Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st post: Ladies: Should I bring my nice Louis Vuitton handbag and diamond rings and gold jewelry to Italy (Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Amalfi Coast), or plain leather bag & inexp jewelry?

Search

1st post: Ladies: Should I bring my nice Louis Vuitton handbag and diamond rings and gold jewelry to Italy (Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Amalfi Coast), or plain leather bag & inexp jewelry?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post, and I'm Steve R's wife . I'm going to Italy in Sept 06 for 3 weeks and would love to take my nice brown Louis Vuitton handbag and 2 carat engagement ring, diamond wedding band, and a gold necklace to Italy. We'll be staying in some moderate hotels and some pretty expensive ones (Westin Excelsior using Starwood pts in Rome for 4 nts, and La Minerva in Capri for 2-3 nts, though that's not that expensive).

Will I stick out too much as "an easy mark" wearing this jewelry and handbag, or does everyone wear this stuff anyway? Would it be better to wear lesser jewelry, leaving it safely at home, and wear a regular non descript handbag? I've never not worn my jewelry when traveling but I've heard "things" about this part of Italy. We traveled without any concern in Lake Como, Lugano, and Venice last year, but is Rome and Florence different in this respect?

Thanks alot for your feedback. I might feel a bit naked without my rings, and I'd miss my nice handbag for 3 weeks, but if it's no big deal security wise, I'll bring them all.

"Us in Italy last year":
http://photobucket.com/albums/v287/s...0Italy%20Pics/

Julia R
Silver Spring MD
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Dare to live a little - go "naked" without the the jewelry and expensive handbag. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:33 AM
jgg

I agree with Cato. I have a similar engagement/wedding band set and always leave it at home when travelling far away. Why take the risk that something may happen? I don't even mean someone stealing it, as obviously Italians have nice jewelery and wear it all the time. However, if you take it off for any reason you may forget it, etc. I have a simple wedding band I wear and bring my less expensive jewelry.

About the handbag, if it is your favorite handbag and it wouldn't be a problem to carry it around all day, then by all means bring it. When we were in Italy last March there was tons of Louis Vuitton (real and fake).
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Louis Vuitton has become so ubiquitous that it is vulgar. Create your own style and try not to look like the "ladies who lunch" at Olive Garden.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
A group of women I knew went on a cruise and left their handbag on the chair as they went to the buffet table. When they returned to their seats only one bag was missing, the Vuitton.
Yet the other ladies'bags were beautiful leather, no name showing obviously and much more expensive.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
aggiemom

I always wear my real wedding ring (large, like yours) but the rest of my jewelry is costume or fakes. I'm not worried about being robbed, but rather losing a stone or damaging it in some weird way while traveling, etc.

As far as handbags, I go fake or cheap there, too. In fact, anything that's one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable, including clothing, is left at home.

PS: I've never had anything stolen from my person or my room while traveling. However, I have lost jewelry.

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM

While I do agree with Balenciaga on the LV bags, I would say that you would have absolutely no problems at all with carrying one on your trip. They are not considered a big deal in Europe (or here in NY, btw) so your chances of having it stolen would be no greater than with any other bag. I would leave the diamond at home, for sure.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Do you wear your jewelry in Baltimore? As far as the bag! You really are kidding, right! LV's are everywhere. I'm sure you will see several of them being sold at every fake vendor stand.
I really would not worry about either and I don't think LV's are in high demand in Europe. 2 carats really isn't that big anymore! either have fun!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I agree with the LV bag responses--they're everywhere now, and I don't think thieves would bother. As for the diamond, wouldn't you be worried that a rock that size would get lost somehow? My advice is to wear a plain band and keep your jewels at home in the safe dahling. My ring came off one time in the pool at a hotel in Zurich and I just about lost it.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 08:56 AM

My opinion:
I wear what I wear at home, so whatever makes you comfortable is what you should wear too.
All of my bags are good bags, I carry the one that will be the most comfortable for days of sightseeing and shopping, something that is secure and not easily picked..Something with a long strap that goes across your chest is good, hands free and not so easy to pull off of you.
From all that I have heard and know- Italy, like France and England and many US cities, has women that live there who carry expensive handbags and wear nice jewelry- they even carry it when they visit the US.

* I cannot figure this one out whenever I hear it*
"wear fakes"....if a thief is walking down the street and sees a pair of 5 carat CZ "diamond" studs in your ears, how in the world will he know they are fakes?
I always wondered about that

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM

lol, so true Scarlett. The woman on the cruise had the only fake!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM
lyb

I agree with others...Luis Vuitton, who cares??? they're all over the place, the most common thing in the world!

2 carat?? honestly, no big thing either, quite common and I don't know why you think you would stick out. Do you think everyone in Italy are little paupers that don't have jewelry?

Relax, I don't know where you live, and maybe having a Luis Vuitton Bag and a 2 carat ring is special or rare in your town, but most places now, it doesn't get a second look.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Are you nuts? Talk about "Easy Mark"
Why have the worry of losing your treasurers or having them stolen. The only thing I ever take when I travel is my $5.00 barn watch I wear when working outside. I think you will find others agree.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Hi Steve's wife. Every woman friend I have in Italy wears their jewelry and has a beautiful handbag, no matter where they go.

I have always worn my jewelry in Italy..I don't see why it is anymore dangerous than wearing it in the US.

Agree with Scarlett regarding wearing fake jewelry. Good question Scarlett!!

When I travel there is one thing I always do which eliminates the worry of losing any jewelry. Before I go to bed at night I put the jewelry in my handbag. I never lay it on the nightstand, the dresser, the bathroom counter etc. But I do that at home also, when I take my jewelry off it goes into the jewelry drawer.

What I do not do is take an excessive amount of jewelry. Just one extra pair of earrings and one extra ring (for evening wear). That is always in the zippered pocket of my handbag.

Have a fun trip!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
lyb

Scarlett & LoveItaly,

I think the idea of wearing "fakes" is that if they get stolen, you haven't lost anything of great value, yet, you still feel like you're wearing your own good jewelry.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Un;ess you're planning on hanging around train stations at night - or frequenting bad neighborhoods - why should you have any trouble? Just be alert - the locals do this all the time.

(As for the woman whose Vuitton was stolen on the cruise - what do you expect if you walk off and leave a handbag unattended?)

And 2 carats???? Hardly the Hope diamond!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM

NYtrav. Agree, but the point was the thief didn't know an expensive bags as the rest were. He or she only were familiar with the Vuitton pattern and didn't know workmanship.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I am comfortable with wearing the same jewelry I do at home with the exception of my favorite necklace. It's too easy for someone to come and rip it off my neck. It's valuable (inherited) but more than anything it has a lot of sentimental value, it was my mother's. I wouldn't worry so much about the handbag because, these days, there are so many fakes floating around, especially Louie Vuitton.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM

lyb....Ooooh! Thanks for the explaination, LOL. I, like Scarlett, always wondered. I always thought people wore fake jewerly so they wouldn't be robbed etc. Take care and have a lovely holiday!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful responses. After reading them all with my husband and thinking about it... I decided that I WANT to bring my newest white patent leather Louis Vuitton that I got in Honolulu this fall as an extra handbag for the trip. It would be put in my carry on. I'd use it only at night for nice dinners.

Then I guess I'd bring a second bag, my new burnt orange Chanel bag for the day. Hope this is a good idea because one or the other will always be in my hotel room or luggage.

As for my jewelry, and I know that 2 1/4 carats isn't really a big deal, I guess I'll just bring it and my wedding ring, and wear them as I always do. I can always turn the ring the other way if a certain time of night or area of town starts feeling sketchy. As for my other jewelry, I'll just bring my one diamond necklace and my diamond stud earings and leave it at that.

I appreciate ALL your quick responses so far...

Julia R (Steve R's better half

As f

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -