Reload this Page >

1st time in London - what guidebook?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Stew

Please tellme what guidebook I can buy to enjoy London. Family of 4, 2 boys ages 8 & 10. Thanks

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:30 PM
traveller

Your budget should really dictate what kind of guidebook you get. If you're trying to go super-cheap, try Let's Go or Lonely Planet. A little more cash, Frommers or Rick Steves is a good choice. Fodors is for people who are a bit more flush. Eyewitness are beautiful books, I buy those not as guidebooks but for nice memories.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Amy

Are you looking for a book that helps you prepare, such as finding a hotel, or one that can serve as an everyday guide, with maps and tourist attraction times etc.?<BR><BR>We enjoyed "Idiot's Guide to London" because it explained basic things like how the tube system works (as well as enclosing a very legible map). It also gave very useful insightful informal reviews of major tourist points of interest.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Philip

I like the Accessondon book

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:26 PM
John G

I just love my Dorling Kindersley "Eyewitness Travel Guides." I think they are the best, with fabulous pictures, diagrams, and descriptions. I would never use anything else.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:32 PM
patty

If you'd like guidebooks specifically with kids' stuff, I like Fodor's "Around London with Kids". It's compact and each attraction is on 2 pages with kid-friendly eats nearby listed. There's also the Dorling Kindersley "Kids' London" which is a cool children's guidebook. Larry Lain and Michael Lain's "London for Families" has some good hints but is a little too basic for me. I also have Judith Milling's "In and Around London For Kids" with lots of attractions listed. It's also meant for Londoners to use as a weekend country guide so there are things listed you won't find elsewhere (not that we went, but maybe someday). No maps however.<BR><BR>And I rely on Access Guides in general basically for the same reason I like the Fodor's kid guide - I can see where to eat in specific neighborhoods.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:36 AM
curt

In addition to a guide book you MUST pick up the London A to Z map for use as you explore the city. Be sure to get one that is small and will fit into your pocket. I have been to London many times and know it well, but I would never go out and about without my A to Z map. The streets wind about and change names too often to be without a good map and A to Z are the BEST! Pick one up in any book store. You will appreciate this advise trust me. Remember the title is "London A to Z" accept no subsitute.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Greg

Stew,<BR><BR>I agree with Curt, a good map is a must. You should probably get one for each of the boys that is kid friendly. As for a guidebook you may want to try one more option. On our last trip in October I got all my guide info from the web. I found sites that listed all the sights in London with detailed info about where they were and when they were open. It is also a good way to get the most up to date info. as well. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Tracy

No contest: TimeOut's annual guide. They're London-based and have super insight into what to do with an active family in tow!<BR><BR>Get a taste for it at:<BR>http://www.timeout.com/london/index.html<BR>Huge kids' section at:<BR>http://www.timeout.com/london/kids/index.html<BR><BR>Also, just buy a mini A to Zed (London A-Z mapbook) when you hit the ground in the UK, much cheaper. Get the pocket version, you won't need the outlying areas.<BR><BR>HTH & have a great trip!<BR>= ) T

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm with Tracy. For single-city guides, TimeOut are by far the best. And they should have excellent insight to their hometown.