Search

2 book recs for self-guided walks in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 book recs for self-guided walks in Paris

Hi
I've been looking at two books lately that I recommend.
One is Frommer's Memorable Walks in Paris.
Self-guided walks through popular areas, with some interesting historical, architectural, snacking, and sightseeing notes. Good choice for the first or second-time visitor.

For even more detail, Walking Paris, by
Gilles Desmons. Aspires to be almost a building-by-building itinerary of major routes and several off-the-beaten-track meanders.Indicates also some hidden alleys or passages along the routes.

As it happens, the Frommer's walks have one or two details that the Desmons's walks don't mention, so in order to carry only one book with me I'm going to write in some additional notes in my Desmons book.

By the way, Frommers also used to publish a Memorable Walks in Venice book, and I loved it, still treasure my copy and take it with me on repeat visits. Last time I checked on amazon it was out of print, but if it is ever available again, I highly recommend.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I have Frommers Memorable Walks in London which I plan on using on the next visit. Another guide book for Paris I like is Walks in Hemingway's Paris. It will take you through his old stomping grounds and it led me to one of my most memerable experiences in Europe.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM

rj007,
I, too, love Hemingway's Paris. Can you share your memorable experience?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:56 AM

zeppo2

In 1995 during my first vist to Europe, I was using the book and found his first apartment at 74 rue Cardinal Lemoine. I took some pictures and was getting ready to leave when a woman came out and said "Are you Mr.Kennedy?'
It turned out she and her husband owned Hemingway's apartment.

Mr. Kennedy was a college professor who was teaching a summer school class on the Lost Generation. He showed up a couple of minutes later with his students and she invited me to come visit Hemingway's apartment. We walked up the stairs he used to walk up and while we were there, Mr. Kennedy took out a bottle of wine and we drank a toast to Hemingway.

One of the pictures I took was from the window looking out to the street. A few years ago the Smithsonian had a celebration marking the centennial of his birth and released a photographic biography of him. One of the pictures in that book was taken from the window in 1923. I thought - this picture looks familiar!

A few years ago Michael Palin of Monty Python fame who is a Hemingway fan did a 4 hour series on the entire life of EH and he visited the apartment as well.

That visit to Hemingway's apartment will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

great story!!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Elaine, I have that book by Desmons. The edition I have has a cool cover photo of St.Eustache, framed by one of those green trellises at Les Halles. I also like Pariswalks, by Alison & Sonia Landes.

Nice story, rj...how lucky for you. I've been in front of the building, but not inside.

In addition to Walks in Hemingway's Paris, three other literary books are...

Paris: A Literary Companion, by Ian Littlewood
Walks in Gertrude Stein's Paris, by Mary Ellen Jordan Haight
Paris Portraits: Walks on the Right Bank, also by Haight
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM

I also have the Desmons book. In the past, I have copied the walks I wanted to take, so then don't have to lug around the whole book on the trip. It has lots of walks! I, too, like the Pariswalks book by the Landes. Only a few walks, but extremely detailed and interesting for each of them. I tore out the pages for each walk in that book (amazingly, they stay bound together!). As you can tell, I hate to carry much around on my walking and sightseeing!.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
rj007, we'd love to see those photos. Are they somewhere on line?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Wow--that's a great travel story!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:20 PM

cigalechanta

Hi, I had never thought of putting them online as I took them long before I got on the net. I will see about getting them online for you.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:53 AM

If you read French, Michelin puts out one called "Idees de Promenades a Paris," which I've been reading. My French is not really that great, so it's actually a useful exercise. I'm intending to post some translations here adapted from the guide book and link some of these to the Paris superthread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34519236

For a link of the book, see
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...948441-6012102

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM

"City Walks: Paris" published by Chronicle books.

Fifty walks, each on a pocket-sized card. A metro stop at each end.

Another portable option, see: www.walkinguides.com
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:06 AM

I bought the card-deck and skimmed thru it... looks like a neat way to package up a couple of walks next to each other, a bit of explanation about things along the way, and a map of the route. Very handy size.
Or, just toss deck up in the air, close your eyes and grab up 2 or 3, then go!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:12 AM

There's another resource called "Soundwalk":

http://www.soundwalk.com

I've seen very nice reviews of their stuff on NYC -- in fact, I've bought two of these CDs, but I've yet to try them. There's one for Paris for St-Germain. It'd be interesting to know if someone has tried it. I may try to get a copy if I can find one on sale.