17 Days Italy Itinerary

Mar 26th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

17 Days Italy Itinerary

Hello,

Me & my wife are planning to travel from India to Italy on the 15th of April and return on 1st of May. We did some research and have already planned our itinerary. We would love for fellow travelers to review the plan and let us know if its all fine or if we would be facing any issues with the travel.

15th Evening to 19th Morning (4 nights) - Rome
Flight from Rome to Bari and then local train/bus to Alberobello.

19th Afternoon to 20th Morning (1 night) - Alberobello
Local train/bus back to Bari and then train to Salerno/Naples and then local bus to Amalfi.

20th Afternoon to 22nd Morning (2 nights) - Amalfi Coast
Local bus to Naples.

22nd Evening to 23rd Morning (1 night) - Naples
Flight to Venice from Naples.

23rd Morning to 25th Morning (2 nights) - Venice
Train to Florence.

25th Evening to 29th Morning (4 nights) - Florence/Pisa and surrounding villages.
Train to Milan.

29th Afternoon to 1st Morning (2 nights) - Milan (Return Flight)

All the stays and flights are already booked. We will have to pay only for the trains and buses.

Does this plan look fine? Or would we face any issues with the travel? I would love to know if we could somehow include Dolomites region and cut down a day from Florence.

Also what would be a ballpark expenditure cost excluding flights and stays with regards to the above plan?

I'm willing to take any tips or any suggestions regarding this. Would love to hear more about this plan from my fellow travelers.
Mar 26th, 2018, 04:35 AM

Wow, the flight to Bari, Alberobello is a brave one, I hope you enjoy that nights stay, it is pretty, just seems very tiring for one night. I think you can do the whole airport to Alberobello by train rather than needing the bus.

trains read up on seat61.com the basic elements of Italian trains.

Just a note on diet, if you are vegeterian, you should have no problems "siamo vegeteriani" will work in any restaurant

Getting around Tuscany really needs a car, but there are lots of places you can see by train, certainly Siena.

I would find this tour too tiring but my experience of traveling with Indians is that you will be fine, just don't add the Dolomites. Do learn the top forty phrases to greet people etc and when italians say grazie to you say prego back (means you are welcome) and with a smile all should be ok
Mar 26th, 2018, 05:43 AM

Since your flighrs are already booked, there's not much we can do to help you with the itinerary. I agree that you'll have a long and tedious trip to and from Alberobello, and littke time to spend in the town, which, by the way, is very touristy.

I also wouldn't choose the route Naples -> Venice -> Florence -> Milan. Florence is in between Naples and Venice; I would have taken the train for this entire trip, in the order Naples -> Florence -> Venice -> Milan.
Mar 26th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

This is so helpful. Thank you very much. Our initial plan included the Dolomites, but then we excluded it just coz' we knew it would end up being too tiring. Also, Alberobello is one place we wanted to see since its a UNESCO heritage site. So thought we'd just stop by for one night and experience staying in a Trullo.

The language problem is one that we are aware of especially in the country-side. Will plan to get a book with Italian phrases just for this purpose. Thanks again for your inputs.
Mar 26th, 2018, 06:43 AM

Yes book trains far in advance for nifty discounted fares -www.trentialia.com or www.italotreno.it/en - two separate train companies running trains over same tracks and into same stations - for great info on doing that yourself check www.seat61.com -for general info Italian trains check BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.There is also an overnight train Rome-Bari.
Mar 27th, 2018, 03:19 AM

There are 53 UNESCO heritage sites in Italy, most of them easier to get to than Alberobello.
Mar 27th, 2018, 11:52 AM

I agree with bvl that you're going a very long way for one night - personally I'd want to stay at least 2 to make the most of being there and to recover from the trip. What time do you get there and when do you expect to leave? It also means that your time on the Amalfi is very short which is a shame as it's not that easy to get there.

Also it makes much more sense to do Naples -Florence - Venice - Milan as it removes backtracking and therefore saves time. That flight from Naples to Venice may look quicker, but by the time you've got to the airport, checked in, got through security, hung around, and then done the same at the other end in Venice, there probably isn't much in it. Then there's the faff of getting from Marco Polo airport to Venice itself which can take a while depending how you intend to do it and where you are staying. If you get the train, the stations are in the middle of the cities, and they are really a more efficient way of travelling.
Mar 27th, 2018, 12:31 PM

I'll also chime in and say that a long trip to and from Alberobello wouldn't be the least bit pleasant for me. There are plenty of UNESCO sites in Italy that wouldn't require that kind of effort.

And BTW, it's not as though something being a UNESCO heritage site makes it awe-inspiring. I live next door to one and it's just one - thankfully one not well known - of dozens and dozens and not something you'd crow about having visited unless you were a paleontologist.
Mar 27th, 2018, 01:10 PM

The trip to Alberobello really makes no sense. It was not even a great experience...uber touristy, too busy, there are so many great sights in Italy there is no way I would waste two days, one night going to see this town. Enjoy the other areas you are going to see.
Mar 28th, 2018, 08:31 AM

OP says bookings and flights are booked - can't change but may want to change that dash to Alberobello and back - and put days in Amalfi Coast/Naples - may be easy to alter that. A day in maybe Capri would be as nice or nicer than Alberobello all in all.
Apr 1st, 2018, 08:25 AM

Can you cancel the flight from Rome to Bari? If so, you should try to do so. That's quite a journey - across Italy and back - just to spend one night in a touristy town. Alberobello was a big disappointment for me. The trulli along the main street are mostly souvenir shops and, naturally, loaded with tourists. If I had done the journey you are planning I would have regretted it. If you can cancel it, then spend the extra day in Amalfi, Naples or Venice.

If you cannot cancel your flight to Bari, then consider spending your one night right in the city. It certainly has a lot to see - the waterfront, the fortress, the churches - especially for just one day. I think it will be more interesting and less harried than the jaunt to Alberobello.

If you can rearrange any of your other internal flights, it makes more sense to fly to Florence from Naples, and then to Venice ( or take the train to Venice from Florence) . Getting to/from airports takes up so much time and at least you'll see some countryside on the train.
Apr 1st, 2018, 08:42 AM

Naples to Florence is about 3.5 hours by train - why fly? And see the countryside too as you say.

But flights are booked so leave it alone.
Apr 1st, 2018, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Look like booking Bari was a mistake. But since we have booked the flights and the flight does not have cancellation, would it be possible at all to visit the place or should we go ahead and skip it in spite of booking the flight? We saw many people saying that Alberobello is worth just a day trip, but we just want to stay in one of the Trullis, this is the reason we decided to stay the night there. Is there anything else that we should be aware of to make the trip more pleasant?
Apr 1st, 2018, 11:58 AM

Go for it - it's all booked and if you don't go you will always wonder what....and maybe scrap the Amalfi and spend those two days in Bari area -Lecce is a real gem too. Maybe take overnight train Bari-Naples and spend day in Naples before flying out.
Apr 1st, 2018, 09:06 PM
kja

Even if you can't cancel the flight to Bari, consider skipping Alberobello -- as others have said, it is so touristy as to be barely worth a few hours, IMO -- its a mass of souvenir shops and overpriced food and lodging. I understand that you already paid for the flight -- but that doesn't mean that you must compound the error by spending your very limited time there. (Look up "sunk cost.") Your time in other of Italy's wonderful destinations is so short that you could easily use that time anywhere else on this trip. If you refuse to walk away from your flight to Bari, consider staying in Matera instead, or Polignano a Mare, or Trani, or Lecce (and if you opt for Lecce, you could spend a couple of hours in Alberobello) en route.
Apr 1st, 2018, 09:14 PM

I'd really hate this itinerary. IMO the trip to Alberobello is not the only issue (though probably the worst).

Except for Florence you are moving every day or two and are spending a huge portion of your time packing, unpacking, checking in/out, in airports, train stations and traveling.
Apr 1st, 2018, 11:19 PM

I'd take the flight, you know about the pressures of moving all the time and the trulli are interesting. It is not what I'd do for a holiday but Bari is nice and the views are fine.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 01:25 AM

Is the cost of the flight to Bari terribly expensive? Is it impossible to use the airfare for another destination for some later date?

I've bought tickets for places I didn't end up going. Sometimes I just lost the money I'd paid for the tickets. Other times, I was able to change the tickets into something I could use for a different destination within the year. That is sometimes true even if you thought the tickets were non-refundable. If you can talk to the airline, sometimes there are ways around that (but it is time consuming to try.)

It's painful to end up throwing away something you paid for, but sometimes that's wiser than throwing good money after bad. If taking that flight and staying in a trullo in Alberobello is going to leave you exhausted, it could spoil other parts of your trip. I've never been to Alberobello, or stayed in a trullo, so I don't know if it's great or not. But I have made mistakes that cost me money -- and not just in traveling! -- buying things I regretted, and sometimes it's better to cut your losses when you step back and look at the whole picture of what you really want.

Last edited by kitbag; Apr 2nd, 2018 at 01:32 AM.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:18 AM

Or the experience of staying in a trullo may be the best memory of your trip - cancel and you'll never know.

Search this Thread