Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15 wonderful days of Vino, Gelatos n Esprossos!

Jun 20th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Allora...it seems like yesterday that we started planning our trip to Italy. We (me and my husband both in early 30s) are back from a wonderful trip of this amazing country.

First of all I would like to really thank the forum members who have given wonderful advice and really helped us a lot in the planning.

We did a whirlwind tour across Italy...
Sorrento (Capri & Amalfi day trips)- 3 nights
Rome (2 nights)
Siena (2nights)
Florence (2 nights)
Bellagio (2 nights)
Venice (3 nights)

We took the early morning flight (Turkish airlines) to Naples. We had a changeover at Istanbul. Our flight arrived late there and 1 airline official had us (some 7 people) madly rushing across the airport to get to our Naples connection. His statement " there is no other flight to naples today" had us all sprinting at full speed. After almost 15 -20 mins we reached our plane only to wait for hlf hr for take off!

We landed in Naples around 12.30 in the afternoon. Immigration was fast and easy. Luggage arrived quickly and soon we were out of the airport. We decided to take the Curreri Bus to Sorrento. Website said the stop was just outside the terminal building. It was not. And people kept directing us to Alibus Stop. After shuttling around a bit, finally one person was able to direct us to the correct place. Ask for the police station...its just outside that. Little further than the Alibus Stop. We took the 2.30 bus from Naples to Sorrento (10 E per person) and reached Sorrento around 4.

We stayed at Del Corso Hotel on Corso Italia. It was very close to Piazza Tasso. Hotel Room was decent and clean. Shower was small (we were yet to realise that the shower size was to reduce as we travelled north)

After freshening up we went around Sorrento walking down Corso Italia. had our first taste of Limoncello...it was strong. I liked Crema di Limoncello better. Got some nice lemon cream chocolates. We also had our first gelato at Gelateria David....chocolate tangerine with lemon...yumm! We had Pizza and Sandwich at Da Franco. Nice homely place. Well just a word of caution: we are vegetarians so all you will find in my lunch and dinner is pizza or pasta. Also we are light eaters (we could not finish the pizza and sandwich...and generally 1 pizza is sufficient between the two of us)

I had read in a TR (I am sorry I cant remember whose TR...but Thank you for the tip) regarding the Capri trip conducted by Ullise Deluxe. We went there and booked for the next day. I found it by far the cheapest option 35 E pp compared to 75 E pp charged by our hotel and other travels shops we enquired. We were earlier planning to go ourselves by Ferry but 35 E pp was a steal with pick up and drop to the hotel.

Weather was nice and cool. Sorrento is a lovely small town with lots of lemon and lemon products everywhere.

Next: Visit to Capri
Jun 20th, 2013, 02:09 AM

good start, looking forward to hear the rest
Jun 20th, 2013, 03:56 AM

Looking forward to reading this TR. Did you enjoy the number of nights you stayed in each place, would you do it the same same way or differently?
Jun 21st, 2013, 05:36 AM

Nice things. Continue please
Jun 21st, 2013, 05:58 AM

We are planning a similar trip next year.....looking forward to the rest of the trip report
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:28 PM

Look forward to reading more!
Jun 21st, 2013, 04:00 PM

Me too!
Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Travelmamana: We enjoyed the trip. I dont think would have done differently as this really gave us a good sample of what different regions offers. While I know Rome, Florence and Venice are a favourite of many here, we really enjoyed more the Tuscan countryside drive, halting in small towns, talking to the locals there over a cup of espresso or gelato. We enjoyed the Amalfi coast area as well. Both of us are not fond of cities, but since we wanted to see the colloseum and David (both of them we loved), we included a short stay at Rome and Florence.

Day 2: Capri
We had booked the Capri day tour from Ullise Deluxe Hotel. The taxi picked us up around 8 am. The tour had a private ferry with approx 50 people and a very lively and funny guide. We were also offered a guided tour of Capri and Anacapri with transportation and some free time for E20 per person. Since we had read the reviews of many people about the crowded buses and waiting times, we opted for the tour. This really turned out to be good. A private bus took us first to Capri with a nice guide who told us anecdotes and history of the place. In Capri, the guide walked us through main points of interest and left us at Via Tragara. Absolutely stunning views from there with no crowds at all. We then had 1.5 hours free time to explore the place. We had Torta Caprese (chocolate and cake native to Capri) at one of the cute Bakeries. Strolled down Via Camerelle and people watched on Piazza Umberto while sipping on tangy lemon granita.
Our private bus then dropped us at Anacapri. Our guide walked and talked us through Anacapri till the Villa San Michele and ahead till the venetian steps. We were then given around 2 hours to explore the place on our own. We grabbed a quick caprese sandwich at one of the small kiosk. Peeked into shops selling perfumes, lemony delights, beautiful paintings (one of them was really good...he showed us proudly the letter he received from Prince Charles for one of the paintings) and headed to Mounte Soalro Chairlift (E10 per person). The view from the top was really good. We clicked a few pics ...marvelled at the beautiful Bay and went back down and met our guide who took us back to Marina Piccola.
Now was the time for the famous Blue Grotto visit. The boat ride around the island was really nice and we enjoyed it. Blue Grotto though many find touristy is really good. Though I found the time we spent inside was really short . The blue water looks magical with echos of the O Solo Mia in the background.
We reached back the hotel, freshened up and headed out again exploring Sorrento. We got caught in an extremely touristy restaurant where we had an awful pasta. Dont remember the name. We then headed to Dolce and Gelato on Corso Italia and some really nice desserts. They have mini size versions of famous desserts like baba. We sampled around 4 different desserts all really nice. Tired and exhausted we called it a day.
Beautiful weather, Beautiful view of the Bay of Naples, Touristy but cute Capri town and some really nice desserts made it a day well spent.

Next: Positano and Amalfi
Jun 24th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Very nice!
Jul 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Day 3: Positano & Amalfi

We reached the Sorrento Station at 8.00 am and bought the 24 hour UNICO COSTIERA ticket. We had planned to take the 8.30 bus, and luckily we got the last 2 seats on the right side of the bus. Yes...Go early to get the seats. The drive was beautiful. Had heard about the drive being scary, but i really didnot feel so. We would have loved to drive here actually.

Our first stop was Positano. We got down at the Sponda stop (2nd stop) which is closer to the centre. Walked down through the cafes and shops to the Beach. We rented chairs at the beach and spent 2 to 3 hours lazing around. We headed back up. Stopped at a really nice bar for a quick lunch. We took the local shuttle bus (...yes we were feeling lazy after all the lazing around )

We had to wait for a good 15 mins before the next bus to Amalifi. Got seats on this bus as well...yay! Amalfi was much more crowded and busier than Positano. We strolled around the town. Bought some souvenirs from a ceramic shop. People watched sipping cup of cappuchino on the square. An interesting photo shoot was going on of a newly wedded couple on the steps of the Duomo and the happy couple ended up on quite a few tourist photos as well. Spend some time near the water front (deck which goes into the Bay near the bus stop)
Took the bus back to Sorrento around 5 pm.

Our initial plan was also to go to Ravello. But we didnot get the time to do so. Next time.

Freshening up we headed again out in the narrow lanes of SOrrento in a different direction than last 2 days. Stocked up on Limencello, Crema De Limencello and lemon chocolates. We had a nice dinner of Sorrentino Gnocchi and Pizza. For Dessert we headed back to Dolce and Gelato.

Fun sunny relaxed day along the bay.

Coming up next: Roma