Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

19 Days in Italy-Segment 6: Final 5 Nights in Rome

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case you haven't seen my other posts, DH and I are headed to Italy for the first time for 19 days (including travel, so 17 nights total). We leave in just under 3 weeks, and at this point, we're pleased with the number of nights in each city, accommodations and some MINI Fares are booked so I'm not looking back (not that I'd really have time too, lol).

This is segment 6, the final leg of our Italian sojourn. I realize from searching other posts that it would be easier to follow if I separate my itinerary into smaller segments (and I tend to be quite wordy, I'm sorry in advance). This post will focus on our 5 nights in Rome.

I think I've pretty much organized our daily itineraries, but that is the area where I'm looking for the advice and comments for the wise Fodorites

And yes, I know that no matter what I do there will be days that don't go according to my plan. That's perfectly fine, I can handle that. I just like to be planned and organized because IME its been easier to get back on track when things go wrong, or when we decide to deviate from "the plan".

Also, any dining recommendations are welcome, and wanted, as well. DH and I enjoy all types of food (I dislike the term, but I suppose we're foodies), but we like to try to find food that is authentic to the areas we're in.

I would especially appreciate recommendations for a celebratory dinner on our first night. I officially graduate college that day, and although I won't be walking with my fellow graduates I'd like to have a mini-celebration that night with DH. I won't say money is no object, but we'd be okay with splurging a bit for dinner that night. I know cost is relative, so we're used to NYC prices if that helps.

May 26th:
Drive Siena to Rome - drop off car at the Villa Borghese location
Check in/drop bags at Flamini Domus Charming Suites
Lunch at Volpetti - buy picnic provisions for apartment
Trastevere - Combo of Michelin Guide and Rick Steves' Walks?
18:00 - Twilight Stroll with Walks of Italy (Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.)

May 27th:
Taxi to Termini
7:35 - fast train to Naples
Train to Pompeii - self-guided Pompeii tour
Train to Naples
Pizza - Da Michele?
National Archaeological Museum?
18:50 - fast train back to Rome

May 28th:
Campo di Fiore Market
Baths of Caracalla
Public Rose Garden (on/near Aventine Hill)
San Pietro in Vincoli
Lunch - recommendations near/between San Pietro in Vincoli and the Colosseum much appreciated (basic, but good quality trattoria type places preferred)
1:30 Meet with Alessandra Mazzoccoli for private tour of Colosseum (including underground and 3rd tier reservations for 2pm), Forum, Palatine Hill and Basilica of St. Clemente
Walk back to apartment passing through/stopping at: Piazza Campidoglio, Teatro di Marcello

May 29th:
Jewish Ghetto - including visit to Great Synagogue
Borghese Gallery
Villa Borghese Gardens
Piazza di Popolo

May 30th:
7:45am - Pristine Sistine Tour with Walks of Italy (Includes Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica)
Climb Dome?
3:15 Scavi Tour

May 31st:
Fly home: FCO>EWR

DH and I aren't huge art people. We can certainly enjoy a museum, but we're really into history more than art. Obviously, Rome has so much more to offer than what we can see in a short time, but any suggestions or comments on our itinerary are most appreciated.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
jgg

Overall it looks good. Just a few comments:
1. when returning your car at the Villa Borghese, please note that the rental car return is underground, you need to pay attention to the rental car return sign. We didn't know this and kept driving in circles because we were looking for a rental return location. Finally, my daughter noticed the sign.

2.Do you have a reservation for Borghese Gallery - you will need one.

3. I think with only 4 nights in Rome I would stay in Rome and not go to Pompeii, but it can be done if it is a priority for you.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jgg. I appreciate your thoughts.

I did read that the rental is underground, and that I will be carrying my luggage up several flights of stairs. I will keep my eyes out for that sign though

I don't have reservations for the Borghese Gallery yet (they're only available throught 5/22 as of today), but I keep checking to see when I can reserve.

We actually have 5 nights in Rome, but since our flight is in the late afternoon we won't have much time in the morning of the last day. Maybe just a final stroll with a goodbye gelato

That's one of the reasons we decided to drive to Rome instead of dropping the car off in Orvieto. After checking the train schedule vs. the opening time of the Hertz location we wouldn't be in Rome and at our apartment until mid/late afternoon if we took the train. We're early risers, so we can be on the road early and get to Rome by late morning. I know its only a few hours, but they make a difference when you're only in Rome for a few days.

Pompeii is a big priority for both DH and I. In fact, our original itinerary also included a few nights in Sorrento (which would have made for an easier day trip to Pompeii), but the logistics and airline mile reservations just didn't work out. Our solace in dropping Sorrento was that we could still get to Pompeii.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
ekc

Abenedek, I would suggest Roscioli for your celebratory dinner. Fantastic food, nice setting, wonderful winelist. We had a mozzarella tasting there one afternoon and liked it so much we had dinner there our last night. Glad to see you are going to Volpetti - it is on my list for our trip in October.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM

A few restaurants:
on the 28th, lunch or dinner at LA TAVERNA DEI FORI IMPERIALI via Madonna de Monti, 12:30-3 ..7:15-.

on the 29th, Sunday..since you at the Borghese~ a short walk will take you to il Viaggio, via Isonzo 14, really excellent food.

other favorites ~
near Piazza Navona, OSTERIA DEL PEGNO vicolo d Montevecchio 8
or near Pantheon, ARMANDO AL PANTHEON Salita de Crescenzi 31
or deeper in Trastevere, in Monteverde, L’OSTERIA DI MONTEVERDE via Pietro Cartoni 163.

So many wonderful restaurants, so little time.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

@ ekc - I've read that Roscioli is excellent, but that some of the tables (downstairs or near the deli?) really distract from the experience. Can you comment on that? Am I reading about the wrong location?

@ iluvitaly - La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali is in a perfect location! Thank you so much
We have to be at the Colosseum (<10 min walk) at 1:30 though, is it possible to be in and out 45 minutes if we get there when they open? I suppose I should email the restaurant to ask.

I also love the idea of L'Osteria di Monteverde. I forgot to ask for a recommendation in Trastevere, so thanks! I really like that its far, they likely don't cater to tourists, but to locals. I know I'm a tourist, but I love experiencing how locals really eat when I travel.