Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1st Trip to Paris, any ideas on things to do and see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1st-trip-to-paris-any-ideas-on-things-to-do-and-see-557065/)

melanie_and_reuben Sep 8th, 2005 07:36 AM

1st Trip to Paris, any ideas on things to do and see?

This December, me and my partner are going to Paris for a few days for the first time. We're probably going to stay in the Beaugrenelle Tour Eiffel hotel and we were wondering what should we do and see whilst there.

We want to go up the Eiffel Tower and the Montparnasse, but any other ideas would be great.

We're a young couple and would love to discover the cultures.

We're also vegetarians and were wondering if anyone knew of any Vegetarian restaurants or restaurants/cafes that tailor to this.

I am also a little concerned as I heard the metal detectors in Paris airports are turned up so high, a zip can set it off, and you have to practically strip before you're allowed through. Is this true? As I have a tongue, eyebrow, nose and ear piercings and they're difficult to take out, so I'd rather not!! :)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

jules4je7 Sep 8th, 2005 08:13 AM

I'd highly recommend getting a guidebook or two to help you plan, and if you don't have a hotel reservation, I'd make it pronto.

Rick Steves Paris book would be perfect for the first-timer. It'll give you a nice list of places to see depending on how much time you have. You'll want to see Notre Dame and Ste. Chappelle (DON'T MISS) and perhaps see the Mona Lisa and other art for a few hours at The Louvre. There's also the Orsay Museum across the street if you like Impressionist art. And you can go up the Arc de Triomph and spend time on the Champs Elysees.

I wouldn't be surprised if you set off alarms in airports in Europe, but I suspect they're trained to deal with it. The youth of Europe pierce themselves as well, I suspect. You won't have to strip, but wear clean underwear just in case. ;)

Happy travels,

Jules

Mincepie Sep 8th, 2005 08:18 AM

I agree with jules...Rick Steve's book or Lonely Planet would be good for you. Just take time to wander the streets and soak up the atmosphere. You could visit the "chowhound" site for vegetarian restaurants...don't know the url...but if you google "chowhound" it will come up. I have been compiling a list of restaurants..so will check that for you later today.

melanie_and_reuben Sep 8th, 2005 01:12 PM

Thank you both, that's really helped me. Thanks a lot! :)

suze Sep 8th, 2005 01:24 PM

Paris is a perfect city for impromptu sight-seeing. We did it our first trip with only a street map that we got for free in the hotel lobby. We vaguely figured out a route each morning over coffee for what we wanted to see and do that day... i.e., walk to the Eiffle Tower, then to the Arc de Triomphe, Champes Elysee, thru the Tuiileries, stopping for lunch and later for wine in sidewalk cafes back to our hotel in the Latin Quarter. Another day to Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens, etc. One afternoon hop the Metro out to the cemetary. Paris is one of the easiest places ever to hang out without extensive schedules or itineraries.

p.s. forgive all misspellings above!

FainaAgain Sep 8th, 2005 01:29 PM

Is this a serious post?

Make sure your bra doesn't have metal wires.

It's good your belly button is not pierced.

melanie_and_reuben Sep 9th, 2005 06:26 AM

Umm, yes, this is a serious post to the person who commented above. The info about the airport was actually in a guide I read.

It's not exactly very helpful for idiots like you to post rubbish as a reply when I'm just trying to find stuff out for my trip to Paris.

Comments like yours are not appreciated thank you.

DejaVu Sep 9th, 2005 08:07 AM

Hi, Let's Go Paris is also a good guidebook, if you are traveling on a budget.
The Musee Rodin is a lovely little museum if you are looking for art off the beaten path. It might be too chilly to enjoy the garden properly, though.
Climb the towers of Notre Dame--that is fun and you'll get an amazing view at the top (plus all those gargoyles up close and personal). I like the Musee de Cluny as well (medieval art).
Have Fun!
ps. Couldn't tell you about the detectors, but I HAVE set off detector with underwire bra before--LOL.

Christina Sep 9th, 2005 09:36 AM

It isn't true about the metal detectors. Maybe they are high, but they aren't so high a zipper sets them off. I've never set one off and I have had clothes with zippers, watch, etc. I don't have unusual body piercings, nor do I wear underwire bras on long flights due to comfort, but I've never set one off with my pierced earrings.

In any case, there's not much you can do about it but wait and see.