Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15 year old daugher want to purchase a venetian mask

May 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I've asked this as part of another thread but I thought I would "throw it out" to a larger audience.

My 15 year old daughter has decided her ultimate Italin souviner will be a ventian mask. She has a few hundered dollars (of babysitting money) to spend. So where should she look for the best quality for her money? We will be in Venice at the end of our three week trip so it will be difficult I am sure for her to hold out on much shopping. But if she had a few good ideas of where to look without worrying about quality, etc., she would be reassured.
KarinW
May 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Quality, as long as you avoid the masks made of leather (which I doubt would interest your daughter) can be easily found for under $50. The selection is enormous. There really is something of quality for every budget. The real problem will come trying to determine which one to buy.
May 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Ca'Manca is said to be the best source for masks in terms of quality and authenticity. Each maschere is locally hand made and painted.
j.
May 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Sorry...Ca'Macana (not Ca'Manca). Info at www.camacana.com.
May 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM
ChatNoir

I agree 100% with NYCFoodSnob's sage advice. And take your time before buying - looking is great fun.

I wish I could remember the street where we stumbled on a small workshop where they were making some - that was a great treat.

May 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM

NYCS. Why not Leather if she has the cash? It will last longer than paper marché?
May 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I think it depends on what sort of mask she is looking for. If she wants to wear it, the leather ones are great, my daughter, much older than 15, bought a great one. She bought it in a store near St Zaccaria. If she just wants a souvenier, you can find ones from 7 Euros up, in stores, on the street and in workshops. Don't buy one at the airport. There, they are practicaly the same as the ones on the street for greatly inflated prices.
May 30th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I have no precise suggestions to make, but since your daughter's interest in Venetian masks seems to go far beyond what one might expect from a teenager, she might want to do two things (if she hasn't already done so):

a) look for a book at your local library on Venetian masks, so that she has some idea of what kind she prefers (those historically used for Carnevale, those based on the commedia dell'arte, traditional ones, modern reinterpretations, etc.);

b) look at as many Venice guide books as she can at your local bookstore. Most recent guidebooks to Venice will mention at least one source for masks. A list of the recommended shops ought to give your daughter a start on locating a mask that appeals to her and is of good quality.
May 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM

The masks are all over and in varying degrees of quality. I had understood that the leather ones are of the highest quality, but are the most expensive. You can find them made of what looks like paper mache for much less, and a lot of them look very nice, but I suspect they are very fragile. Before going, have your daughter research what the various masks are. We spent an afternoon being regaled by an elderly Venetial lady who was a retired guide and she had some interesting information. Per her, the mask with the long hooked nose was used by physicians during the plague, and they stuffed some kind of protective chemicals in the nose to protect themselves while ministering to victims. Alas, that is the only one I remember.
May 30th, 2004, 04:22 PM
ChatNoir

Mondonovo
Rio Terrà Canal
Dorsoduro 3063
Tel. 287 344

Fréderic Vitoux, author of Venice: The Art of Living, says that Mondonovo "makes masks that are replicas of the old models, but also fills your most fanciful orders." (The shop is located near the Campo Santa Margherita and the Ca' Rezzonico stop on vaporetto line No. 1.)

Laboratorio Artigiano Maschere
Barbaria delle Tole
Castello 6657
Tel. 522 3110

This shop is near the SS Giovanni e Paolo church, inland from the Ospedale vaporetto station. It's one of the oldest maskmaking studios in Venice, and its owner comes from a family of puppetmakers. See page 3 for a link to a Web photo page that shows masks being made here.

May 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM

I bought two leather masks in the style of Il Capitano. I remember them costing over $100 each and I'm going back several years. The leather masks are dark and solid colored and all of them seem to have a sinister look to them.

The hand-painted masks are much more lively and fun and actually look much more expensive than the leather ones because of the artistry and colors. Some come with glorious feather plumes. I imagine most teenagers admiring the fun, colorful masks more than the leather ones.
May 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

CharNoir-
I don't understand the reference to page 3 for a link to a web page to see the masks. Can you explain.

We checked out the camacana web site that was recommended which was inspiring! It sounds like she will have a lot to choice from and I like the idea of research before we leave. I'm encouraging both of my girls to do some reading before we leave to have a good foundation for all that we will see.
May 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM
ChatNoir

Check this one out:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...val_masks2.htm

May 31st, 2004, 04:46 AM

In 2001 we bought a mask at La Bottega di Pantalone after looking at a large number of shops. They make the masks there and had a large selection. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Cost was approximately $70 USD for a papier mache. Costs ranged widely from less expensive to much more. Store is located at 1035 San Paolo which is across the Rialto Bridge and towards the left.

Good luck!
May 31st, 2004, 12:30 PM

La Venexiana Atelier, castello 4322 Ponte de la Canonica, Campo Santi Filippo e Giacomo--masks, recommended in Italian Cooking magazine.

But here's the one I've bought from myselfapier Mache: Castello 5175, Calle Lunga Santa Maria Formosa. Open 9am to 7:00pm and often on Sundays. This workshop/retail store is a gem if you are interested in handmade masks and can pay accordingly. The decoration determines the price and masks come in all sizes and are made to be hung rather than worn. These are just gorgeous, and the owners (husband and wife) take great pride in their work.
May 31st, 2004, 12:33 PM

http://www.lavenexiana.it/
is the website for the first shop I mentioned