My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for his birthday and our 2 year anniverssary for the last two weeks in May (11 days). We are flying in and out of Rome. We are both in our early 30s and enjoy the night life.
Our planned itinerary is as follows:
- Rome (2 nights)
- Take a train to Florence (2 nights)
- Rent a car and drive OR take a train to Naples???
- Sorrento (3 nights) day trips to Herculeanum, Positano
- Capri (2 nights)
- Rome (2 nights)
I have lots of questions
1,) Should we drive from Florence to Sorrento or take the train? Would it benefit to have the car while staying in Sorrento or would it be more of a hassle
2.) I was not sure if we should stay in Sorrento or Positano. From our posts I read that Positano has less restaurants and night life and we both are looking to experience that
3.) Also not sure if it makes sense to stay in Capri or just do a day trip? Which part of the island should we stay
4.) how do we get from Capri to Naples for the train back to Rome? ferry - car service? how much should we budget for the car service
5.) are there beaches in Sorrento? I am assuming there are beaches in Capri? What's the weather like in May? would we be able to swim?
If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 2 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 3 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 4 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 5 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 6 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 7 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 8 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 9 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 10 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 11 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 12 Malaga Christmas lights
- 13 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 14 Best Greek Island
- 15 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 16 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 17 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 18 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 19 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 20 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 21 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 22 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 23 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 24 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 25 The World's Greatest Churches
1st trip to Italy Florence Rome Sorrento Capri - advice needed