Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1st time to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1st-time-to-italy-178515/)

Maureen Aug 21st, 2001 02:00 PM

1st time to Italy

My husband & I will be going to Italy for 2 weeks in summer 2003. Our only musts right now include Venice & Capri. Open to any suggestions about hotels, trains, car rental, itinerary. Any information, recommendations are appreciated!

Myer Aug 21st, 2001 02:40 PM

As others have said before, I don't think this is the type of post that attacks responses. You must first read some good guide books and get ideas of what you would like to see. Then you can ask questions that others who have been there can answer. <BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 21st, 2001 02:43 PM

Hello Maureen, That is a long way out. You will lots of time to plan. Here are some ideas for brainstorming: <BR> <BR>SO, YOU WANT TO SEE ITALY ! <BR>FIRST, GET A GOOD MAP ! Having planned more then sixty personalized itineraries to southern Europe and Italy, I have learned that the best trip plans start with a good <BR>map. It takes about six weeks to see most of Italy, and that does not include Sicily. So, any typical two week sojourn requires a geographic orientation and thoughtful planning to optimize the total experience. The temptation is to try to see too much, <BR>and that is a big mistake. My advice is to limit yourself to FIVE DESTINATIONS <BR>OR LESS for any two week itinerary. Perceive Italy as geographic regions and <BR>plan accordingly. Here is a menu to help you to plan well. Let your total time in Italy, and a good map, determine your feasible choices ! <BR> <BR> THE BEST DESTINATIONS IN ITALY---BY CATEGORY---NORTH TO SOUTH <BR> <BR>REGIONS OF NATURAL SPLENDOR: <BR>1. The Lakes of Lombardy/Piedmonte [ Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Orta] <BR>2. The Dolomites/Lake Garda [ Cortina, Ortisei, Merano, Riva del Garda] <BR>3. The Ligurian Coast [ Portofino, Cinque Terre, Portovenere] <BR>4. Tuscany/ Umbria [ quaint and historic hill towns] <BR>5. The Amalfi Coast [ Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Capri] <BR> <BR>THE HISTORICAL ART CITIES: <BR>1. Venice & Veneto [ allow 3 days---more if you include Vicenza, Verona et al] <BR>2. Florence [ it all happened here--plan for 2 days just in Florence] <BR>3. Siena [ deserves a full day, perhaps as a day trip from Florence] <BR>4. Rome [ the Eternal City demands 5 days---some would say two weeks] <BR> <BR>ROMANTIC RESORT DESTINATIONS: <BR>1. Bellagio [ the best of Lago Como] <BR>2. Cortina [ the Vail of Italy--ski resort in heart of the Dolomites] <BR>3. Portofino/ Santa Margherita [ splendid sea-side venue] <BR> 4. Positano [ the best location to explore the Amalfi coast] <BR> 5. Taormina [ fabulous sea-side location in Sicily] <BR> 6. Ravello [ la dolce vita above the Amalfi coast] <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Book Chick Aug 21st, 2001 02:44 PM

Maureen, <BR>How much art do you want to see? Do you have an approximate budget per night for hotels? Any other needs or desires you can tell us about regarding your trip? We can probably assist you a lot better if you can fill us in on this info. <BR>Thanks, <BR>BC

Dayle Aug 21st, 2001 02:48 PM

Dear Maureen: You will love Italia! My only recommendation at this early point in your planning (and you are not staring too early to get your first choice of hotels) is to mix cities & countryside. I prefer equal doses. We made our hotel reservations 9 months in advance for a May time frame & were able to get all our first choices. Have fun planning. You will find fantastic help here! Buon viaggio!

Cheryl Z. Aug 21st, 2001 03:18 PM

<BR>Maureen, even tho you say both Venice and Capri are "musts" I'd suggest one or the other and then concentrate on that surrounding area. Each area deserves alot of time. If you choose Venice, you could concentrate on Northern Italy, mainly the lakes area which I feel is prettier and less touristy than Capri. The lakes area is more relaxing to me. I wrote about our lakes trip on here last year, and this June we were in Rome and the Amalfi coast which I loved, but still prefer the lakes. <BR>If Capri is a must, then I'd suggest Rome and the Amalfi coast. At any rate, you've come to the right place to search for info and opinions!

Marilyn Aug 21st, 2001 05:35 PM

Go to www.trafalgars.com and get on their BB for the best Q&A on travel I have ever seen. We are going on their Best of Italy tour in 17 days!!!

elaine Aug 22nd, 2001 06:32 AM

Hi Maureen <BR>My Venice file includes some info on trains as well as Venice info. <BR>If you'd like to see it, email me

Janda Aug 23rd, 2001 12:09 PM

Venice is pure magic. make sure you get up really early in the morning and go far away from tourist areas to the little back canals. This is what dreams are made of. You will remember these moments the rest of your life. <BR>Personally I thought Capri was very touristy and I will not go back there.