Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   15 Minutes in Paris - What to Do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/15-minutes-in-paris-what-to-do-928544/)

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2012 09:05 AM

15 Minutes in Paris - What to Do?

I'll be arriving from London on the Chunnel train next week on a week day and have 15 minutes in which to catch my Thalys train to Amsterdam.

What would be the most worthwhile way to see the most of Paris - I have never been to Paris and want to see it all - is the Eiffel Tower too far away for a 15-minute layover?

How about the Louvre - are they near each other.

any good restaurants in the Gare du Nord area?

Thanks for any inputs!

Mercy beaucups!

Charmen de Fer

Pegontheroad Mar 21st, 2012 09:11 AM

Pal,you old kidder...

StCirq Mar 21st, 2012 09:19 AM

I would hop on the #69 bus and do a tour of the city, just to familiarize yourself with some of the main attractions. Alternatively, take the RER out for a quick viewing of Versailles. Whatever you do, don't stick around the airport area; it's not particularly appealing ;-)

Dukey1 Mar 21st, 2012 09:33 AM

why are you going all the way to Paris to catch a train to A-dam instead of taking the train to Brussels and changing there?

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2012 09:35 AM

Dukey - I got a great discount on the Chunnel train to Paris I could not pass up! 189 pounds, all told!

kerouac Mar 21st, 2012 09:39 AM

You could check to see if Michael Osman is available for a private tour.

iowamom Mar 21st, 2012 09:40 AM

What if the train is late arriving into Paris?

What if it's early - you could double your layover time and see four times as much stuff!

Don't waste your time eating at a restaurant, get it to go while you have your whirlwind tour of Paris!

glenmd Mar 21st, 2012 09:49 AM

You have be sensible about these things. The Louvre is not particularly close to the train station and in any event requires at least 30 minutes to see everything, so you might want to leave it for another time.

On the other hand, since you are at the train station anyway you should have enough time to see Versailles, or possibly head out to Monet's house in Giverny, both of which are much more practical for your time-frame.

As for restaurants, I generally try to discourage people from eating anything in Paris. Seriously, what kind of dining experience can you expect to have in a place that thinks snails, horse and the liver of force-fed ducks are ideal food choices. What you should do is have extra large meals for the three or four days before, like a bear storing up fat for hibernation.

Hope this helps.

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2012 09:51 AM

why are you going all the way to Paris to catch a train to A-dam instead of taking the train to Brussels and changing there?>

Dukey - can you read - I said I have never been to Paree so I wanted to see it at least once in my life - you never know when you can cross the pond again. I heard that I could see Montmartre from the train on the way in - is this true? Can-can I see Montmartre - what side of the train should I be sitting on to see Mont Martyr?

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2012 09:57 AM

Nothing to see in Paris
Posted by: kerouac on Mar 20, 12 at 6:07pm
Posted in: Europe

Oops I think I may have made a major blunder - now I read that there is "Nothing to See in Paris" - oh the heart ache! Nothing - zed - zilch - nada - rien - est-ce que possible?

sassy_cat Mar 21st, 2012 10:02 AM

to do? Breathe deeply

ira Mar 21st, 2012 10:32 AM

Hey PQ,

>any good restaurants in the Gare du Nord area?

Le Train Bleu is right in the train station.
.................................................. ........
Hi glen,

>The Louvre is not particularly close to the train station and in any event requires at least 30 minutes to see everything,....<

I have done it in under 15 min.

The record is 6 min.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4754,1511480

((I))

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2012 10:59 AM

The Train Blue is right in the Paris central station - thanks Ira - should I tip or not> do they have raw horse meat - I've heard then French guys eat raw horse meat to increase their vitality and virility - if they have raw horse meat could I then find a putain or some putains in the vicinity of the central train station?

And thansk to ALL above who thoughtfully took time to help me - a clueless novice dweeb plan the trip of a lifetime to Paris, which I've always dreamt of visiting my whole life and thanks to y'all it is all now becoming perfectly clear on what to do, where to go and what and where to eat?

One more question - can I wear athletic shoes in Paris or will that label me a clueless foreign tourist?

Should I buy the Navigo Card or just do a carnet?

Oh so many questions so little time!

Adieu mes amis!

Charmen de Fer is greatful!

FrenchMystiqueTours Mar 21st, 2012 04:59 PM

You don't have enough time to see much. As an alternative, I would suggest taking FMT out to lunch.

sassy27 Mar 21st, 2012 05:11 PM

Too funny.

How about picking up a postcard book. Take it and flip through it real fast, like those old flip books. You could see all of Paris in less than 5 mins :).

colduphere Mar 21st, 2012 05:13 PM

I would get pickpocketed and then talk about it here for years to come.

colduphere Mar 21st, 2012 05:15 PM

Actually in 15 minutes you could get pickpocketed 10 times. It's that bad. So bring 10 wallets.

greytop13 Mar 21st, 2012 05:52 PM

Why not try a Segway Tour? Ask for a turbo-charged model. That way you won't have to fuss with those troublesome bridges. You can just fly from bank to bank across the Siene.

FrenchMystiqueTours Mar 21st, 2012 05:53 PM

If you wear tennis shorts that are tight enough (the kind that Rod Laver wore) it's impossible for a thief to get their hand into your pocket. They're safe, stylish and they move the way you move.

sobster Mar 21st, 2012 06:24 PM

You might have time to go to the bathroom. Don't forget to say bon jour.