Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st time in Italy - Amalfi Coast, Capri & Venice

Feb 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello. My boyfriend and I will be spending about 4-5 days in Italy as a side trip from visiting family in London in the end of April.
Thinking to fly into Naples, explore the Amalfi Coast & Capri for a few days and then take the train to Venice for 2 days - back to Naples and fly back to London.
Haven't done too much transportation booking on my own. Any advice is much needed!
Thanks much!
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Certainly fly back from Venice - no sense wasting time going back to Naples. You're cramming a lot into those 4-5 days...
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Only four or five days doesn't really give you time to "explore" the Amalfi Coast & Capri, and visit Venice by train, especially if you are going back and forth from Naples. Consider flying into Venice and out of Naples. You could have two days Venice and three days Amalfi Coast, but travel time between cities will eat into those days. I"m sure others can give you more/better suggestions for making best use of your time.
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I haven't been to the AC yet but it seems you could spend all 4-5 days there or in Venice.

Two locations are pretty far apart.

If you had to do two different areas, maybe pick pairs which are closer to each other?

Like Venice and Verona or AC and possibly Rome?

I'd imagine the train from the AC to Venice will be a good 4 hours at least.
Feb 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Definitely fly into one and out of the other to avoid spending most of one of your very few day backtracking. The other thing you need to know is that wile the Amalfi Coast should be pleasant in April it's not warm enough for swimming then - so don;t plan on spending a lot of time on the beach.
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Both destinations deserve 5 days each--pick one.
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM

It has been awhile, so I am a bit rusty on times and hope someone with absolute accuracy can respond, but I think it was about 6 hours from Venice to Naples and another hour or so to Sorrento, so about 7 hours by train from Venice to Sorrento. It would vary some to Amalfi or Capri on the AC. You would take the bus or ferry to Amalfi and the ferry to Capri. Add that time to your original six hours. Anyway, it is pretty much a whole day, what with checking in/out of your hotel, getting to the station, etc.
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM
ira

Hi km,

As noted, it would be a lot easier to fly into Venice and out of Naples.

Train from V to N takes about 6 hrs and another hour or so to Sorrento.

Add an hour to go from V to Salerno and on to Amalfi.

I suggest that you either stay in the North and visit Venice, the Cinque Terre and Florence, or go South and see the AC and Naples.

Feb 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Substituting Cinque Terre for the Adriatic Coast is a good suggestion. In my opinion, it has all of the beauty of the Adriatic, without many of the touristy detractors. The train from La Spezia (the main station to access Cinque Terre) to Venice is only about four hours.
Feb 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM

I am an American living and providing daily excursions as well as a 6 day 7 night tour on the Amalfi Coast. Please visit my website at www.amalfivacations.com and let me know if you need any assistance or would like to book any trips.
Feb 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM

If you really want to do 2 places
I would do Amalfi and Rome
or
CT and Venice.

Amalfi and Venice are too far apart for your time frame.