Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2-4-6-8th=where do you appreciate your hotel in Paris?

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay-I am taking the "college princess" to Paris over her fall break (Halloween weekend in October). The poor child has not been there since she was 7; well before she became worldly and learned French...well,you get it? Anyway, it is to be a fun mother-daughter weekend with lots of wine/great food,shopping and sightseeing. My problem is that I have only stayed at the same two hotels for work the past 5 years and I don't think that is where we want to be (Concorde Lafayette and Novotel Eiffel Tower).So I would love my Fodor buddies to offer up a cute,reasonable hotel(3 stars and no more than $125 a night USD) that is centrally located to a great metro stop yet in an area where we could enjoy a nice dinner,etc. If is it near a Monoprix,even better.I look forward to your suggestions!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

Two very well-reviewed hotels in that price range are Hotel Monge (in the 5th) and Hotel Muguet (in the 7th). Both are 2* hotels, however. I think there are few, if any, centrally located 3* hotels in the 100 Euro range (which is approximately $125 USD), outside of Priceline or Hotwire.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Hotel Grand'ecoles may appeal to you and your daughter. Our room was $115 per night and attractively decorated in toile fabric. A garden area is the highlight of this hotel. Metro is Cardinal Lemoine and there are many restaurants nearby. And it has an elevator. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Try this hotel/residence by the lovely St. Sulpice church in the 5th arr.-it's absolutely near to everything you could want by way of sights, local flavor and particularly restaurants-take a look at their map. It even has a kitchenette and balconies as well:

Saint Sulpice Residence

www.saintsulpiceresidence.com/

Residence de
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:51 AM

correction: the 6th arr., not 5th. very near the Blvd. St. Germain
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi df,

I think that Nini meant
Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

It is a 2*.

I doubt that you can find a 3* for $125.
If you chabnge that to Euro, I can highly recommend the Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th.

There is a monoprix at the corner where Rue Bonaparte meets Blvd St Germaine 50 Rue de Rennes

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Actually, the single studio at the Residence Saint Sulpice (which has a double bed) is 88 Euros, which is about $108,00 a night (you can add an extra bed for 20 Euros).
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Grandes Ecoles was a 2* for a long time, but is a 3* now.

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005ecoles.htm
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:12 AM

If you do change to 125 Euros, there's a 3 star in the 2d arr., that I like as well, in a great location by Opera, with both French charm and faded elegance, HOTEL FAVART

www.hotel-favartopera.com/index.english.html
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gipsytravelgirl: Unfortunately - that €88 is only for the single flat where they do not offer an additional bed (it is far too small for 2 beds). The double where the CAN add a bed is up to €130 / nearly $170
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:18 AM

There are some 3* and plenty of 2* that can be had for around 100€ that are centrally located and have decent/good comments on TA:

Author: Travelnut
Date: 07/28/2006, 10:13 pm
A room for 100€ can be had at a reasonably central hotel that is clean and will have an en-suite bathroom, TV, and elevator. Most hotels in Paris are in older buildings and may have different room sizes and shapes. You might be able to hear some plumbing once in a while; the halls have self-timing lights so just push the button and the light will come back on. They might have radiators in the room for heat instead of central heat. Nearly always, the breakfast will be an extra charge, which you can take or decline (and go eat at a cafe instead). You just need to know that this is normal and correct for French hotels - they won't look like those in the US for $100. So be ready to accept the charming differences and enjoy yourselves.

Hotel Vendome Saint Germain * * 96-127€
8 Rue d'Arras 75005
http://www.paris-hotelvendome.com/

Hotel Minerve *** 100-116€
33 Rue des Ecoles 75005
http://www.hotel-paris-minerve.com/

Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche ** 65-105 €
6, rue du Gros Caillou - 75007
http://www.hotel-eiffel.com/hotel_rg_home.htm

Grand Hotel Leveque ** 87-110€
29 Rue Cler 75007
http://www.hotel-leveque.com/index.php

Hotel Louvre Forum ** 91-101€
25 Rue du Bouloi 75001
http://www.paris-hotel-louvre-forum.com/
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006regs.htm

This gets very good reviews and is well located in the 6th. It seems to meet your price need.

Dont confuse it with Hotel Regent on Rue Dauphine which is nice but more expensive.

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:24 AM

uh, Janis-if you read my post above, that's EXACTLY what I said, the single flat IS a double bed, and have you stayed there? Because I don't know that it's too small for another bed-I do know they offer an extra bed for 20 Euros, and the review of that particular flat describes it as "medium sized."
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the fast response on this. I just saw that there is a major art fair that week in Paris so I know that I must get a place ASAP!(Just don't tell the hubs that it is really an excuse to purchase another Longchamp purse!!!!)Anyone else? Thanks-
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to ask all-do you guys take the Air France bus to town and then cab over to the particular hotel or what?I am so used to being picked up at the pad by the plane that I cannot remember how I used to get in there on my own?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Girlspytravel: Yes the "single" has a double bed, and they DO offer an extra bend for £20. HOWEVER - they don't put an extra bed in the single (unless they have changed their rules since Feb). They only offer an extra bed in the "double" or possibly the duplex. So unless dutyfree and her daughter want to sleep together - they'd have to pay over their budget.

I have not stayed there, but friends tried to book there last winter and that is what they were told.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM

dutyfree, I think some people may do that, but not a lot. I did that once, but it wasn't worth the trouble in time, etc., for the very minor savings when you do that. You have two people, so you'd have two bus fares and then a cab. You just aren't going to save hardly anything by doing that over just taking a taxi.

I've seen the Residence Saint Sulpice info on various websites and it does not say they will allow an extra bed in the "single" apt. By definition, a room a hotel calls a single is a room they won't allow extra beds in. Whether it has a double bed is irrelevant for that, as lots of single rooms I've stayed in have had double beds. They still won't book two people in them at the single rate. I doubt if this mom and daughter want to sleep in the same double bed, which is not going to be queen size, but regular, I imagine.

I also think 100 euro is very low for a centrally located 3* hotel, although some 2*s are around. My usual hotel is more than that in peak hotel season (like October), and it's not even in the more expensive areas like St Germain.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For something COMPLETELY different: www.eldoradohotel.com
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oops...that was supposed to be www.eldoradohotel.fr
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

What would you all expect for a decent 3 star in a decent area in October? And NO I don't want to be in the same bed as the "princess" as she has a tendency to thrash around all night. Our basic needs are: two singles/decent area/ close metro that has a main line through it/ shopping,restaurants nearby for an evening of a good bottle of wine and not a long walk home (have a really bad knee). Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -