Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2.5 weeks in France and Europe during Christmas and New Year (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-5-weeks-in-france-and-europe-during-christmas-and-new-year-906320/)

jffok Sep 16th, 2011 01:16 PM

2.5 weeks in France and Europe during Christmas and New Year

Hello, I am planning a family vacation in Europe from 12/17/2011 to 1/4/2012. We (me, wife and 2 teenagers) will flight in and out Paris. This is our first trip to Europe. We want to see historical sites, buildings, museums, scenery and to experience European cultural. We plan to spend the first couple days in Paris, then travel to other cities and return to Paris on 12/31 to spend new year in Paris. Many posts in this forum suggested to visit big cities in winter. Our initial pick of cities include Paris, Lyon, Nice, Rome, Venice and Florence. Will it be too many cities in 2.5 weeks? Do you have other suggestions for which cities to visit in France or around France in winter? Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.

denisea Sep 16th, 2011 02:20 PM

I would resist the temptation to try to cram too much in. IMO you have too many cities on the itinerary already.

I would re-consider your thought on where to fly in and out of...maybe fly into Rome or Venice and out of Paris...less time in train stations and more time to enjoy the sites.

I can't say how it will be in Winter, but I love Venice. 2-3 days there will be plenty.

Paris is fantastic at Christmas time...we were there last year and loved it. I would skip Lyon and Nice and focus on Paris, Rome and Venice.

You could certainly take a day trip or two from Paris...but I could spend the whole time in Paris and not be bored. The stores are all decorated for Christmas plus the Christmas markets will be in full swing...lots of fun and food to sample! I remember seeing a post last year where the OP took a day trip to Strasbourg for the markets there. It looked great. (You can search for posts from me to find my T/Rs from our trip, if you are interested).

You will gets lots more and more specific advice on this from other Fodorites, so stay tuned. Enjoy your trip.

jffok Sep 17th, 2011 09:05 AM

denisea, thank you for your suggestion. Both my boys speak some French so it will be more convenient to visit French cities. Besides Paris, which city would you recommend to visit as a base? Thanks.

Underhill Sep 17th, 2011 10:48 AM

We love Nice in December; the city bustles with shoppers, the Christmas lights are stunningly beautiful, and there are special foods to be had.

qwovadis Sep 17th, 2011 11:05 AM

Have done a trip like this in and out of Paris which was very
festive and snowed when we were there and was quite cold.We
tok the TGV down to www.lecalendal.com Arles then Nice the
Meridien then Portofino www.metropole.it then Rome Florence
Venice-tourism.com took the Cisalpino train back therough
tha alps and Geneva to Paris.

It was wonderful... if not Italy more sunfrance.com

Carcassonne-tourisme.com Kids love the castle

Hotel du Cite my fav there

www.beaune.com also

seat61.com good train info

booking.com best honest reviews discounts

eurocheapo.com great city guides hotel food tips

Stay flexible for best experience...

mamcalice Sep 17th, 2011 11:08 AM

Have you purchased your airline tickets yet? If so, I would spend the entire time in France. If not, I would purchase openjaw (or multicity) tickets, flying to Rome and back from Paris. In this case, I would spend the first 10 or 11 days seeing Rome, Florence and Venice and fly from Venice to Paris for New Years.

If you try to do it all you will be on the move and not have a chance to really experience your destinations.

jffok Sep 17th, 2011 02:29 PM

mamcalice, we have already purchased the airline tickets. You suggested to spend the entire time (18 days) in France. Besides Paris, which French cities would you recommend to visit in winter?

denisea Sep 18th, 2011 09:14 AM

I hope you get an answer to your question....check on Nice as suggested by Underhill. I only know Paris (and still have more to learn there).

Underhill Sep 18th, 2011 10:53 AM

Other cities: Strasbourg, which has a wonderful Christmas market (you'll find those throughout France in December); Lyon; Dijon; Rouen; Avignon.

jffok Sep 21st, 2011 08:10 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do some research on those cities.

Michel_Paris Sep 21st, 2011 08:21 AM

I've been ot Lyon, but in Bovember, so cannot speak to the Xmas vibe of the place. I liked it and would go back. I spent about 4 days there.

The Old Town is a big draw for me, and I ended up there every day. Cathedral, nice shops, old builsings, the 'traboules", and then funicalur up to Fourviere, the roman amphitheatre, views over the city, Gallo-Roman museum, walk down Montee St Bathelemy. Down belo.. Place des Terraux, Place Bellecour,etc... All within one walking area. And, some good restaurants.

I also took a train over to Chambery, base of Alps, scenic ride.