1st trip to Europe

Search

1st trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st trip to Europe

We are taking our 1st trip to Europe in October. We will have two weeks and want to visit Germany and Italy. Is this do-able?
Fly to Frankfurt, go directly to the Rhine. Then to Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Munich and Salzburg. (By car?) Then train from Salzburg to Venice, train to Florence, train to Rome and fly home. Possible?
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM

That's a lot for two weeks. I'd probably cut Italy down to two cities in one week. Haven't been to Germany, so I can't comment on your itinerary, but it sounds like too much for the other week.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I agree that this is probably too much, especially for a first trip. I would either concentrate just on Germany and Salzburg or fly into Munich and do Munich, Salzburg and Italy.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Welcome to Fodors - I noticed this is your first ever post.
Your intended trip looks IMPOSSIBLE. I'm confident other longtime Europrean travellers will soon confirm this. Consider limiting your trip to two cities in Germany and two cities in Italy. Your plan flying into Frankfurt and out of Rome is fine. Flying from Germany to Italy will also give you some extra time - it looks like you'll need every extra minute you can squeeze.
Read the Fodors Destinations mini-guides for each of the places you might be interested in. This will give you a better idea of the minimum time you will need to spend in each place. Then come back to this board with a more realistic plan - the people here are always glad to help you get the most from your trip while at the same time avoiding disasters in the making.
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:24 PM

I think if I were combining Germany and Italy, I'd want to take the train through the Brenner Pass -- the scenery would be astounding.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:41 PM

The driving in Germany is certainly doable, but don't forget the Moseltal for a day (and the castle Burg Eltz just W of Koblenz).
The drives over any of the great Mountain passes (Grossglockner, etc) from Austria to Italia are very intense and require lots of time.
I would do Germany and Salzburg, maybe Alsace, France even Switzerland for a first trip and leave IT for a second visit.
M
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I knew it was too much for two weeks. I don't know how I am going to be able to narrow it down, but I appreciate your comments. Once I do get it condensed, this will be a great site for suggestions on hotels etc. Thanks so far!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Yes, you've got too much on your plate.

I don't think it's possible to do Rome, Venice and Florence as most visitors would in less than maybe 10 days.

If all 3 above cities are musts, I would suggest skipping Heidelberg (not much here you can't see elsewhere) and Munich (you'll have plenty of big city stuff in Italy) altogether.

The Rhine will still have a few fall events going on, like the fireworks displays (Oct 2 in Boppard, Oct. 16 and 23 in Oberwesel):

www.firework.rhine-river.com/

So to pack it all in, you might...

1.) spend your first two days on the Rhine, then...

2.) take an overnight train to Salzburg (about 7 hours non-stop on the City Night Line train, leaving Mainz at about 22:00); OR...

2.5), an evening train (or car) to Rothenburg...

3.) then head south after a couple of days to do Italy (possible cursory stop in Munich on the way.)

This is of course just one option - You'll need to read up a bit more to make choices on what you will cut.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM
rex

I think that the word "impossible" is way too strong. But it does involve too much time traveling from point A to B (to C to D, etc), in my opinion.

I'd give 6 days to Bavaria/Munich/Salzburg, and the, 8 days to Italy. Stll intense, but but as little as four "moves", totaling about ten hours (minimum), spread over two weeks. You were proposing doing almost twice that amount of moving around (and in your defense, many first time travelers do that, particularly on bus-based "eight-countries-in-14 days" tours).

Perhaps you already know - - and haven't elaborated for "us" - - or maybe you need to read more to beter define: what is your motivation for choosing THESE two countries? What do you see when you close your mind and think... "I can't wait until I get to .... so that I can ...."?

Paint the picture, and "we" (the regulars here) can help you decide how best to put it together.

Best wishes,

Rex