1st Trip to Europe

Oct 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

1st Trip to Europe

Hi..My husband and I postponed our honeymoon so we could travel to Europe next summer and before any babies come. He's always wanted to participate in the running of the bulls. I'd like to incorporate the "buls" on our trip but also make the most of our time in the area. Any rec's re: where to start? We'll be coming in from the west coast (CA). Looking at 2-3 week trip on a budget w/a few splurges
Thank You...
melissa
Oct 13th, 2005, 08:01 PM
rex

You need one or more good general books on Spain - - and if you plan to include the other "half" of el Pais Vasco/ le Pays Basque (the Basque Country - - where Pamplona is located), then perhaps you will want to include some of sothwestern France as well.

You can find any number of message "threads" on the festivities of San Fermin (the week when the running of the bulls is held, in Pamplona) - - here on thios forum;, just use the search function here, on "Fermin".

I strongly recommend www.maribelsguides.com for a good and free Basque-specific electronic "file" (almost a guidebook) that you can read online or print.

My wife and I made a very whirlwind trip to parts of the Basque country earlier this spring, and can recommend a few specific highlights - - though others have provided far more comprehensive trip reports here.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 13th, 2005, 08:03 PM
rex

My trip report (which I never actually completed its preparation): http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34640631
Oct 14th, 2005, 02:03 AM

MZ_MARQUEZ writes: My husband ... always wanted to participate in the running of the bulls. I'd like to incorporate the "buls" on our trip but also make the most of our time in the area. Any rec's re: where to start? "

7 July is San Fermin. The SanFermines fiesta usually begins the evening of the 6th and the 'Encierros' are early AM each day (i.e., until 14 Jul) with Corridas every afternoon.

No 'budget' accomodations will be available in that area around those dates. It's also unlikely that you'll find any airfare bargains to Spain in July. Book early and fly midweek if possible.

You'll probably want to start in Madrid or Barcelona: it's very hot in Andalucia in midsummer. With 2-to-3 weeks I think I would visit Galicia (northwest), Principality of Asturias and Cantabria.
BTW
I don't know which autonomous regions the Province of Navarre is in, but it didn't used to be part of Pais Vasco (i.e., a Basque Province). Pamplona is the Capital City of Navarre.

Oct 14th, 2005, 02:29 AM

Re the air trip. Don't know what your tolerance is for making transitions but if the air fares to Spain are more than you wish to swallow I suggest the following:

Look at every airfare engine/site you can to include so-called aggregator and consolidator sites such as www.mobissimo.com
www.onetravel.com
www.itasoftware.com
as well as the usuals such as Travelocity, Farechase, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

A second thought: there are budget airlines which fly from London airports (and others in other countries) and you might consider flying into a European hub city, changing airlines and planes, and proceeding.

Be aware of the luggage restrictions (as to checked weight) imposed by all of these carriers; the usual is 20 Kg (44 pounds) per person although at least one carrier, Ryanair, is even less accommodating at 15 Kg (33 pounds) per person.

And sometimes the inconvenience of re-claiming luggage, checking in at another counter, etc., wipes out any "savings."

You can check budget carriers at www.whichbudget.com
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:21 AM

To Rex:
Pamplona is not located in the Basque Country. Pamplona is located in Navarra, another Spanish region, besides the Basque Country.

The last week of August there is anothter "San Fermín", in Madrid. Is very famous, every year more. In a town called "San Sebastian de los Reyes", 8 kms from Madrid.

Oct 14th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Babies are coming? The opportunity for serious injury should be pretty clear if the hubby chooses to run. It's not a benign walk in the park. I saw a guy trampled when I was there. Maybe you could help him find a better way to work off that testosterone and help ensure that your kids get a dad with all his parts.
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM

Check his medical insurance for coverage: 1)in Europe, and 2)for exclusion of known risks (e.g. skydiving, bull-running, etc)

Does he realize that if he's gored in the wrong place, those babies will NEVER come?
Oct 14th, 2005, 04:36 AM
rex

You're right, while Pamplona does have both a Castellano name, and an Euskadi name (Iruña) name - - Navarra is clearly not in Euskera. What I wanted to say was that MZ_M should get a good general book on Spain AND on France and learn about noth northwest Spain and southwest France - - and of course, the Basque country is at the core of both (but both regions include a good deal more, as well).