Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 Days in and around Naples...what's doable in that time frame?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving this Friday (the 11th of April) from Madrid and will be arriving in Naples at about noon. I will be there until early on the morning of the 13th. While I'm in Naples, apart from seeing the city itself, I really want to go to Capri and Pompei/Herculaneum (preferably Pompei or both). Can anybody give me advice on timing in order to successfully see these places as well as Naples? Thanks in advance!<BR><BR>Gavin<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:15 AM
ira

Hi Gavin,<BR><BR> Here is what I have planned for my upcoming trip. Let's see what others suggest.<BR><BR> We will be staying at the Albergo Sansevero.<BR><BR>Arrival day <BR>Cappella Sansevero, Via De Sanctis 19 (near Piazza S.Domenico Maggiore) Open 10-17 <BR><BR>Santa Chiara Church along with its Museum Complex Open 3:30-5:30pm Via Santa Chiara 49C<BR><BR>Next Day<BR>Visit Pompeii or Herculaneum or Paestum<BR> (or all three)<BR><BR>Last day: Leave.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:21 AM

you can see Pompeii the day you arrive for a few hours. The entrance closes an hour before sunset. The next day you can take a ferry to Capri and spend the day there. You won't have time for Herculaneum too.<BR> <BR>However these days trips won't leave you any time to see Naples itself, which is the most exciting and vibrant city in Italy.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Topping
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:00 AM

If you have a lot you want to see and do, I would leave out Pompeii and go for Herculaneum. It is a smaller site (but better preserved because mud fell on this town whereas ash fell on Pomepeii and destroyed most of it). A lot of the buildings are still standing in Herculaneum. I dont think you would be disappointed. If you have time, you should try and see Ravello, a small quiet serene town on the Amalfi coast - a visit to the Rufulo Gardens there is wonderful - a view of the whole of the Amalfi coast. Have a great time.<BR>Isobel
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:10 AM

If I read your message correctly, you have less than 48 hours in Naples. I would concentrate on Pompeii as well as Naples itself, which will be celebrating holy week, with processions, renactments of the passion of Christ, etc. This is a very interesting time to be in Italy, and Naples as well. Your hotel should be able to give you information, check in your guidebook as well. <BR><BR>If you are very interestsed in ancient sights, you might be able to do Herculaneum as well. This will depend on how much time you want to spend at Pompeii (IMO 3-4 hours at a minimum).<BR><BR>I would actually skip Capri for several reasons. It is not really the season there as it is still quite cool. It will mostly likely be in the high 50 F or mabye low 60 F if you are lucky. The ferries are running on the winter schedule and this may make it difficult to fit into your time schedule. Many of the best restaurants will be closed (for the winter and also for holy week.) If it is a very warm and sunny day, you might rething this; but if it is cold and rainy (as is likely) I would stick to Naples and Pompeii.<BR><BR>Hope you will get to see some of the Easter events in Madrid as well, I belive some of them start this week.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies. i'm still not sure exactly what i'll do, but you've given me some food for thought.