Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st time to Italy. Is itinerary too ambitious?

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 03:26 PM
GingerK

First trip to Italy. We have about 10 or 12 days, including travel time. How does this itinerary sound? Arrive Rome from US around 10:00AM Sun., stay 4 nites; Leave Thurs. AM for Florence by train; spend 2 nites; leave Sat. for Venice by train; spend 2 nites; then back to Rome (plane or train?) on Monday. Leave Rome for home on Tuesday. We’re two couples, age 50+ and in excellent health. We want to see as much as possible, but don’t won’t to ruin the trip by cramming in too much. We could probably fit in another day. Where should it be? Departure day is flexible—is Sunday a good day to arrive or does it matter? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 03:39 PM
Linda

I've seen a lot worse itineraries. But please beware that most of the "train" days will be eaten up by travel, finding your hotel, and getting settled. That means if you spend two nights in Florence, you'll really only have one day, not enough for Florence or Venice IMHO. To what depth do you want to see each city? If this is just an overview for further visits later, then you're fine. But if you really want to experience either one, you might consider cutting out either Florence or Venice (saving it for your next trip--and there WILL be a next one--you'll start planning it before you even get home) and really enjoying your time in the two cities you visit.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 03:53 PM
Bob

Did you check into flying into Rome and out of Venice (or vice versa). Oftentimes the price is about the same. It could save you a day. Other than that, I don't think that it's too ambitious.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:04 PM
Joel

Frankly, I think you're right on the money vis a vis itinerary. And the train ride is a great way to see the countryside. It would be nice to squeeze in something on the coast or in the Dolomites (Portofino or Cortina, for example), but I think your itinerary is optimum as is.
Bon voyage.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:24 PM
StCirq

Looks like a great itinerary to me. Auguri~!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:26 PM
Patrick

I think it's a great itinerary. Ignore the comment about train travel. We took the train from Rome to Florence in the morning, arrived and checked into the hotel, toured the cathedral and were having lunch in Piazza Signori well before 1 PM. Assuming you are taking the Eurostar, the trips are very short indeed! We left Rome at 8:30 to arrive in Florence at 10:05. Florence to Venice was closer to 3 hours, but still time to arrive by lunch! Now if you're one of those travelers who waits to arrive in a city before deciding where they will stay, then Linda is right. But personally I wouldn't spend half the day looking for a hotel -- I'd have it researched and booked for a quick and easy check-in.
For your extra day, I'd either do a day trip to Sienna or San Gimanagno or both to get a taste of Tuscany which will make you want to return. Or add a day in Venice, taking the boat to the "little islands", Murano and Burano in particular,for half of the day. Two nights sitting in St. Mark's Square at night listening to the music is hardly enough -- add one!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 10:22 PM
Leslie

I would just add to Patrick's message that the train trip from Venice to Rome is about 4.5 hours, quite a bit longer than the Rome - Florence or Florence-Venice trip. I think the open jaw ticket (arrive Rome/leave Venice is a good idea, as is adding as many additional days as you can afford.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:56 AM
Graziella

Hi I agree with Linda. To think of the next trip is a wonderful way of not rushing.
But I guess you ll be ok.
Have a great trip.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:46 AM
brenda

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. By accepting the fact that we could only see some of the sights (we get lost a lot) and some musseums close early or not at all (Sun or Mon) we had a great time, but know we need to go back. trip. To know what we did/would recommend/tried to do/wasted time trying to do/....I'll be happy to share our insights. Location of your hotels has a lot to do with how much you will be able to see with limited time in the cities.
Best of luck

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:46 AM
Jim

Hi,
My wife and I just returned Thursday from Italy.We spent 6 nights in Rome, then took the train to Florence for three nights, and then by train to Venice for four nights. We flew Alitalia that way we did not have to return to Rome. We flew out of Venice to return home.We are both in our 60's we had no problems. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:02 AM
GingerK

Thank you all for your responses! We're in the process of finalizing our itinerary. Since we're flying Continental, we'll have to fly back home from Rome instead of Venice, but we'll make it work. We'll be in Italy Oct. 28 - Nov. 7. I may be e-mailing some of you for more info. Thanks again!