1wk in LaAlberca where to go 2 nd wk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to janisj for the advice. My friend and I will be in LaAlberca for 1 week in June and are looking for somewhere else to go for another week. We have contemplated renting a car but do not want to get into driving with no understanding of Spanish. Any suggestions on where to go for another week, not too costly, perhaps local bus tour? Suggestions on taking a bus to Barcelona from LaAlberca and doing day trips from there?
Thanks to those who answered my very general request, on to request #2
jo
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Do you mean La Alberca (Salamanca) ? Going to Barcelona is just to cross Spain West to East ..nothing I would recommend by bus..even by train is hard but at least you can move a bit
Why don't you go to Seville ? It's easier from Salamanca by bus and not as long as Barcelona Or go North to Santander or Asturias, anywhere you choose is beautiful and deserve the week or even more
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Also read your other post and in a way understand your delimma. Although not recently, I've traveled to Spain a number of times both alone or with my hubby or a friend. Have traveled by car, train & bus; all serve their own purposes. In May I'm going back with my daughter and we'll get around by train. Are you familiar with European travel? Maybe not because you might know how great the train system is. Since you expressed some apprehension re. driving...don't! There should be no need for a car. I doubt you are going off the beaten path where a car would be necessary, right?
From La Alberca, there are side trips to Avila, Savilla and of course Madrid where you are probably flying into. At least allow time for a bus tour of the beautiful capitol. You'll be pleasently surprised by the many green parks, sculpture filled squares and sparkling white, exquisitely designed buildings. If you like art, the Prado is fabulous.
Pack a good Spanish phrase book, learn some basic words & between the 2 of you, you should get by just fine. Enough people speak English, especially in tourist areas, so it shouldn't be a big problem. In restaurants ask if they have an English menu. If not, keep looking.
There isn't anyplace that I would suggest staying for a whole week unless you rent a condo on the Med.Sea I love Toledo, an hr S. of Madrid but the streets are hilly for walking if that matters. It's good for a side trip or an overnight on the way to Seville, with its maze of narrow streets in the old town. Good Flamenco too & of course lots more. From there Granada could round out your week but a train change is in order mid-way. The Alhambra and Gypsy caves there are a must.
There are so many good travel books out there, Fodor's and Rick Steves are easy to follow. You'll read about the siesta hours, eating tapas during that time and what to do on Sundays when so much is closed.
You mentioned about being mid-age. I am past that so....go for it, laugh at your mistakes and enjoy all the surprises that are waiting for you.
Now I think I'lll post a question of my own!
Good luck girls!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Well Marciamae, thank you too for the fantastic ideas. I can see you are a seasoned traveler. I have been to Europe several times, predominately Holland where there is family. I have not ventured out without other family (seasoned European travellers) leading the way. My friend and I are excited about spreading our wings, so to speak. I am sure knowing the 2 of us there will be many laughs. Middleage can be so carefree!!! Thanks again for the good tips, with all this info our trip is taking shape nicely. Right now we are sitting at -11C, so anywhere in Spain sounds wonderful. Enjoy your time with your daughter, mine are jeleaous and would love to come with us. Keep the tips coming.
jo
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kenderina. I am cutting and pasting all these good ideas.
Jo