Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 16 nights in Italy for a first trip, please help with the itinerary

16 nights in Italy for a first trip, please help with the itinerary

Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Debby

16 nights in Italy for a first trip, please help with the itinerary

We're going May 28 arrive 29 into Milan
Como 2 nights
Venice 3 nights
Florence 4 nights (day trip to Cinqu Terre)
Siena 3 nights
Rome 4 nights

What do you guys think? We do plan on day tripping to Assissi and Orvieto, but we're still not sure from which point?

Thanks, Debby

Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Howard

IF you haven't booked your flight yet, I'd suggest you reverse the order of your stops. You've got in Lake Como and Venice, the most relaxing part at the beginning and, in Rome, perhaps the most active/hectic part of your trip at the end! Otherwise, you've done a good job of allocating days to destinations.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
barbara

others may have a different opinion, but I don't think a day trip to cinque terre is do-able from Florence.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
janis

It looks pretty good to me. I had the same thought as Howard about reversing the direction - but that isn't a big deal. My only suggestion would be to cut one day from venice and add it to the Florence segment to give you time for and overnight to Cinque Terre.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:12 PM
Dayle

Hi Debby! Sounds like a great trip, but I wouldn't do Cinque Terrre as a day trip either. Also, Orvieto is an easy hour train ride out of Rome, so why not do 2 nights in Siena and stay overnight in Orvieto. We loved everything about Orvieto, especially staying there.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
Debby

Thanks for the informaiton. If we do a night in Orvieto, it works out to be a Sunday. Still a good idea?

Debby

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Debby

ttt

Mar 7th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Debby

ttt

Mar 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Dayle

Debby, we were in Orvieto on a Sunday too. On sunday, we drove to Deruta for ceramics shopping. Many shops were closed but not all and we saw all the ceramics we needed. Also stopped in Todi on the way back and enjoyed walking to the fort, church & gardens at the top of the town.

For Orvieto on a Sunday I would recommend: going to mass at the duomo, strolling the town, most shops should be open as it's a weekender town for Romans, then head over to Civita di Bagnoreggio for the afternoon. My traveling companions thanked me for putting Civita on our itinerary and thought it was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip! Try to do the underground cave tour if its avail on Sunday, if not do it Monday AM before you leave. It's short but very facinating!

Mar 7th, 2002, 09:56 AM
uhoh

Dayle's suggestions are excellent. We enjoyed Orvieto, as well. The tour of the caves under the city was really interesting, and sort of makes the history of living in a town like that really come alive. I'd also tweak your itinerary to spend one of those Florence nights in Cinque Terre. We started our trip last year slowly, in a little Tuscan town. It was a great idea for us, because we got familiar with the pace of Italy, the language, sort of gave us a good comfort level for more serious touring and sightseeing. And you'll also get to slow down and savor that part of Tuscany (and maybe Orvieto) before you hit Rome. We ended our trip in Rome and it was simply fabulous. We were not intimidated at all, and truly enjoyed it. It was an invigorating way to end the trip!

Search this Thread