2 days, 2 nights Verona

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days, 2 nights Verona

Hello,

My husband and I plan on spending 2 days and 2 nights in Verona in late June. Since we're starting our trips in Venice and flying out of Milan, we're hoping to avoid renting a car and plan on utilizing the trains. (Thank you GAC for all of your train posts.)

For the two days in Verona, we thought we'd spend one day walking the town, and a second day heading over to Lake Garda. Is it possible to enjoy a day on the lake via public transportation, or would our time be better spent staying inside the ancient city? With all the walking around we'll be doing in Venice (3 days) and Milan (1 day), the thought of a day of lounging at the lake is appealing.

Your thoughts?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM

Karen,

Last May my husband and I spent 8 days in Verona, daytripping out to various places. Our favorite day was a bus ride up to Riva del Garda, at the northern tip of the lake. The bus ride took about 2 hours 15 minutes, but what a scenic ride, and it was nice to rest the feet after so many days of active sightseeing. The bus stopped at many quaint towns along the way. We had a leisurely lunch in beautiful Riva, strolled along the lakeside promenade watching the clouds skim over the mountain tops, then caught a ferry to Malcesine, where we took the cable car up to the top of Monte Baldo for a panoramic view of the area. From Malcesine, we caught the bus back to Verona.

There is apparently a separate bus line that goes from Verona to Sirmione at the south end of the lake. We didn't make it there as we were too busy enjoying Riva. You can do a search for GAC's bus service to Lake Garda posts for more info. The Verona bus station is right across the street from the train station.

On the other hand, we spent hours and hours and HOURS sitting in Piazza Bra in Verona, people watching. What a great city.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM

I am a great fan of Verona, and think that 2 days and 2 nights are not too much, but only you can tell. The city isn't that big and there are lots of places to rest, including the above mentioned Piazza Bra.

I once spent most of an afternoon sitting in the almost hidden Piazza Dante Aligheri. And a morning sitting inside the Roman Amphitheatre. Good lounging in this town. Fabulous shops for browsing, very stylish stuff.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

tuscanlifeedit,

Where is this Piazza Dante Aligheri? I couldn't find it on my not-so-detailed map. Is it the same as Piazza Signori, the little square behind Piazza delle Erbe, with the statue of Dante?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:16 PM

For one who will be spending the day in Verona in a few weeks, I'm quite looking forward to this trip-and seeing that Roman Theatre-it still amazes me that a structure built for theatre in 1 AD is STILL being used for that purpose, some 2,000 years later!

Of course, I also intend to pay a visit to Juliet's house-Casa di Giulietta-that should be fun as well!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Yes, Piazza Dante Alighieri and Piazza dei Signori are one and the same! Pretty confusing!

You can get to it from Piazza Erbe, there is a whale rib hanging above the little passage in between the restaurants and a pharmacy I think that will take you through!

xverso xxxx