2 and a half Days Rome Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planing a trip to Rome, touching down airport 8pm on 18 Dec 10 ( Sat ). Leaving Rome 21 Dec 2010 ( Tue ) 5pm flight. My group members are 5 adults.We are staying in River Palace Hotel,Via Flaminia 33,00196 Roma. We have two full days ie Sunday and Monday, and maybe half a day on Tuesday to explore what is availble in Rome. Appreciate if there is proposal on possible itinerary to maximize our coverage on must-see places. I understand that the Vatican Museum is closed on Sunday, is that the case? Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM

If you look under destinations above you will see a 3 day tour of Rome (less than that is really cutting things short).

But to give you specific advice it would help to know your interests - WHY you are going to Rome. It's you point talking about ancient Rome if that isn't your interest - or Renaissance art if you don;t care for that.

If you're not sure suggest you start reading a couple of guide books - with pics.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM

The Vatican Museums are closed on Sundays, except the last Sunday of each month when they are both free and even more crowded than ever.

Most other museums are closed on Mondays. So, you could see several sites on Sunday and do the Vatican Museums on Monday.

Go to my website and bring up the Googlemaps. You'll find 6, self-guided tours we set up. Since you are limited in time, you could pick and choose from the various locations. Each google location has an associated MP3 file linked to it, so you can learn more about it. Also, in the Library area is our free downloadable guidebook that you can print out and have it bound at your local Office Depot or Staples. The instructions on how to do this are on the first page of the book. You'll also find things like our favorite bus routes and lots of other free stuff. You don't sign up for anything, it is all freely available.

www.passagetoroma.com

dave
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
daveesl, great website.

if only we were going to be in rome any time soon!
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave and Nytraveler for your responce and guidance.

We are just casual traveler without any particular interest in mind.It is just simply holidaying in Rome for sight seeing. We plan to explore Ancient Rome and Vatican.
How much time you think we should allocate for Vatican? One full day on Monday or just half a day will do?
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM

If you want to see St Peter's, including the dome and the Treasury and even the basics of the Vatican museums it will take the best part of the day. If you want to take the Scavi tour (you must reserve in advance since entrance is limited and the Castel SantAngelo it't unlikely to fit into one day.

The roman Forum can easily take 4 or 5 hours to explore (not study - just explore), then add the Colosseum (unless you want to see just he outside) and that's the best part of another day.

Then you will need time to explore one or more other museums, some churches,a couple of the beautiful piazzas/fountains, the Pantheon and some downtime - just sitting in a cafe watching the world go by.

You will have to choose very carefully what to omit in the very limited time you have.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nytraveller.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi wozai,

in two visits to Rome, we've now been to St. Peter's and the Vatican 3 times - which i think indicates that to try to do it all in a day is probably a) impossible, and b) unwise.

frankly, unless you like looking at art with 1000s of other people breathing down your neck, the vatican museums can probably be given a miss. yes, i know that this means missing the sistine chapel too, but again, its wonders are somewhat diluted by the fatigue one is feeling by the time one gets there, and the cruch of the other people in there.

a much better plan I suggest is to get to St. Peter's as early as possible so as to miss the crowds, and go up the dome straight away. then tour the Basilica at your own pace when you come down. if you can co-orndinate this with a Scavi tour at the same time, so much the better. if you manage the Dome, then I personally would not bother with the Castel san angelo, as the view is very similar and there are no other reasons for going there.

as for the Forum/colosseum, if you are short of time, I suggest missing the forum altogether, except insofar as it allows you to get the required ticket without queuing at the colosseum. [if you are not gettting a Roma pass]. if you really want to understand the forum, i suggest doing a tour - otherwise skip it. the capitoline museums are much more worthy of your time, and the views from the top of the vittoriano are well worth climbing all those steps.

the other museum you may enjoy is the doria pamphilji, which has a lot of beautiful works, an English commentary, and is blessedly free of other tourists!

otherwise, a gentle stroll around Trastevere is lots of fun [don't misss St. Cecelia and the mosaics in the underground chapel] and/or the ghetto area [lovely lunches in the local restaurants there]

my best tip - don't feel that you have to fill every moment with a scheduled activity - one of the joys of Rome is just wandering around, going into the churches you pass, and seeing ehat treasures they hold, then stopping for a coffee or something stronger!