Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 American Girls headed for Rome - Amalfi Coast Apr 22-27 - where to stay, nightlife?

Search

2 American Girls headed for Rome - Amalfi Coast Apr 22-27 - where to stay, nightlife?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites! Just joined the forum, and am loving the tips everyone has on Amalfi. We are 2 28 y/o girls from NYC area who just booked our trip last week - we are arriving Rome 22 April and departing 27 April. Based upon advice from posts, am thinking we will stay in Rome first night - Thurs - (both have been to Rome before, but want to see a bit more and get over jet lag a bit) then rent car Fri AM to drive south. We currently plan to drive directly to Ravello for view and late lunch, then down into Amalfi or Positano to stay Fri night. After that...what's your advice? If we want nightlife, how do Amalfi, Positano, Capri, and Sorrento stack up? Also, for hotels, we are looking mid-range...e.g. Villa Rosa, Buca di Bacco, etc. Your thoughts? Currently plan to drive back to Rome on Monday afternoon for last/ fifth night, stopping along the way at Pompeii or Herculaneum...or can we easily make drive from Sorrento to Fiumicino airport on Tuesday AM for 1:30 PM flight? Can't wait for your advice...and would love to hear from any Fodorites who might be in same area during that time!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Positano does not really have any nightlife geared towards singles. I think you would be better off spending a night on Capri. But if you want to spend a quiet evening in Positano, the town is lovely. You can stay at Hotel l'Ancora which is not very expensive. As a day trip you could go to Pompeii from Positano very easily. You can either drive there (by the way, Hotel L'Ancora has free parking for its guests) or you can take a bus to Sorrento and train to Pompeii Scavi.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM

We were in Rome and Amalfi with friends last May and it seemed to us that there was the most nightlife in the downtown Sorrento area. They close off some of the streets to cars and the people wander from restaurant to bar to shop. Although we didn't exactly find anything remotely like you're probably used to in NYC, but what the heck, just viewing the Italian men made the evening worthwhile.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM

I agree with IgorVodov....Positano is actually where a lot of people honeymoon...very romantic and quiet.

If you want nightlife I would recommend Rome definitely.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM

There is nightlife in Positano but not until late May early June. Music on the Rocks will open for the season and so will Club Africana. There is a new wine bar in Positano, but it you will be there so early in the season it might not be very lively.

I was just in Sorrento and there are two English pubs which are lively at night, but nary an Italian in sight inside. The Americans, British and Germans enjoy the pubs though.

The Italian locals all meet around Tasso Square and the bar/restaurant there or on the blocked off streets on the weekends (in Sorrento).

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:52 AM

Sorrento is the only place on the Amalfi Coast where I would consider there to be much nightlife,clubs,music bars,pubs etc..
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi happy,

Sorrento would be the best place for nightlife.

I would rethink the car.

You can take the Train from Rome to Naples and the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento.

The SITA bus will take you along the Coast Road through Positano to Amalfi. From there you can take the bus to Ravello.

You can also take the ferry from Sorrento to Positano and to Amalfi.

Much cheaper, and easier than a car.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips!

I think we are narrowing itinerary to be 1st night Rome, 2nd night Amalfi or Positano, 3rd night Capri, 4th night Sorrento, then 5th night Rome.

I have taken many suggestions from this board for hotels in Positano, but what about Amalfi? From what everyone has said about Positano being more for honeymooners, would you advise we would be better to stay in Amalfi?

Other suggestions for hotels in Sorrento, Capri?

Thank you!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Amalfi and Positano are about the same excitement levels, I would suggest staying in Sorrento and taking day trips to Positano and Amalfi on the SITA bus, this way you won't spend so much time repacking and checking into and out of hotels which will take up alot of your short time. I think if you are going to spend the night on Capri make it your first of your stay and the rest in Sorrento.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi happy,

Why all the packing and unpacking to move 60 km?

Also, it is not that difficult to continue on to Sorrento from FCO.

I suggest, 1st 2 nights in Sorrento, ferry to Amalfi and SITA bus back. Visit Amalfi and Positano.

Overnight trip to Capri. Ferry to Naples and

Return to Rome for 2 nights.

Don't rent a car. You can hire a driver from Naples train station to Sorrento for much less.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Hi, If you stay at Buca di Bacco on the weekend you should find yourself a good time. I was there in late April two years ago, it was May day weekend and there were plenty of Italian men (not quite tourist season yet) that seemed ready willing and able to charm a few American girls. If you do go to Buca di Bacco arrange for a driver to take you to a trattoria called Donna Rossa, it was way up on top of Positano. The drive up was really amazing and so was the food. It is a small family place with great food and really nice hosts.

Have fun