2 days in Amsterdam

Jun 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

2 days in Amsterdam

Spending this weekend in Amsterdam from LA. Besides the Anne Frank house and the Van Gough,what else do you suggst for me and my 20 year old son?
thanks,
Kim
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:18 AM

eat fries with mayo at nite while walking around. take a boat tour at nite. walk around the red light district...just to see. rent a bike and ride around. drive to kukendall [sp? i am absolutely wrong in the spelling of this or really remembering off the top of my head the name of this, but with a little research you will figure out what i mean] gardens and enjoy the flowers [son might not enjoy]. walk into a 'coffee shop' and look at the menu. walk around a lot and enjoy the street artists and the tall, slim houses. go to the anne frank house about 1.5 hours before it closes...less of a crowd. you have GOT to go to the van gogh muse, and there is also the Riyksmuseum [sp?].
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:21 PM

I really liked the Leidseplein district for people-watching, restaurants, shops, street performers. If the weather is nice go to Vondelpark.

For dinner try a Rijst-Tafel (Indonesian 'rice table' lots of small bowls of food for two people to share).
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Everything babyfat and suze said are great ideas! I would only add hop on a tram and wander about. And walk along the canals, which is easy to do after or before your trip to the Anne Frank house.

I'm sure you'll be taking KLM -- we did that from L.A. last summer, and it was wonderful! Have a great trip!
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Unless you can talk on your cell phone, hold an umbrella, smoke a cigarette, and dodge traffic ... all while riding a bike in high heels (!!) I'd think twice about renting one within the city. But maybe in the park?
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:24 AM
jor

Some general advise about Amsterdam. Lots of drug related crime there. Be careful.
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Jor, that's bullshit. There are some pickpockets, so be careful with your valuables, but other than that Amsterdam is pretty safe. I have lots of female colleagues and friends who will bike home alone in the middle of the night.
Babyfat: Keukenhof is the name of the flower garden. Unfortunately, it is only open late March - late May every year and will be closed this coming weekend.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
jor

Sjoerd, thanks for calling my personal observations and accounts by other travelers "bullshit". Your "colleagues and friends who will bike home" don't sound like tourists to me. Thieves know that tourists have more money on them, hense they get robbed more often.