1st Trip to Paris for College Grad

Jul 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
peanut

1st Trip to Paris for College Grad

Hello travel experts! My son and his girlfriend just graduated from College and are going to Paris in September. They've never been so I'm looking for some advice. Here are my questions:

* Since they are recent grads, they will be on a budget. Any recommendations for hotels in Paris. Priorities would be location /proximity to major sites, food, etc and of course cleanliness and safety.

* They will be there for 4-5 days. Is the metro the best means of getting around? Is it safe at night?

* Any recommendations for day trips; they won't have a car.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Jul 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
ira

Hi P,

I think that the best advice I can give you is to tell them to sign up here and at the Thorntree Forum on www.lonelyplanet.com and let them plan their visit themselves.

With less than a week in Paris, there will be no need for daytrips.

Jul 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Agree with Ira - if it's their first time in Paris, there is no need for a day trip. If they choose to go to Versailles one day, the train gets there very easily.

The Metro is incredibly convenient. I think the Parisian Metro may be the best subway system in the world. We found it to be safe at night, but we weren't on it later than around 11:30.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Ira is giving good advice. Thorntree is the place for them to check out their options and questions. A younger crowd.

But to answer your questions, yes the metro is safe for even this middle aged woman after midnight, it quits around 1:00 a.m. Really, with so little time once again Ira is right, no need for a day trip.

Search this Thread