1st time salzburg and vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will proceed from a way too short stay in Munich to Salzburg and Vienna for the first time. The Christmas markets will be in full swing but would like to take suggestions of items to purchase that these two towns are known for perhaps in local stores or markets.

I was so pleased when I asked a similar question re christmas market purchases when I went for the first time to Germany and received so many genuinely sincere and heartfelt suggestions. Your imput will be gratefully received. Mildred
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM

One very inexpensive thing to keep is the wine mug they sell with the Gluwein.

The Germans and Austrians do not like trash. Therefore they produce a nice mug with the name of the event on it to sell you when you first buy your Gluwein. After that you get the mug refilled.

If, upon leaving, you do not want the mug, you return it to a station and they give you 100% of what you paid for the mug back. Keeps the trash down. We keep the mugs as they make a nice souviner and great for coffee.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:14 PM

Dear Mildred,

My favorite purchases from Salzburg were miniature musical instruments (Christmas ornaments), small wooden replicas of violins from the birth city of Mozart. There are special Mozart chocolates and liquors as well.

In Vienna, our relatives took us to their favorite store for food gifts, Meinl, located just off the central shopping area near Peterskirche. We didn't purchase there, but it was fun looking!

Enjoy both of these beautiful cities.

SusanEva
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:45 PM

In the main pedestrian area of Salzburg is a wonderful little shop that sells painted eggs. The eggs are hollowed and a small ribbon attached. I picked up several for Xmas ornaments, but they have eggs decorated for all seasons and occasions. They are a little pricey (6-12 euros several years ago) and quite fragile - but everyone I have sent to that shop since has come home with several eggs, including one for me!

On the other side of the river (can't tell you the street) there is a nice candle shop. My husband bought me a lovely candle "crest" depicting scenes of Salzburg. There were other lovely candles as well - many coming in boxes to make travelling easier.

Happy shopping!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

I would never find these great things without your input. Keep those great suggestions coming. Mildred
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM

Painted tin and glass Christmas decorations, wooden toys, gingerbread ( many types and forms),woolen gloves , hats , socks etc. wine and schnaps, among other things in Vienna.

Some god markets- Schonbrunn, Karlsplatz, Freyung. But many others also.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM

We still have our two wax Christmas ornaments bought some years ago. These ornaments were everywhere we went in Austria (Vienna, Salzburg, Berwang) and have lasted in perfect condition. Ours are a red Father Christmas figure and a beige/yellow Silent Night "page of music" in German, which I won't even try to spell! Don't hesitate to buy these when you find them, thinking they will not be hardy. Although I wouldn't store them near high heat!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM

Kind of touristy, sure, but for Austrian gifts you may want to check out the Sacher Cafe gift shops. There is a Sacher hotel in both cities, as well as several others in Austria. They sell, among other things, tins of coffee and hot chocolate powder, some china, and their sacher tortes. https://shop.sacher.com/shop_java_bridge/index.jsp

Mozart balls are another fun edible souvenir that can be found all over Austria, and of course the beer steins are great souvenirs as well!

Tracy
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:24 AM

In Salzburg, definitely purchase the small, wood-carved ornaments (snowflakes, Christmas trees, violins, etc.). They are beautiful, if a little difficult to pack and ensure they are not broken, and make for a great stocking stuffer.
Salzburg is one of my favorite cities in Europe and is especially magical at this time of the year - the snow is falling, the Mirabell Palace is icy and wonderful, and the nearby lakes are draped in white snow dust.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Can't tell you all how much I appreciate your suggestions. I'm even getting excited about packing - will leave losts of room for bubble wrap.Mildred
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:32 AM

A while back I bought a lovely little ceramic clock with a sleeping cat betwen two small topiary trees--the whole thing is about 4 x 6. I'm hoping to find another for a gift.

In Vienna, petit-point pins are great to buy as gifts for women friends. Embroidered linens are also special.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:33 AM

Okay--the ceramic clock came from a large gift shop on the main shopping street in Salzburg, the one with all the beautiful signs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM

One of my favorite items are the lovely Bavarian sweaters or jackets that you can purchase in many of the "loden" specialty shops. The baby sweaters make great gifts for little ones and the loden coats are gorgeous.
Hand made crystal vases are another local specialty as well as the cute marzipan sold in most bakeries/cafes.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Loden coats are fabulous--I bought one in Hamburg some years back and always hope for an occasion to wear it in (northern) California. It's going with me on the Danube cruise in a week and a half, and I see that Vienna and Nuremberg are both having freezing temperatures and show. Oh boy!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

My head is starting to spin with all the great hints. i do not care if something is "touristy" at all, because that is what I am. I'd like to approach the traveler level someday but not there yet. Loved the Sacher Hotel sight. The loden coats sound great. I need the packing police to some to my house and let me pack only 3 sweaters and 3 blouses.

Underhill - just went to the Munich website and there is snow on tops of all the little Christmas market stalls. Pack that well loved coat.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions. I am rebuilding my stor of ornaments and what you have suggested is just great. Mildred
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

The spelling and posting police should come along with the packing police. sorry Mildred