1st trip to Italy - North or South??

Sep 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

1st trip to Italy - North or South??

Help! I'm planning a trip to Italy, with 7 girlfriends. We are flying from philadelphia to Rome. We can't agree if we should go north or south, to Amalfi coast, Positano, etc. They want to go to Ishcia, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Sorrento, ravello and Naples. Any suggestions??
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM

How long of a trip and what time of the year? What are you all most interested in (museums, night life, history, beach, etc)?
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

we are looking at going in either April or May. We are all between 29-35 yrs. old. We love the beach, but would also like to explore. I'm one of 2 that have been to europe before, and would love to see sights, museums, architecture, etc. I do NOT want to just sit on a beach... !
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM

How many days in Italy? For starters I'd say at least 4 full days in Rome, although you could spend a week in Rome and not get bored. You can combine Rome with a combination of those other places you mention depending on how much time you have.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM

I get the message that *they* want to lie on a beach and that you do not...

This is something you should clear up before you do any further planning at all.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I really hope none of your friends is planning to go to Italy to sit on a beach. That's what the Caribbean is for, and Italian beaches tend to be rocky and not that nice (in comparison to Caribbean or Hawaii).

Every place you mentioned that you want to visit is in southern Italy. I would fly into Rome, spend several days there and then head down to the Amalfi Coast via Naples -- stay in Positano or Sorrento, visit Pompeii, Capri, etc. Then head back up to Rome to fly home. That would be a good combination of city sightseeing (Rome, Naples), beautiful scenery (Positano, Capri, Ravello) and history/ruins (Pompeii, maybe Paestum too).
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
ira

Hi R,

>They want to go to Ishcia, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Sorrento, ravello and Naples.

With the exception of Ischia, sounds good to me.

You could stay in Naples and visit MV, Sorrento and Pompei. Go to Positano for Ravello, Amalfi and Capri.

You can visit the ruins at Paestum from either Naples or Positano.

Enjoy your visit.