Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st Leg of Driving Itinerary in Ireland-is this doable?

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be going way overboard, but wanted to check on the first leg of our planned trip and see if this was doable. We will be driving from Dublin, making our way around the island in 8 days. I have this as the first driving portion of our journey, after a day of recuperating in Dublin after the flight:

Dublin to Kilkenny-stop and visit Kilkenny Castle
Kilkenny to Cashel-stop and visit the Rock of Cashel
Cashel to Cahir-stop and visit Cahir Castle
Cahir to Cork and stop for the night at a B&B.

How does this look to everyone? Over ambitious?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No way you could do all that in one day. The drive to all those places alone will take at least 4.5 hours w/o any of the stops/visits.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

What if we skipped Kilkenny castle? Would that help it out?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Agree with Janisj. Get a B&B in Kilkenny, visit the Castle, take a nice walk around town and get a fresh start in the morning. Some nice Pubs in Kilkenney. Have fun
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
rochami: You just can't dash around Ireland at 50-60 MPH. Dropping Kilkenny would not help much. It would still be 4 full hours straight driving plus stops/visits.

Why do you want to stay in Cork?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM

On our trip, we also spent the first 2 nights in Dublin and drove from there, planning on visiting Glendalough and then drive on to Killkenny. We made it as far as Glendalough. It was so beautiful, and we were so overwhelmed with our surroundings, taking photos and wandering around that before we knew it, it was evening. So a lesson was learned early in our trip: we slowed down and enjoyed each destination instead of rushing from one place to the next.

Also, it does take a lot longer to get from town to town than you'd think - on the map it may look close but some roads are windy, single-lane dirt paths which take much longer to travel on.

Ireland is magical - enjoy!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Doable yes. Feasible not.
Except for the road from Kilkenny to Cashel, you will drive on 4-lane motorways from Dublin to Kilkenny, and from Cashel to Cork; with a 50-60mph average. No "dirt roads" on that leg. Just that bit between Kilkenny to Cashel is more like 30mph (or 50 km/h since the Republic is using the metric system).
But there is more to see in Kilkenny than just the castle. It's a pretty town that is worth while exploring.
You cannot experience Ireland in a rush. Take your tíme. Have a pint or three. Be somewhere instead of going somewhere.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

So I am guessing the drive alone from Dublin to Kilkenny is going to take awhile. I don't really have a solid reason for staying in Cork. I just thought it might be a good place to start the next leg of the journey. I guess you can tell I've not been the greatest at planning this trip. All of the tips do help though, so I really appreciate it!