Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1st trip out of U.S. to Ireland in November [6 days]- Part 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1st-trip-out-of-u-s-to-ireland-in-november-6-days-part-2-a-339095/)

cyndiprice Jul 20th, 2003 05:28 PM

1st trip out of U.S. to Ireland in November [6 days]- Part 2

Thanks oodles to all of you who have replied and I apologize that I forgot to say that we getting 6 days in Ireland.....After touring Bunratty Castle, is it a feasible idea to at least try to do Waterford Crystal and then bounce back to do the other highlights, Cliffs of Mohr, Ring of Kerry???? I know going to Waterford is going to be a bit of a drive, but my mother will murder my sister and I both if we don't at least try - yes, she has Waterford crystal.

Budman Jul 20th, 2003 05:48 PM

Go to Waterford Crystal Factory only if you want to see how the crystal is made. There are no good deals in buying their crystal from the factory.

My recommendation would be to skip it. Also, instead of Ring of Kerry, have you thought about the Dingle Penninsula?

janis Jul 20th, 2003 05:53 PM

Waterford is waaaaaay out of your way and probably not worth the detour. There is a factory tour of course - but that loop would take a LOT of valuable time out of your very limited days in Ireland. If you just want to buy some crystal there is no reason to travel to Waterford. It is sold everywhere.

Clifton Jul 20th, 2003 09:24 PM

I'lll go along with everyone else. The Waterford tour is interesting but not a major trip highlight for most people I've seen posting. We felt pretty much the same way and Waterford town itself isn't a major eye-catcher, but it's ok. Considering the sights out west and the availability of good crystal elsewhere, I wouldn't use a full day to go walk through a factory. Plus, if you're going to buy something in Ireland, why not make it something you *can't* buy back at home?

With 6 days, I'd stick with the counties Kerry, Clare - with a <i>possible</i> foray into either county Tipperary, Calway or Cork but not really more than one. There's lots to see in all of those areas, but with short days in November, you can either see a greate number of fascinating places close to each other - or a lesser number of fascinating places far away from each other.

shashie Jul 21st, 2003 10:29 AM

If you end up staying in Galway, consider a tour of the Galway Irish Crystal factory. Leave some time before your flight out of Shannon and check out the Waterford Crystal in the duty-free shop.
The showroom at the Waterford factory is full of amazing pieces, but no way would I drive all that way just to see it -- there are better ways to spend your daylight hours!

TamT Jul 21st, 2003 12:45 PM

Hi Cyndiprice

With such a limited amount of time - I would focus on the south west quadrant of Ireland.

I love Galway, but save that for the Northwest quadrant.

Night 1 - Ennis or Doolin (Cliffs)

Nights 2 &amp; 3 - Dingle Penninsula via the Kilmer Tarbet Ferry.

On the way over to Kinsale drive across the upper portion of the Ring - The Ladies (Lakes) View portion. And the Beara Pennisula if time allows.

Nights 4 &amp; 5 - Kinsale

On the way up to Bunratty - stop at the Blarney castle and drive thru Adare.

Night 6 - Bunratty

Hope that helps - don't have 1 nighters everywhere.

You'll be back.

Enjoy

Debbie Jul 22nd, 2003 06:56 AM

I really enjoyed the Crystal tour (* have actually done it on both of my trips :) ) My Mom &amp; Dad loved it too.

If you really want to see it, you can fit it in, even with the limited daylight ( I posted my Nov 8 day itinerary on your Part 1 post)

For 6 days , here is my suggestion:
Day 1 Drive to Cashel - see the rock. O/N Cashel ( I loved Dualla House)
Day 2 Day trip to Waterford Crystal - see Cahir on way back to Cashel -O/N Cashel
Day 3 Drive to Killarney - See the National park/ Muckross house - leave the ring for the next trip
Day 4 If you really want the Ring - do it here, otherwise, drive to Dingle O/N Dingle
Day 5 - tour Dingle area O/N Dingle
Day 6 - take Tarbert Ferry first thing in the AM, drive to Cliffs, then on to Bunratty ( should put you there before dark) maybe do the Medieval banquet that night.

One of the big things is : try not to cram too much in, Part of the beauty of Ireland is found in just being there and taking it all in.

Debbie

Budman Jul 22nd, 2003 07:04 AM

I think both Tam &amp; Debbie provide excellent itineraries. Two days in Dingle and/or 2 days in Kinsale -- toss a coin. ((b))

Debbie Jul 22nd, 2003 08:00 AM

The reason I skipped Kinsale for this trip was simply logistics.
a) not sure how much is open there in November, it is a smaller town.
b) I was trying to keep the driving in a loop , limiting the hours in the car on any day, and Kinsale dips kind of far down.
c) not sure about being right on the water in November. I could see it being a bit cold there , if it gets windy off the water.
d) the road from Kinsale to Killarney was a bit of a challenge - very narrow in places, and I don't know what it would be like in inclement weather ( although Dingle may not be any better)

I loved Kinsale in April , and definitely want to go back, but I don't know if I would go there in November.

Just my thoughts.