New reader and poster here.
Am planning to spend 5 days in Tuscany mid to late December. As in December 2016. As in about 5 weeks from now -- long story. Am throwing myself on your mercy and begging for assistance!
We would greatly refer not to have to drive. If we wanted to spend a few days cruising the countryside, how easy is this to do without one's own set of wheels? I understand we can take a train from Florence to Pisa and/or to Rome, but are there small towns we can stop off at along the way for a night or two to see more of the country? If so, which would you recommend? If not, how expensive would it be to take a taxi from Florence to, say, a little agritourism place located on a dirt road about 5km from San Gimignano ?
Also, has anyone rented a vespa? Are they fairly easy to navigate for a few miles along small lanes (perhaps dirt, gravel) in the day time? At this time of year, not sure about muddy road conditions.
Thank you for any and all responses.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flight questions To Italy with Frankfurt connection
- 2 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 3 two days in rome
- 4 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 5 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 6 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 7 Avignon
- 8 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 9 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 13 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 14 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 15 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 16 Budget trip
- 17 Rome to Greece on a Ferry
- 18 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 19 Favorite London memories
- 20 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 21 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 22 Provence Trip Report
- 23 8 months around Europe
- 24 Tentative Spain/France Basque region itinerary
- 25 9 Day Paris & Rome with Family