15 month old in Europe?

Nov 16th, 1999, 08:32 PM
Mark

15 month old in Europe?

I ski Europe with a group of friends every winter. Just recently had a baby and my wife wants to take her with us (probably to Zell am See, Austria) next year. She'll be 15 months and I'm uncertain. Any suggestions, stories, etc. that will sway me one way or another?

Nov 17th, 1999, 02:13 AM
Danny

I have been skiing in Austria with a 10 week old baby. With the mother-in-law to look after the baby at base camp level, it was fine. Up to 12 months old, children should not go above 1000m in altitude. This depends a bit on the altitude of your home though. At 15 months, you should have no problem taking a child up in the Seilbahn but I would not recommend taking the child down the slopes. If you are planning to find child care, you better have this arranged well in advance. It was easy for me as my mother-in-law lives less than an hour's drive from Zell am See although we skied at Kasberg (between Zell am See and Wels).

Nov 17th, 1999, 06:50 AM
carolyn

We tossed around the idea of taking our 17-month old with us on a March trip to the German Alps, but decided against it, and will leave her with Grandma and Grandpa. It's really a personal decision, but my reasons for leaving her behind include safety, health reasons (I worry about emergencies - she's had a few), and her age. I don't think she's ready for such a hectic trip, an 11-hour plane ride, and hideously cold weather! Her schedule would be a mess, too, and she's not old enough to actually enjoy the time there. We plan to take her traveling overseas with us when she's about 5 and beyond - no diapers, no highchairs, no strollers, no portable crib, etc.!

If you do take her with you, make sure you purchase travel insurance that covers medical expenses and evacuation, cancellation, trip interruption, etc. I recently learned that our health plan does not cover most of the overseas medical expenses, particularly medical evacuation - a possible reality on a ski trip!

I will admit, however, that my husband and I are going to have a very hard time leaving her for 8 days...

Nov 17th, 1999, 08:47 AM
Rex

I may not be qualified to answer this; my wife and I have raised three daughters (now 19, 17 and 15); I have become a frequent traveler to Europe SINCE thery were babies, but we did travel coast-to-coast with (the first two of) them quite a bit.

I think you SHOULD take your 15 month old (and I think Carolyn SHOULD take her 17 month old and not be such a worrywart). If you like to travel, (and this is for both you and Carolyn), your ease of traveling will only get WORSE for the next few years, not BETTER. You will make memories for you and your wife and take pictures that you will treasure among the dearest of all the infancy years of your child's life - - and it will be harder and harder to enjoy such things through years 2-4 (to say nothing of other upcoming siblings!)

Clearly, you need to put extra effort into the childcare needs during the day so that you and your wife can ski together (at least some of the day) and you need to be a GOOD husband and father. It's a very personal question as to whether you should recruit a babysitter to go with you or figure out how to find one there (I have ideas on this if you want to write me).

By the way, what did you do last year? My guess is that whatever worked for 3 months or under will work almost as well for 15 months.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 17th, 1999, 08:53 AM
ilisa

I, too, think you should take your baby with you. For some people, that is not an option for a variety of reasons. However, if you have the means to do it, and are willing to do the extra planning and effort, then do so. You will receive a lot of flak for this question; don't listen to it. A friend of mine just returned from Israel with her 6 month old. I will get her experiences and let you know. Another friend is going to Australia with her 7 month old over Christmas. I'll also let you know about that. However, most babies I know are very well-traveled and have had few problems. GO FOR IT!

Nov 17th, 1999, 10:59 AM
mark

Thanks for everyone's input. To answer Rex, she was born 3 weeks ago so she will be 15 when we travel in 2001 (we're taking 2000 off). As for babysitters, my mother in-law may join us but I wouldn't expect her to baby sit all day. Our hotel (The Grand) does have sitter service which is a plus. I'm now leaning towards taking her as I think it will be difficult for us to spend 8 days without her there.

Nov 17th, 1999, 11:30 AM
ilisa

Mark, incidentally, I want to say congratulations. You are entering the most exciting part of your life. We have a 6 month old girl, and every day with her is such a joy. I still stand by my statement that you should take her if you can and really want to. However, please do not worry if you ever find yourself in a position to be away from her for a few days. My husband and I recently went to Florida for a week without the baby. It was tough at first, but not as bad as I thought (of course we called home every day!). Again, congratulations! Now get off the computer and get some sleep!