Reload this Page >

1st Trip (solo) to Paris approaching...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 11:54 AM
Tracy

In one month I leave for a week long vacation in Paris. It's my first trip to Paris and I'm looking so forward to it... Does anyone have any last minute tips of any kind (sightseeing, restaurants, general tips, etc.) that they wouldn't mind sharing with me? Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 12:01 PM
Ross

Tracy, <BR> <BR>Go to the Parc de la Place des Vosges in the Marais. <BR> <BR>Sit alone on a bench, and just watch the people around you. <BR> <BR>You'll understand once you get there. <BR> <BR>Promise. You might even cry. <BR> <BR>I do. Everytime I go. <BR> <BR>Ross.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:00 PM
Lee

Tracy: If you email me, I could forward a copy of our Paris trip notes which contain information about what we did and some basic things that may help you in general.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:39 PM
Robin

When you've had your fill (or all you have time for!) at the Place des Vosges, go out the "back" (the northwest corner, I believe) and wander through the Marais. Work your way over -to the Musee Picasso and enjoy.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 02:02 PM
Lesli

Tracy - <BR> <BR>I spent 8 of 10 days in Paris in April on my own, and had a wonderful time! Try to get to some of the smaller museums; the Marmottan (Impressionists) and the Jaquemart-Andre (beautiful home with lovely furnishings and and impressive Italian art collection) were two of my favorites. <BR> <BR>People were very kind in all the restaurants I went to, but I especially enjoyed Brasserie Balzar (rue des Ecoles, 5th). Wonderful people-watching, classic French food, and special attention from both the host and the waiter. I truly knew I was in Paris! <BR> <BR>Highlights of my trip included a ballet at the Opera Garnier (see the interior even if you do not attend a performance) and a classical music concert at St-Chapelle. Go to the latter during daylight hours to pick up your tickets and see the beautiful stained glass. <BR> <BR>If you have time for a daytrip, I recommend Chartres. It is an easy train trip, the cathedral is magnificent, and the town full of charm. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:05 PM
Sam

I think Ross said it all. "You will know when you get there". Do a little research of course, but it will change the way you look at life and have a better understanding of the French culture and people.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 08:19 PM
elvira

Pere Lachaise cemetery <BR>Rodin Museum <BR>Cognac-Jay Museum <BR>Delacroix Museum <BR>Balzac's house <BR>Artists' Viaduct <BR>Northside of Montmartre butte and the only vineyard in Paris <BR> <BR>Eat at restaurants that don't have an menu in English <BR> <BR>Get up early and watch the sun rise behind Notre Dame. Face west and watch the sun set behind the Eiffel Tower. Go to the flea market at Vanves and the street market on rue Mouffetard. Visit churches that aren't tourist attractions. Buy potholders, an address book, a desk calendar, funky drawer pulls and blue enamel numbers at BHV, greeting cards, a fountain pen and cool stationery at store in the Marais, and a decorating magazine. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 04:17 AM
elaine

Hi Tracy <BR>I've been to Paris both with and without anybody else, it's wonderful either way. <BR>If you would like to look at my notes, feel free to email me. <BR>All good advice here. I will only add, don't be embarrassed about dining alone, or feel that you have to settle only for fast food or that you have to eat and run. Eating in Paris can be an art form in itself. Even if you're not dining expensively, you can dine nicely. Some waiters may take you under their wing, but on the other hand don't let anyone make you sit next to the kitchen or rush you if you don't want to be rushed. <BR>Smile, and enjoy each evening.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Tracy

Thank you all for taking the time to post a reply. 3 weeks and counting... <BR>Any more responses would be greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 03:54 PM
Jayelle

I've taken a couple of solo trips to Paris and have enjoyed both a great deal. One thing that's a lot of fun about traveling there solo is being able to blend in with the locals much more easily. I think that a lot of people still have a hard time imagining someone traveling alone, so they assume that if you're by yourself, you must be a local. When I stop into small shops or restaurants, people speak to me as if I live there, and I can manage enough French not to give myself away. I've also had tourists stop me to ask for directions on a number of occasions. As long as you don't look too much like a tourist (e.g., camera, fanny pack, map, etc.), you can have some fun acting like a local, and get a little more of a taste of real life in Paris.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Deborah

Tracy, I will also be in Paris alone the first week of September. Send me an e-mail and let me know if you want to enjoy a glass of wine together somewhere.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 08:44 PM
beth

You've gotten lots of great responses. Here's a bit more info: If you are a science buff, try the Pasteur Museum at the Institut Pasteur in the 15th Arrondisment (25 ru du Dr. Roux). Two spectacular day trips out of Paris: Mont St. Michel and Monet's garden at Giverny. There are lots of tour operators in town that will book day trips via coach bus to these places. Finally, FYI, Pere La Chaise cemetary contains the grave of Jim Morrison. <BR>Have a great Trip. Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world!

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 07:46 AM
Janine

Tracy, you will love it. <BR> <BR>Don't miss: <BR> <BR>Ste-Chapelle and the Conciergerie next door (cheaper tickets for the two). I knew about Ste-Chapelle, but the Conciergerie was very interesting -- and moving. <BR> <BR>Musee Nissim de Camondo. The Cognaq-Jay is quite nice if you want to see a collection of "things" but this house looks like the people just stepped away for a while. <BR> <BR>Place des Vosges <BR>Rodin Museum - the gardens are wonderful. <BR> <BR>Memorial de la Deportation -- behind Notre Dame, an incredibly moving memorial to the French who were deported to concentration camps. <BR> <BR>Rue de Montorgueil - a market street, all that is left of the old Les Halles. To me, it smells like Paris! You'll see what I mean. <BR> <BR>Two tips that might be helpful: <BR> <BR>1. Learn enough French to be able to greet people when you enter shops and restaurants. Most people treat you very well when they see you are making an effort. <BR> <BR>2. Don't try to pack in too much. One of the greatest pleasure is just sitting and observing. <BR> <BR>I will be there the week after you. I can't wait. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage, <BR> <BR>Jan

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Kris

There was a good article in the Chicago Tribune's travel section yesterday about someone's first trip to Paris at www.Chicagotribune.com under Travel, the article is called Paris Without Lines. <BR> <BR>My favorite Paris tips include the free view of the city from the top of the Samarataine department store; buying a museum pass, not only to save money but also to skip the long lines at the attractions; and going to the supermarket, grabbing a baguette, cheese and lunch meat and having a picnic,the garden at the Rodin museum is a great place for that; plan on returning many more times to fit in everything that you didn't see this time. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip, maybe we'll see you there (that is if United is flying.....)

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Steve

Tracy: <BR> <BR>I too went to Paris alone exactly one year ago to the time you will be there. <BR> <BR>It was probably the best vacation, solo or with a group, I've ever had. <BR> <BR>Everything you've heard is true-the people are great. Take a copy of Fodors and Frommers and you'll be all set. <BR> <BR>You HAVE to take a ride down the Seine-at NIGHT-for an unforgetable experience. <BR> <BR>Bon vacance!! <BR> <BR>PS-one month from today I'll be in London-hope it's as awesome!! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Tracy

Thanks again for the wonderful replies. In traveling smart, I am a very reserved about venturing out at night by myself. Would you all agree?

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 12:50 PM
janine

Tracy: <BR> <BR>By all means go out by yourself at night. Just exercise the same caution you would in any large city. Stick to areas that are populated. You are probably safer in Paris than you would be in most American cities -- and there is nothing neater than turning and unexpectedly catching a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower or the Dome at Invalides by night (or the boats on the Seine). <BR> <BR>Don't worry about eating alone. The wait staff are usually quite solicitous.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:06 PM
elvira

A whole lot of 'depends on' when it comes to going out in the evening. <BR> <BR>The busy neighborhoods, like the 5th or the 6th, just as examples, have lots of restaurants and cafes, so LOTS of people (tourists and locals) are out very late (Parisians often finish dinner at 11pm or later) going to or from dinner, or enjoying an after-dinner stroll. You're perfectly safe in those areas. If you are going to a play or concert that gets out late, you might feel safer taking a cab than riding the metros back to your hotel (for the most part, the metros are safe at night, but alone and first time to Paris? Why feel anxious? Take a cab). You can go out to a club or cafe or bar, but just as you would in your home town, don't do anything stupid - don't drink to much, don't tell anyone where you're staying, don't go off with anyone...you know the tap dance. <BR> <BR>Paris is wonderful at night, because so many people are out late. There are a few dicey neighborhoods, but they are either not tourist areas (exception: Pigalle totally yucky anytime, day or night) or on the outer fringes of the city. <BR> <BR>Enjoy Paris - morning, noon or night, it will present a different face to you.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Debbie

Tracy, <BR>I am having computer problems but want to arrange our meeting in Paris. E-mail me back. Thanks

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 10:01 AM
love2trvl

Tracy: <BR>With everthing you will be doing during the day you will probably be turning in early by 11-12. Don't worry too much about going out at night. When I couldn't sleep I found a few 24 hour cafes on the Main Blvds, people are very happy to speak to you if you want a conversation. If not bring a book or magazine. Enjoy yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -