restaurants, there are many - some of my favorites are: Ringo's for lunch (across from the Lungarno). Sit at the counter and let Ringo do his magic. For dinner, I've enjoyed Cibreo, Camillo, and Alle Murate. Lunch at Cantinetta Antinori is wonderful. Ask the hotel for tickets to the museums - or get them yourself online. <BR> <BR>My absolute "jeweler of choice" is Ugo Piccini, just off the Ponte Vecchio (on the left side of the street as you walk over the Ponte Vecchio from the Lungarno) - and there's a great leather store on just as you begin to go over the Ponte Vecchio from the hotel, on the left. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you want additional information - and have a great trip!

Ken Sep 22nd, 2000 06:49 PM

I leave for Italy next week and will be staying at the Gallery Art Hotel in Florence any feedback on this hotel?

Wendy Sep 29th, 2000 09:31 AM

Lungarno hands down. It is perfect. I was there in august.