16 Days in Southern Spain Malaga

Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

16 Days in Southern Spain Malaga

I will be vacationing in Spain from May 15 - May 31. We are landing in Madrid and have planned on driving to Portugal where will be stopping in Evora, Obidos, and Lisbon(3-4 days total in Portugal). Then make our way to Sevilla. How much time should i devote to Sevilla? From Sevilla onto Malaga where we have a house for the remainder of the trip. We plan on taking a bus to Gibraltar and taking a Ferry Trip to Tanger for a day. We will return in the evening from Tanger and have room booked in Gibraltar. We will tour Gibraltar for the first part of the following day and returning to Malaga that same day. Does anyone have any suggestion or modifications I should make thus far? We plan on going to Grenada, Cordoba, and Toledo on the rest of the trip. I appreciate any input.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:41 AM

Sevilla is the place I love the most, so I'd recommend you spend at least 2 to 3 days there. You should also try to take in the white villages, including Ronda. I get the impression that you can do that in a day, although I've only ever gone to Ronda and then stayed overnight there. You have a lot of ground you plan to cover in 2 weeks, though. I did enjoy Portugal a lot, but you should try to plan the trip so you don't end traveling the whole time.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM

In addition to what Kimeryl said:
The only part I would reconsider was the trip to Tanger/Gibraltar. It takes quite some time from Malaga - and unless you have a very strong urge to visit that tiny bit of Morocco you may find many other options for day trips.
From my very own biased point of view, going to Tanger to see Morocco is like going to Tijuana to see Mexico.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:10 AM

I agree with Cowboy for dumping the Tangier part of the trip. I would do a day trip to Gibraltar, if needed. This isn't going to be your best day of visiting. Personally I would save the time to Gib/Tangier and spend more time in Grenada.

Blackduff
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Ok with your suggestions in mind I am amending my trip. I think I will cut out the short trip to Morocco. I havent ruled out Gibraltar just yet. I am trying to get a better idea of travel times from Malaga to Gibraltar. I think we will extend our stay in Sevilla to 3 days and spend more time in Cordoba and Granada.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM

Good Move!

Gibraltar would be the lowest on my planning destinations. It's a street full of electronic shops plus a few pubs. It's a bad day, since it takes a lot of time for nothing.

Maybe for historical reasons, it's worthwhile but it's not going to be your best day during your vacation.

I personally add more time in Sevilla.

Blackduff
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Agree with more time in Seville, but you sure don't want a car there. Also agree with illiminating Gibraltar from this trip--so many better places to go. I question whether Tangier is worth it for a day trip.