Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1US$ is now 1.01EURO (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1us-is-now-1-01euro-234582/)

Adam Smith Jun 26th, 2002 08:58 AM

1US$ is now 1.01EURO

Ouch!

big Jun 26th, 2002 09:44 AM

At least the conversion will be easy.

cdntourist Jun 26th, 2002 04:21 PM

You Americans are sooo lucky! 1.00 Euro costs $1.52 Canadian.

z Jun 26th, 2002 06:19 PM

Costs me 32 Rubles.<BR><BR>Das<BR><BR><BR>

juanita Jun 26th, 2002 06:33 PM

how many pesos is that?

Pierre Jun 26th, 2002 06:46 PM

We now get $1 U.S. for 1.01 euro. This makes me very happy for my trip to the United States. <BR><BR>May the euro continue to grow stronger.

Natasha Jun 26th, 2002 06:50 PM

Pierre, <BR>When do you sleep? You always seem to be posting in the wee small hours (France time zone).<BR><BR>:)

Pierre Jun 26th, 2002 06:55 PM

How can I sleep at all when I am much excited about the euro growing stronger?

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 07:35 PM

Several people on this board forecast this back in March.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1354718<BR>

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 07:37 PM

Also previously mentioned here:<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 05/10/2002, 11:36 pm<BR><BR>Message: At the end of John McLaughlin show on PBS tonight, Pat Buchanan (not my favorite contributor there) - - predicted the "collapse" of the US dollar in the second half of 2002 - - based on growing trade deficit.<BR><BR>Hope he is wrong (I think I hope that - - I realize that it will help SOME industries).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

peace and prosperity Jun 26th, 2002 08:06 PM

Remember when the economy was booming? When terrorists were not lurking behind every crevice? When buildings didn't collapse, and the U.S. was respected in the world. A time when citizens were free to speak out? Feeling nostalgic? Sorry. It will just remain a distant memory, for you are no longer in that more sensical era, fasten your seatbelts, you have now entered the Bush Zone....

clooney Jun 26th, 2002 08:33 PM

Clintoon caused all the problems you list.

greedy W and friends Jun 26th, 2002 08:44 PM

Oh sure. Just because you say so doesn't make it so.<BR><BR>After the miserable performance of the stock market these past five weeks, the forced resignations and indictments of corporate titans (not to mention the conviction of a top accounting firm), the humbling of the dollar and a rise in the trade gap, isn't it time to ask whether the war on terrorism isn't being milked as a convenient distraction? <BR><BR>The question seems particularly relevant when our man in the White House has had close personal and financial ties to the company--Enron--whose demise is the most glaring symbol of the broad moral disarray of the nation's corporate culture. It's all happened during W's watch.<BR><BR>Time for you to go to bed.<BR><BR>

during Bush watch Jun 26th, 2002 08:52 PM

Clooney is a looney.<BR><BR>So many questions, so many issues; so: <BR><BR>"We are going to hold you accountable for your actions", George. After all it's "The Responsibility Era". <BR><BR>During the Clinton Administration, in spite of the multiple investigations by the Republicans; who liked to look into his pants, the past administration at least managed to unravel numerous terrorists plots, like the NY tunnel bombings and stop them _before_ they occured... <BR><BR>Only during the bush administration did the terrorists event actually _not_ get stopped.The terrorist you thought they just captured was apprehended a month previous.<BR><BR>But it was announced over a MONTH later as breaking news to change the topic. So it looks like they are on the job, and won't be blamed for the past failures.<BR><BR>We know the CIA and FBI had all the pieces of the puzzle months before 9-11. But were any hard questions asked by the President, like, 'Dammit, is the CIA coordinating with the FBI?", or 'Get me the director on the phone now," and Patch me into the CIA Directors desk? Nope. <BR><BR>Where was George? Lazin in the Texas sun, out on his ranch , taking the longest Presidential vacation on record.<BR>

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 09:00 PM

First we had to deal with Bush, then 9/11, Enron, then comes Worldcom, no wonder our $ is slipping fast. Hate to ask what will be next...

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 09:43 PM

<BR>nothing like an external enemy to draw attention away from domestic issues. this is a common tactic used by many regimes. and, yes, the bushies are milking the "war on tara" for all that it's worth while fighting another war that's dear to their conservative hearts: slashing the "death tax" on the very rich.

at-at Jun 26th, 2002 11:54 PM

Nothing ruins a thread faster than when Fodorties try to talk politics...<BR><BR>Thanks for attempting to start a thread on a very important topic Adam.<BR><BR>...oh well...

xxx Jun 27th, 2002 01:13 AM

The media is making this sound like suddenly the USD is worth nothing, doom and gloom, etc. It's not really that bad. You need to keep in mind that the dollar has been excessively strong the past few years. It's still a lot stronger than it was 4 years ago.

kate Jun 27th, 2002 04:48 AM

Is the dollar weak or the Euro strong? Or both? It's hard for me to judge, as I use Sterling and the pound seems fairly stable against both currencies at the moment.

Suzy Jun 27th, 2002 05:32 AM

I think perhaps it's not that the euro is stronger, but the dollar is relatively weaker, compared to both pounds and euro. Last summer, a pound cost $1.42 and now it's $1.52