Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

16 days in Germany-looking for itinerary help

Apr 29th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Arrive in Munich 9:30am 9/1/18. Depart 9/17 11:40am. We'd like to spend 3/4 days in Berlin and the remainder of the time in Southern Germany. This is our first visit so I appreciate your input. As a traveler, museums and castles are OK, but not the main focus of our trip.
We love to walk and be outside.
1. Should we drive to Berlin? (fly/train?) I was thinking the day we arrive in Munich we could start to Berlin. If we drive, we could spend time in Nurenberg and or Dresden. Would you recommend driving? Should we spend a night in either or both towns?
2. In Berlin-suggestions on what to see. I have check point Charlie, the wall, Holocaust Memorial, Reichstag Building, Charlottenburg Castle, Brandenburg Gate.Museum Island, Friedrichstrasse. Suggestions on where to stay. Other things to see and do.
3. Bavaria/Tyrol area-should we drive there or tour from Munich? We'd like to see King Ludwig's castles-Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau. Ride the Tegelberg gondola. Any other sites? Is parking available if we drive and stay in the area?
4. Is it drivable and worth the time to spend a day in the Black Forest, drive the high road from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt?
5. In Munich area spend a day at Dachau. Other sites-BMW Welt, Duetsches Museum. St Peter's church, Nymphenburg Palace, Hofbrauhaus, and the market
We like to stay at Airbnb and welcome your thoughts about when we should have a car and when it's not needed (drop it off before touring Munich and departure?)
Thank you for your suggestions.
Apr 29th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Hi kp12267,

I live in Garmisch, south of Munich, and I've lived here for 9 1/2 years without a car; believe me, you do NOT need one here! Parking is a hassle to find, and expensive, and gas is also expensive. Public transportation is dense throughout the area, and you/your party can travel all day on trains & busses for one cost using the Bavaria Ticket or the Werdenfels Ticket, depending on exactly where you'll be. I also find using public transportation to be far more fun than driving because you are closer to the locals and the culture instead of being isolated inside your private bubble.

Airbnb is illegal in Munich because housing for residents is scarce and expensive, so be very careful if you decide to do that. Here is a link to the central Munich website, where you can get an overview of hotels, B&Bs, private rooms, or apartments that are legal and available:

Hotels Munich ? Official Website for Munich

There is a new high-speed train linking Berlin & Munich that takes just 4h30; flying won't be much faster. You can get all the schedules and fares at the German rail site

www.bahn.com

Please keep in mind that fares are cheapest when purchased about 90 days early, and fares rise higher the longer you wait. However, these discounted advance-purchase fares are specific for an exact train, so if you miss it, you have to buy another ticket at the full fare. Also keep in mind that the site uses the German order for the date (day first, then month), so 1 September is 1/9.

For your time in Bavaria, why not base yourself right in Füssen? It's an amazing and lovely little town with a real castle right in town, a river running by its edge, and a big lake just outside of town.

I think the Black Forest is too far to get to from Munich -- it is also about 4h30. There are plenty of things and gorgeous landscapes to see in Bavaria, including Mittenwald, the Zugspitze, the Partnach gorge, Ettal Monastery, Oberammergau, Garmisch and Partenkirchen, etc.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Apr 30th, 2018, 05:48 AM

If just driving Munich-Nurnberg-Dresden-Berlin and just wanting to see those cities take the train - throw bags in station locker and go - cars require finding parking after driving into town centers. Book tickets as soon as possible at www.bahn.de/en - German railways site and snatch nifty discounted fares if early enough. Trains and buses go eveywhere in Bavaria as swnadav says - use bargain Bavaria Pass bought daily at stations for unlimited use of regional trains and urban and intercity bus transport. www.seat61.com has loads on booking own discounted tickets online - general info train www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Apr 30th, 2018, 06:27 AM

It sounds as if you plan to leave for Berlin right after you arrive in Munich. If so, you might consider using the train to Berlin then renting a car for the drive back. This would save you from having to park a car that you don't need in the city. I notice that Google maps lists the drive time as 5 1/2 hours which is grossly underestimated in my experience, even if traffic is cooperative.
Apr 30th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Yes and Berlin has such excellent public transit cars are a waste there - can use for sightseeing but must be parked, often at pretty penny - can easily get off train in Nurnberg or Dresden for a look or overnight.
Apr 30th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will be trying to finalize plans this weekend. I appreciate your prompt response.
Apr 30th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

thank you! I'm looking forward to planning my trip.
Apr 30th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

thank you!
May 6th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Tentatively return to Munich area by train Sep 4 or Sep 5. After visiting Munich sights for 2/3 days, is Dachau a day trip...then return to Munich area at night? Thank you for suggestion to stay in Fussen. In addition to Neuschwanstein area, if we want to ride cable car at Zugspitze and walk suspension bridge near Reutte can we do this by bus and still have Fussen as our base? Is Tegelberg gondola similar to Zugspitze?
We depart Munich Sep 17 11:40am.
May 6th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Hi again,

Transport from Füssen (or Fuessen if you can't do the umlaut) to the Zugspitze will take 3h30, with changes in Ruette and in Garmisch. You can get the exact schedule using the German rail site I gave you above, using "Zugspitze Bahnhof, Zugspitzplatt" as your destination in the search (Zugspitzplatt is the glacier at the Zugspitze).

Yes, Dachau is a day-trip from Munich; it only takes about 25 minutes to get there -- again, use the German rail site I gave you above to get the schedules. Here is where you can get more information about the site, including how to get there, taking a tour, and opening hours:

https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/index-e.html

Sorry, I've never taken the Tegelberg cable car. However, Tegelberg is 1,720m high while the Zugspitze is 2,962m high, so the views from the Zugspitze will be more dramatic, I think.

Have fun!

s
May 7th, 2018, 06:20 AM

Trains don't go to Dachau directly but you take a bus from where S-Bahn (suburban trains) station - plan about an hour to get there each way, maybe less - use the Munichn day pass if Dachau is covered.
Sep 29th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to thank you for your suggestion for Füssen. We spent 5 nights there and it was the perfect place to stay and see all that we wanted during our visit. All that we saw and did in Germany was wonderful. We had an amazing trip and can't wait to return. thank you for your help.
Sep 29th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Hi kp12267,

Thanks for returning and letting us know! So glad you enjoyed Füssen!

s