Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1st trip to Paris,this March -Our 1st Anniv. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1st-trip-to-paris-this-march-our-1st-anniv-12957/)

Lee Jan 17th, 1997 10:21 AM

1st trip to Paris,this March -Our 1st Anniv.

I'm not with the editors, but I've been to Paris about six times while living in Germany in the mid-80's and I can offer this:

It will be cold in March (40's-50's), if you don't mind that, you'll be OK.

When people ask me what I think of Paris, I tell them it's dirty, it's congested, it's crazy and it's romantic. My first trip, I expected to be treated as a guest and I drank the water! DON'T expect to be treated special, don't go out of your way to announce you are an American and DON'T drink the tap water. Subsequent visits were MUCH better as I was more open-minded.

What you can do is visit Notre Dame, the Louvre', the palace at Versailles (not sure of spellings), the Moulin Rouge, Painters Square, the Eiffel Tower, etc., etc. There are hundreds of things to do, day or night. It is a wild place with good food, great wines and architecture like no place else. Getting around is not difficult as there is a subway called the "Metro" that is easy to understand. You couls stay at any Ibis hotel which is moderate in price and clean. The French have some different customs such as coed public restrooms among others. Keep an open mind and don't plan on a lot of sleep 'cause this town just doesn't.

The editors will give you more (better) info, I'm sure, but this is a start.

Good luck!

If you go

l.martin Jan 17th, 1997 09:21 PM

GO,GO,GO!!!What a lovely anniversary gift. We Wewere there in late feb-early mar and weather is cold (really cold this year) so take insulated clothing and warm gloves, umbrella,etc. Visit all the above listed places (Versailles is esp. neat) and don't worry about language--merci,bonjour,comme t'allez vous,excusez moi or "pardon" show you're trying. Some visitors have trouble with pickpockets on the metro but just be smart.....
Another term to remember: deux vin blanc
au revoir

Alan Reynolds Jan 18th, 1997 12:45 AM

I have been to Paris perhaps 50 times as it just 200 miles from here but with the English Channel in between it is as different to London as your other correspondents writing from New York or San Francisco (which I also know). Parisiens increasingly want to communicate (if you do and try) and you will find many will want to try their English - especially younger people. You will find Burger King and the Big Mac but equally you will find great restaurants if you avoid the tourist traps. If you are staying in the financial district this could be La Defense which is at the north west extremity of Paris. If you are, takeadvantage. Go up the L'Arche. If you are not staying there, make the effort to go out there. One habit not mentioned by others, so far. More French smoke than do we Brits, and they smoke more heavily and in public places even where it is nominally forbidden. A no-smoking place in a restaurant is almost unheard of.But mty wife and I love Paris. We have a time-share there and would put London, Paris and Manhattan as the three places in the world we love being in. Enjoy it. PS Your VISA, Mastercard will be accepted very widely in nearly every ATM. Plus and CIRRUS rather less easy.

sfink Jan 18th, 1997 04:15 PM

We were in Paris for the first time in Oct. and it was incredible. My husband was not enamored with the people and found them to be not especially helpfil or friendly. The city is beautiful and we ride the subways everywhere. You do not want to have a car in the city. My favorite spots-Montmarte-Saacre Coeur (and I am not Catholic), Notrre Dame and Musee Dorsee. It is expensive compared to VA, but worth every penny. Eat at the small cafe's and local places-Take the boat ride around the Seine. We went to the the cemetary Pere Lachaise-many famouns people buried there-we took subway. Saw Jim Morrisons grave-but you are probably to young to even know who that is!!! Bon Voyage!

Roi and Pat Jan 21st, 1997 11:34 AM

My wife and I also spent our anniversay in Paris. Have been there three times during the past 20 years and seem to enjoy it more each time. I won't go into where to eat or things to see. Will mention only a few things that we encountered. First, the last time we were in Paris (the whole month of July, 1995) we were part of a french language and history program offered by San Francisco State University and stayed at a "dormitory of a girls school" (dorm open to both sexes in July) run by a group of Catholic nuns. Locate on Rue de Conde between the Luxemburg Gardens and St. Germain Blvd....best location in Paris as far as my wife and I are concerned. Attended classes at the Universite de Catholique nearby. We have just reached the retirement age.

You CAN drink the tap water...we lived on it (July was hot). Even at restaurants, simply ask for tap water and it will be served to you at no cost vs. expensive mineral water. Get a metro pass and ride easily throughout the city on the metro. Tickets good on buses also and they are fun (in non-commute hours)and you get a great view of the city (something you don't get on the metro which is mostly underground).

A PRIVATE TIP on getting into the Louvre quickly. When we were there, the main entrance is through the new glass pyramid. The line was blocks longs, and moving slowly...very discouraging, so we decided to try some other time. My wife can't go by a shopping area without as least a short browse so we went down to the Louvre underground shopping center and when we were about to leave whe noticed a short line of people (six to be exact) cued to an entrance ticket booth that proved to be an entrance to the Louvre. Hardly believing our eyes, we cued up and bought tickets and went right upstairs into the pyramid. Looking out the glass, the outside line was still stretching for blocks. Give it a try if you find a long line outside.

Also took a walk through one of the cemetaries and at Jim Morrison's grave found a sizable group of young people leaving short notes and photos on the grave. Sort of hard to find...just follow the crowd. Cemetary has plot plan to help find famous graves.

Feel free to drop us an email ([email protected])