Reload this Page >

17 days in Ireland, what do I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2000, 03:45 PM
joe

I am the middle child of a family of five. The ages of my siblings and I are: 10,15,16. I need help to organize for this trip. I would just like the places of the north, west,southwest, or other in which you would really love to go back to again. Any help is appreciated!!!

Old May 20th, 2000, 04:19 PM
the author

Hey, I thought I would share our itinerary: <BR> 1. Shannon to Kilkenny. We will spend 2 days around here because we have family in Ballyragget. <BR> 2. Waterford-Youghal-1 day <BR> 3. Cork and the penninsulas-five days <BR> 4. Cliffs of Moher, Ballyvaughn- 1 day <BR> 5. Clifden, Westport- 1 day <BR> 6. Sligo, Donegal- 1 or 2 days?? <BR> 7. Belfast. 1 day <BR> 8. Dublin. 3 days <BR>I talked to my family of five and we don't feel like moving everyday. We want to relax. We have heard that the west is the best, and it sounds entertaining. We are also first-time European Travelers, with no reservations in June. WE ARE YOUR CLAY MOLD US!!!!!!!!!!! <BR>

Old May 21st, 2000, 03:13 AM
Cathy

Joe and the authour, <BR>Could I suggest a few points - <BR> <BR>1. If you plan to visit Ireland this summer and visit the southwest (Kerry,Cork), the West (Clare, Galway), and Dublin make reservations ASAP or you might find yourselves staying in places way above your budget. I would suggest that you check out the universities for self-catering accommodation ie Maynooth just outside Dublin (20 minutes into the city centre by eitherr train, bus or car) and it has a swimming pool on campus. (www.maynooth.ie) In Cork there is NUI (National University Ireland) Cork and NUI Galway (both have web sites). <BR> <BR>There is lot to see and do in Ireland so in addition to the places recommended by the guide books and other suggestions on this Forum (see Just returned from 3 weeks in Ireland)these are ones which are popular with families with children and teenagers - I would suggest that you check out Bunratty Park outside Shannon. It is a folk park illustrating the different type houses through the century. In the West/Midlands Strokestown Park House in Roscommon is a famine museum and is also worth a visit. <BR>Then in Dublin there is the Viking/Dublin experience which is very popular with all ages but especially kids. One of the most interesting sites in Ireland are the ancient passage graves - Newgrange is the most developed for visitors but it is booked out for the remainder of the year (the graves themselves are over 5,000 years old) however there are more graves with guided tours at Loughcrew - just outside Kells in Co Meath. In addition there are some wonderful gardens and wlaks to be explored in the area. Near Kells/Oldcastle area is the town of Trim where the film Braveheart was filmed and the castle there is really worth visiting. Wicklow and Kerry are both excellent places for long hikes - in Wicklow visit Glendalough and the old monasteries (if you follow it up with a visit to the Viking/Dublin Experience then you will follow the whole history of their development and demise). <BR> <BR>In Tipperary the Rock of Cashel is eye catching. In Cork, just outside the city visit the Cobh Heritage Centre - the last port of call for the Titantic and the scene of many emigrant wakes ie people departing for America never to return in some cases. <BR> <BR>Hope this list helps and enjoy you holiday. If you are interested in finding out more then check out www.ireland.travel.ie, www.ireland.com and for Irish kids there is a wonderful site which you might like to access to get an idea of history etc www.scoilnet.ie. Have fun and post if you have any more questions, Regards <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old May 21st, 2000, 06:15 PM
RT

I have worked in Ireland in the summer (I'm an archaeologist). If the weather is good, you might try visiting the south coast. I enjoyed meeting the vacationing locals at Dunmore East, Tramore, etc. The water was cold but people were going in anyway. The area was lovely, too! <BR> You will probably visit the Clare coast - Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, etc. You should allow some flexibility here, b/c of the weather - you can't see the cliffs in the rain and mist!! And biking or hiking the Burren is better in dry weather. <BR> I was with a group of undergraduate students from the US and they really enjoyed the Wexford-area Irish National Heritage Park. There was a reenactment of a Viking raid, an ancient village reconstruction, and interpretive displays. Really fun if you like history. There are several of these types of places scattered around the country. Definitely visit one of them! <BR> Enjoy your trip!! RT

Old May 22nd, 2000, 10:16 AM
Kathleen

Packing up every day is not fun! If you have 17 days, consider 3-day stays, which give you five different locations to day trip from. Stay in the Shannon area you're first night to recover from jetlag; check out the Bunratty Folk Park, and go to the Banquet, all the kids will enjoy it. From there, consider going north to Sligo(you can day trip to southern Donegal from here, and even to Lough Erne in Northern Ireland), then head to Connemara/Galway, then maybe the Cliffs of Moher on the way to Kerry (worth an fourth day, don't miss Dingle or Beara), then Cork (don't miss Mizen head, the rocks at the light house are spectacular), then on the WAterford area, then Dublin at the end. 17 DAys is not enough time to see all of the Ireland, and rushing and driving too much in not fun!