Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 day Layover in London- Please Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-day-layover-in-london-please-help-528368/)

AnnieGoo May 11th, 2005 03:33 PM

2 day Layover in London- Please Help!

Advice will be appreciated regarding the following questions. We are flying into Gatwick on an easyjet flight that arrives at 12:10 p.m. We leave Heathrow the next day at 8:00 p.m. This is our first trip to London and I will be traveling with two teenage boys; therefore I want simple and stressfree travel methods. Here are the questions:

1: Is the gatwick express most economical and easiest method to get into Central London? Likewise, is the Heathrow Express best/most economical method to get to Heathrow?

2: Where to stay? Victoria or Pattington area? The gatwick express takes us into Victoria station (we will arrive the first day) and then leave the next day from Pattington Station for Heathrow? Which is a better area to stay? Also, we plan to take the Big Bus tour... does that come into play for one of these areas?

Many thanks!!

janis May 11th, 2005 03:50 PM

Gatwick Express is fastest and easiest way to get in from LGW. It is not the cheapest. There are other trains that are not "Express" but only take about 10 minutes longer and cost less.

The Heathrow Express from Paddington (note the spelling) is very fast and easy - but is definitely not cheap and is the easiest ONLY if you are staying near Paddington. For many parts of London, taking the tube is faster and it costs a fraction of HEX.

The Big Bus and Original tours both have stops near both Paddington and Victoria, so no difference there.

I'd personally stay near Victoria or in South Kensington. Both are easily accessible from the Gatwick Express either walikng (Victoria) or by a short tube ride (S. Kensington).

South Kensington is where the V&A, Science and Natural History museums are and it is on the direct tube line to LHR.

AnnieGoo May 11th, 2005 03:56 PM

So if we stayed near Victoria Station, could take the tube to Heathrow? Would that be time consuming during rush hour? We need to be at Heathrow at 6:00 p.m. (to catch a 8:00 flight) which would put us traveling during the rush hour. Is the Heathrow Express a better option during that time of day? Also if we took the tube to Heathrow, from Victoria Station, would it require a change of trains?

janis May 11th, 2005 04:04 PM

If you stay near Victoria you would need to change tube lines. But if you stay in South Kensington you would not have to change lines.

The Paddington Express will be fast IF you stay near Paddington. Otherwise the tube would probably be faster.

The tube will be crowded at 5 p.m.- but so will most forms of transport. If speed to LHR is your main criteria - then stay at Paddington -- but it is not the nicest nor most convenient location in London for sightseeing

Gardyloo May 11th, 2005 04:06 PM

I would not take the tube to LHR for an 8 PM departure; luggage is a hassle, trains crowded to the max, <i>plus</i> construction at the LHR Terminal 4 tube station means those trains stop at Hatton Cross (last station before LHR) and you're shuttled to the airport by bus (and through dreadful airport traffic, too.) Don't know if T4 is your destination (British Airways mostly) but if so, fuggedabouddit.

Use the HEX and look for hotel bargains (or Priceline) to cover the additional cost.

isabel May 11th, 2005 04:09 PM

The tube line that goes to Heathrow is The Piccadilly Line. It's very easy and shouldn't take more than an hour even at that time of day. Victoria Station is not on the Piccadilly Line, but it is only one or two stops away. If you stayed in the South Kensington area, which is quite close to Victoria, that is on the Piccadilly Line. That would definitly be what I would do.

AnnieGoo May 11th, 2005 04:13 PM

Thanks for the information. It seems that HEX seems best option at that time of day. Many thanks!