2 day stopover in Zurich

Search

2 day stopover in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 day stopover in Zurich

My friend and I will have a 2 day stopover in Zurich on our way to Macedonia. We are 2 girls in our early 40's. Can anyone please give us some suggestions on what area we should stay in, as well as hotel recs? Since we plan to use our hotel mainly to sleep and shower,we prefer to spend less than $150-$200/night. Should we spend both days in Zurich, or should we spend one day going to Lucerne or something? I'd love to see of Switzerland's beauty outside of the city, but this may have to wait for a separate trip. We welcome any input!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM
kja

I enjoyed my time in Zurich, but many people will advise you to take your time and visit other parts of Switzerland. It really just depends on what you want to see and experience. You might click on "Destinations" in the upper center part of this webpage to learn more, or you might consult a guidebook or two.

Hotels in Zurich are notoriously expensive. One exception is the Hotel St. Josef, which is not far from the train station. I was satisfied with my time there, and it still seems to get good reviews.
http://www.st-josef.ch/en/

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Some people seem to loathe Zurich and will suggest you not even bother setting foot in the town. I like old towns in cities, and I enjoyed a few hours exploring Zurich's charming old neighborhoods. However, it is an expensive city, so I didn't feel like spending a lot of time there.

If you arrive late the first day and depart early the third, you might not really have a lot of time to go far. I'm pretty sure you could day trip easily to Lucerne, maybe even go there directly from the airport if you wish to skip Zurich. I've not been to Lucerne - looks lovely. If you prefer old towns, maybe this is a better option for you. I'd look on the SBB website and check train or bus connections from the Zurich airport to Lucerne.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from the astronomic prices I enjoyed Zurich. I stayed near the station in a hotel I found on booking.com.

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ecting-zurich/
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend Pension St Josef.

It is a 10-minute walk from the Bahnhof Platz. There is a Coop Supermarket in between.

Zürich is beaucoup expensive!

Thin
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 02:28 AM

The more we get to know Zurich, the more we like it. It has lots of mini-neighborhoods with their own vibe. It also has some stonking good cocktail bars. Last week-end, for example, we spent a lovely two hours relaxing with drinks on the large outdoor terrace of Movie, a film-themed bar and restaurant. It's on a nice little side street off Bahnhofstrasse. Fab place to chill and people watch on a warm summer evening.
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 02:13 PM

If your planes arrives early the first day, I also vote for exploring Zurich.
On day two, Luzern is just one hour my train. Definitely try to experience both!
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 06:30 AM

We recently had a stopover in Zurich mostly to meet up from different origins and get over jetlag. We ended up booking at the Holiday Inn Express Airport for around $100 per night including breakfast. It provided free shuttle to/from airport and it is 5-10 minute walk to the local train station with 30 minute S-Bahn trip to the main train station.

We took the S-bahn to Zurich for one afternoon/evening to see the old town, river and lake, eat dinner, stop in a store. Compared to many other European city centers, it is OK, but not outstanding. We missed the church with the Chagall stained glass because of timing. So it was a pleasant half day to relax, but we were done after that.

Train to Luzern is easy from airport or HB with frequent departures. Do it! We didn't this trip because we had been before. Instead we spent a day via train wandering around Appenzell region.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Not sure if you've left or not, I don't see a timeline in your post, but here's my mini-trip report that might give you some ideas.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...goes-there.cfm

We didn't go to Lucerne, but would if we had a do-over.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 11:12 AM

I'd love to see of Switzerland's beauty outside of the city, but this may have to wait for a separate trip>

I'd trek by train straight to Lucerne upon landing and spend all your time there. Zurich is nice for a large modern city but Lucerne IMO is much nicer and smaller and you can actually see the Alps from it - with a full day there you can take a boat ride on the lovely lake and even experience the high Alps at Engelberg-just an hour or so by train from Lucerne- ride the unique revolving cable car to near the simmit of Mt Titlis. This is what you could easily experience with a full day in Lucerne area:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+t...w=1920&bih=950

For lots on Swiss trains and boats check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

About an hour from Zurich Airport to Lucerne-changing just once on most in Zurich's main station.