16 days starting in Prague. Where next?

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 days starting in Prague. Where next?

We've got 16 days... starting in Prague June 1. I've been to Prague many times, and know full well I cant be there less than 5 nights. Where would you go next? We will be departing out of Prague at the end of our trip.

I prefer staying at least 3 nights in places. Any suggestions? I don't have guide books yet, just tickets.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

We're 48 and 52. We don't mind driving a rental car... Cost/money is not a huge problem....
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM

What type of experiences are you looking for? Did you want to stay in Czech Republic or travel to other countries?

If you've already traveled around Europe a bit, I think Ljubljana in Slovenia would be a fun stop. Beautiful, lots of culture, still off-the-beaten path IMO. Easy to reach via train.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Vienna, pop into Hungary and see more of the austro hungarian empire

Piltzen to visit the brewary
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:47 AM

I think Olomouc in the eastern part of Czech Republic is very nice. I spent an overnight there and wish I had more time. Three nights might be the limit there.

It's about 100,000 or so people, and kind of like a smaller, less crowded Prague, also with less grafitti.

Enjoy your trip. I loved CR.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:15 AM

I would definitely spend the rest of the time seeing some of the country. I feel people are missing out by seeing only Prague so I would recommend a couple of castles, Cesky Krumlov, Telc and Olomouc. Kutna Hora and the bone church at Sedlec are interesting. All lovely towns that offer different things.

The Cesky Raj region (north of Prague) is gorgeous and so different. I am surprised that so few people go there!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. Like an idiot, I just made another post requesting similar info. Having a cold and trying to navigate this new format is the pits.

I'll keep reading for more. I sketch and photograph. Love picturesque, but real places. Love museums, the older the better. (Florence has some of the best i.m.o.)

We were in Hungary a few years ago. Ljubiana was a surprising one night treat! Loved it. But one night stays are generally not my favorite way to travel. 2 night minimum, preferring 3 nights, even if it means fewer places to visit. I'm just on the go all the time, and want to chill a bit in a new environment that has good food, friendly people, beautiful environs, history.

A perfect day is a good walk after a nice breakfast in our own flat or a restaurant, a museum or cultural interest stop, lunch, a boat ride, a hike, or a bike ride, followed by a nap, then a really nice dinner, some wine overlooking some place, then sleep.... somewhere magical because it is so different than middle Tennessee.

Thanks all.