Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1st Timers to Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1st-timers-to-amsterdam-738952/)

tawniabj07 Sep 25th, 2007 06:55 PM

1st Timers to Amsterdam

My wife and I are going to be in Amsterdam for a couple of days over the new years holiday. We are looking for some advice as to where to stay, eat, and what are some off the beaten track spots that are not to miss. Thanks for the help!!

sobster Sep 25th, 2007 07:35 PM

For a great hotel experience try the Pulitzer

scat_cat Sep 25th, 2007 08:11 PM

We stayed at fairly low-budget places, but if you're okay with simplicity, the Hotel van Onna on a small canal in the Jordaan is lovely. No TVs, hearty breakfasts, and it's priced at a cool 45 euros per person per night. For dinner, I recommend Balthazar's Kitchen in the Jordaan (fixed three-course menu for around 30 a person, great appetizer spread), which is only open from Wednesday-Fridays. For delicious ice cream, take a trip out to the Pijp--there's a stand on Eerste van de Helststraat that I highly recommend.

Ida101 Sep 26th, 2007 04:11 AM

Check http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/ for lots of info.
Hotels can be found at many different rates, depending how much you want to spend.

Dukey Sep 26th, 2007 04:14 AM

You might also want to look at www.channels.nl for maps of hotel locations as well as user reviews.

hopscotch Sep 26th, 2007 04:16 AM

Amsterdam is very busy around the holidays. Book your hotel early. Post your price range to get meaningful information here.

blackduff Sep 26th, 2007 04:45 AM

Okay, the puritans didn't mention about the red light area. Do Not miss this part of Amsterdam. It's very safe and it does give the typical Amsterdam life.

Another spot would be Rembrants Pleine (sp?) for the street musicians, good an cheap food, and bags of people.

Leides Pleine is the best spot for me. I spend a lot of time each visit to Amsterdam. Lots to see and visit around this area.

Blackduff

NThea Sep 26th, 2007 04:48 AM

For sleeping, I'd also recommend checking out the gazillion B&B's in Amsterdam. Many of these are located in great neighborhoods & beautiful buildings. You'll feel like you live there! We stayed at The Amsterdam Lodge in the Jordann district. (amsterdamlodge.com) As I recall, there were many great B&B's to choose from, making it difficult to make a final choice. The Lodge was very nice & the owner was friendly & laid-back. Cozy neighborhood bars & restaurants were all within a few blocks of our B&B.

jkroll Feb 21st, 2008 09:56 AM

What do you think of the Supper Club? I know it's pricey but is it worth it? Has anyone been there?

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2008 10:29 AM

You may have to hurry to see the Redlight District as the Mayor of Amsterdam is bent on closing it down and redeveloping this most desirable real estate into something else other than window shopping

Recently in Amsterdam i asked locals about this and if the mayor and council could pull it off and most said yes, he is in fact doing it.

Travelnut Feb 21st, 2008 11:06 AM

no great loss.

BTW, where are all the "Blue Light Districts", you know, where the ladies can go window-shopping for that irresistable man, puttin' himself out there in his little leopard skivvies..?? What about OUR needs?

queener Feb 21st, 2008 11:15 AM

I think that the blue lights are transvestites (sp?). We were told that they tried having men in windows to be ready to satisfy women, however, it didn't fly.

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2008 11:17 AM

As Amsterdam is one of the biggest gay travel meccas in Europe i always wondered why there were not boys for men in windows?

Travelnut Feb 21st, 2008 11:20 AM

Back to 'men's needs' already? So typical.

Travelnut Feb 21st, 2008 11:25 AM

I don't know so much about 'off beaten path' for Amsterdam, but things we have enjoyed are:
- canal boat cruise
- bike rental (rode alongside the Amstel for a ways; NY will probably be too cold)
- climb up the Westerkerk bell tower
- markets (Albert Cuypstraat, Waterlooplein, Nooderkerk, etc)
- Indonesian 'rice table' for 2
- street entertainment
- just walking around (Leidseplein, Dam Sq, Spui, etc)
- Vondelpark (but again, too cold at New Yrs?)
- Houseboat Museum

.... and the usual, Anne Frank house, Van Gogh Museum....

gomiki Feb 21st, 2008 11:51 AM

jkroll, I just returned from Amsterdam and if you click on my name you can see my trip report. We loved it and did a lot of the things Travelnut mentioned.

We stayed at the Hotel Piet Hein and were very happy with it.

love_travel11 Feb 25th, 2008 02:24 AM

We stayed at the Piet Hien last year and loved it. The location was great (easy walk to the museums and the tram) and the hotel staff very helpful. Have fun in Amsterdam!

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2008 06:20 AM

Off the beaten track:

Hop the free pedstrian and bike ferries from behind Centraal Train Station to the other side of the Ij, or old harbor for a neat view of Amsterdam's skyline and centuries old facade facing the former sea

For a longer free boat ride take the ferries to the east that go to Java Kade (i believe that's the name) - a longer ride and you get off in a very unique new residential area built in a Venice motif.

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2008 11:46 AM

As for the immediate future of Schrooms

I went in one Energy Shop, not to buy just to look, and talked to the clerk about how i thought they had been made illegal to sell and was surprised to see them being sold openly there

The clerk said that 'we hope for a new government soon'

making it sound like the whole thing may be in some legal limbo.

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2008 11:48 AM

Amsterdam.info » Amsterdam smartshops

Smart shops in Holland are special - they also sell magic mushrooms. In recent years there has been an explosion of smart shops in Amsterdam, many shops are ...
www.amsterdam.info/smartshops