1st Time to Venice -Must see's ?

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Time to Venice -Must see's ?

I am traveling late may to Venice with my wife. What are the must see's of a first timer to Venice ? What are some non-tourist resturants with good food also ?

Thanks in advance !
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM

For the must sees I would look at the Destinations section above as well as a couple of guide books - then come back with specific questions.

As for non-tourist restaurants with good food - which is your budget - splurge? moderate? modest?

If you look below you will see a lot of info.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

There are no non-tourist restaurants in Venice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hi P,

This question has been asked soooo many times in the past. Put your question in the search box and read forever or read a good guide book.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM

I was in Venice for a few days during high school in 2000, so please take this as suggestions to look into, and not solid information.

Spend time in St. Mark's square of course. When you walk into the square, it'll take your breath away. Sunrise and sunset are beyond gorgeous; try to be in St. Mark's square for at least one of those times. Go into the basilica, but remember to be respectful of course. I only mention that because I remember many other tourists going in and being very rude in their excitement. If I remember right, you can climb the tower next to the basilica; do it. Take a tour through Doges Palace, it's cool. Be a complete tourist and take a gondola ride. It's one of those things you just need to do. I don't remember what tour it was part of, but go through the Bridge of Sighs. That tour was neat, and may have been part of the Doges Palace tour. Try to find a walking tour?

No matter what else you do, or don't do, stay out of the water! One girl in my group slipped and fell into the canal getting out of the gondola. She smelled god awful for the rest of the day.

Venice is beautiful, have fun
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

Get lost....really...best way to see Venice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM

Hi pdm --

I'd highly recommend that you check out the DK Eyewitness book Top Ten Venice. Here is a link: http://tinyurl.com/4mpkub. Right at the front of the book, it gives a great overview of some don't miss sights. But I also recommend just wandering around. There are many beautiful neighborhoods worth exploring (Dorsoduro, the Ghetto, etc).

Otherwise, we love to go from place to place eating cichetti (Venice's version of tapas basically). I have a trip report from 2005 that outlines some of the restaurants we visited when doing so (you can get to it by clicking my name). They were hardly touristy b/c we were often the only people there at the time. =)

Good luck!

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM

These are the things I would not miss in Venice:

- climb the bell tower in St. Mark's Square (in fact, I recommend doing this first -- it gives you a great view and understanding of the city)

- take a gondola ride at dusk (yes, it's touristy, but it's truly magical)

- walk through St. Mark's Square in the evening when the orchestras are playing

- get lost walking through the maze of streets and bridges

Have a great trip!!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Italy; we spent three nights in Venice; I would agree with what others have posted; St. Marks Square in the evening is wonderful, but the charm of Venice is simply walking around and getting lost. Beware that Venice is very crowded during the day; allyways are full of shops selling the assorted trinkets and restaurants are expensive. Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:36 AM

I think it was already stated but leave time to get lost in the alleys and walkways.

My husband and I had the greatest time realizing we were lost and couldn't locate our hotel. (Always carry your hotel name with its street name so you know what you are looking for if you do get lost.)

We got to see a lot of little nooks that we wouldn't have found. (I know because we tried to find one piazza and for the life of us could not find it the rest of our stay.)

Since the others covered most of the main attractions of Venice, if your time allots it take a boat ride to the other islands Murano and Burano. We went to Murano and found it quaint and less hustle and bustle.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:00 AM

I don't think a gondola ride is a "must" (hope it's not since I have not taken one in any of my trips to Venice) but you should definitely take the (much less expensive) vaporetto down the Grand Canal at least once.

Torcello is my favorite of the lagoon islands--especially recommended if you are not going to see the mosaics in Ravenna:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/02/19.../19dayout.html

Of course you have to adjust your "must sees" list based on the amount of time you have. In general, I would concentrate on walking/wandering rather than museums. I would look for guide books with suggested self-guided tours to get started
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:09 AM

While you are busy "getting lost" (a good idea IMO) and you've done the Doge's chapel and so forth and listened to the battle of the bands and coffe shops at St. Mark's after dark...you'll find plenty of non-tourist restaurants to eat in.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Go to to Piazza San Marco before breakfast and after dinner.

A good place to eat is San Trovaso, Fondamenta di Priuli 1016 on Dorsodoro, near to the Accademia (closed Monday). Best to go early or reserve a table. You get a mix of locals and tourists.

I go to a very simple trattoria on Giudecca - Ai Tre Scaini, Calle Michelangelo 53/C. At lunchtime it's full of local workers, and local families often eat here in the evening.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM

We just returned from a 5 night stay, and we kept cutting things from our itinerary as we went along. My favorite thing was the vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal, the Basilica and the museum above it for the views, and just walking around. I enjoyed the other sights we managed to fit in, but Venice itself was the real "sight".