17 Days in Turkey in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan to visit Turkey for 17 days with my wife and 20 year old daughter in December 2013 (12-29) of which the first or the last 2 days will be in Istanbul. Being from the tropics (India), we are not used to cold and wet winters. We love history, culture, architecture and the sea, although none of us can swim, which I understand is a no go in any case in December. This is our first trip to Turkey, but we'll do another one in May-June 2015/16 to visit destinations like, Cappadocia, Ankara, Konya, Istanbul (in details) and other summer destinations.

For this trip the Aegean and Mediterranean coast from Izmir to Alanya seems to be our best bet. It will be madness to even think of covering the entire stretch. And there lies the confusion... where to begin and where to end so that we can cover the sweet spots without running all over the place. Good weather, connectivity (we'll be using public transport), clean seas, nice and less crowded beaches, ancient sites are the critical elements. We are not too much into boat trips although we'll love to do the ones which are a must. Looking for your advice before finalizing the itinerary.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Please check weather statistics for the region (cities of Izmir, Kusadasi, Mugla, Fethiye, Kas, Antalya,) before you attempt this trip.

The beaches will be mostly empty except for a few North European tourists sun bathing when its warm and sunny.

December is usually one of the wettest months. It is also the time when the days are the shortest. This means that you will be spending a great deal of time in doors and some of it in your hotel. Thus large hotel room and/or nice lobby are almost requirements as well as ipad, notebook, laptop, books and games.

Public transport will be buses and minibuses which will not be as frequent as they would be in Summer, thus wasting some time for you. You should seriously consider car rental despite the high fuel prices. Off-season small diesel may be worth the price for allowing you the kind of flexibility you will wish you had if you do not do it. Check some brokers like Economy Car Rentals.

You can easily do Izmir to Side (Alanya, if you wish, also but not significant) on the coast easily and in two weeks.

Most hotels that stay open (except the large resorts) will have A/C heating rather than any kind of central heat. This means that the rooms will stay cool and warm nigh wear will be needed, including socks and slippers.

Having a car will also allow you to buy provisions and incidentals easily whenever you need any.

It will also allow you to visit all antique sites without having to get a guide or guided tours. Most of the sites will have pamphlets or reasonably priced books. Or you can read about them on the web the day before.

Forget about boat trips, period!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Otherchelebi,

Thank you for bringing clarity to the debate with your crisp response. December, I can understand is not the best time to visit Turkey, and the empty beaches tell me that the whole world knows it except a few ignorants' like me.

To put matters in the right perspective so that we can have a more meaningful dialogue, I'd like to qualify my expectation of "good weather" as one with "minimum daytime temperature not below 9-10°C, night temperature not below 2°C and maximum, if not all dry days (not necessarily with sunshine). Which are the areas that are most likely to meet these conditions? Istanbul, I know will be cold and wet. So I am not planning to spend much time there on this visit.

Renting a car is a wonderful idea, the problem is I can't drive (the world has all kinds of creatures, you know). My wife drives, but not on hilly roads. We would love to hire a car provided we get someone to drive it. Do you have any idea if drivers can be hired for 1-2 week and the likely cost? Otherwise we'll have to restrict our mobility and stick to the bigger towns.

You said there are no boat trips in December. Is that due to rough seas, fewer tourists or the water being too cold. What about the water taxis that ply in some of the coastal areas like, Marmaris-Icmeler-Turunc?
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

The average high and low temperatures of the following places for the period Dec 15-30, 2012 was as follows:

Izmir & Kusadasi - H: 8°-17°C; L: -2°-10°C
Bodrum, Marmaris & Fathiye - H: 7°-19°C; L: -2°-9°C
Kas, Cirali, Antalya & Alanya - H: 11°-20°C; L: -2°-11°C
Tasucu, Icel, Tuzla & Karatas - H: 9°-19°C; L: 0°-9°C

Not yet checked the sunshine hours and wet days for the corresponding period. The stats corroborate what Otherchelebi has hinted, nights will be freezing, evenings will be cold and day time will be pleasant if it does'nt rain.

The positives, as I can see them are, less crowd and cheaper prices. The risks are primarily the weather playing a spoiler. Any idea which are the areas where rainfall is historically lower?
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Try visiting Turkey Travel Planner site which is a wonderful source for information. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

Maybe you should consider using a Turkish tour company to help you with Itin, logistics, hotel, train,reservations etc.
We were there several years ago with our kids during Xmas break in December. We had 20 days and visited Epehsus,(stayed in Sirince 4N/5D), Cappadocia 4D/5N, Ankara 1D and Istanbul 10D where we rented an apartment.

We used one of the tour companies that Tom from TTP site recommends and were so happy with them that we have since recommended them to two other families. http://www.travelatelier.com/
They helped us with hotel,plane,train,car rental,driver, and a couple of guides which were excellent.

Even though it was cold, the days were shorter and it rained occasionally I would rather spend the time in Istanbul as it is a fascinating city and there will be more for you to do there then in the coast where many of the restaurants, hotels will be closed for the winter.

What ever you choose to do I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:21 PM

I agree with Kikiv. During the winter I'd much rather be in a city than in the country. Museums and the like--since they're indoors--are still just as accessible in the rain, and in really bad weather you can duck into restaurants or go shopping. If you're trying to enjoy beaches and outdoor activities it's harder in bad weather.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
kja

> Any idea which are the areas where rainfall is historically lower?

Any good guidebook should give you this information. And you can probably google it.