Search

SNCF Luggage Pick-up & Delivery

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF Luggage Pick-up & Delivery

Questions for veterans of French train travel:

Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with a luggage service offered by SNCF in which, upon 24 hours notice, your bags are picked up from your hotel and delivered to a hotel at your rail destination?

Is anyone aware of a website that provides platform information for arrivals and departures at stations in France, particularly St Pierre des corps? I have a tight connection with a TGV and with reservations required, would not want to miss it.

Thanks much.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
ira

Hi gg,

Try http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. It appears, however, that die bahn does not provide platform info when you request the details of a selection as they do with German stations. Gradyghost
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM

Our experience has been that platform numbers in French train stations don't go up very far in advance at all--but at least some stations (such as the Gare de Lyon) have a section set aside for TGV trains. That gives you at least a sporting chance, although I remember times when we had to sprint for the train.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi gg,

Are you going to Tours?

From http://www.centrelinguistique.com/ac...on&lang=us

Since Tours railway station is in a cul-de-sac some TGV don?t stop in Tours but at Saint-Pierre-des-Corps (a suburb). From there take a free shuttle train to Tours. The shuttle train will be on the same platform as the TGV. It will take you five minutes to get to Tours.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM

The SNCF luggage service seems to be a well-kept secret, although we got details in an e-mail from them some months back.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Hello Underhill:

I have a telephone number for the service -- 08.25.58.45 -- I have not tried it. The service sounds ideal for people--your truly-- who would like to pack a larger bag but don't wish to try to lift it into the overhead rack. Please pass along any additional information you might have on the topic.

For Ira: I am traveling from Caen on a conventional train that goes to St Pierre. The TGV leaves from St Pierre 10 minutes later and I don't know (knee replacement) whether I can make the connection. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:52 PM

I don't think you'll ever find platform information in advance on the web. They change them all the time up to the time of departure, even 10-15 minute ahead of time sometimes.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM

gradyghost,

Sorry, but I don't have much more to tell you about the luggage shipping--I got one brief message from SNCF announcing the newsletter and giving the telephone number, and that was it. I just tried sending a message over the SNCF site asking for information, but the e-mail bounced back. I'll keep trying. The site doesn't seem to have a search function now, although it's always a bit confused in English; I'll see whether there's anything in the French site and let you know.

I too have a bad knee, and I strongly suspect 10 minutes won't be enough.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:16 PM

Eureka! Here's the link with the information you need:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/info_res...;Theme=Baggage
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Great sleuthing, Underhill; thanks. The question now is whether I have the guts to try it. Gradyghost
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Given your knee replacement, you'd do well to give the luggage service a try so as to avoid carrying anything you don't have to, especially with the short time you have to catch your train connection. Let me know how it works out.