Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15 Hour Layover @ Heathrow - Leave Airport, or No?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

My name is Eric, and I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to traveling internationally (excluding Canada and Mexico).

I will be flying into Heathrow Airport en route to Oslo, Norway for a cruise, on June 13th. I will be leaving Los Angeles, California on Wednesday, June 13th at 9:20 PM PDT, and arriving at Heathrow Airport on Thursday, June 14th, 3:55 PM BST (+1 day).

I then have a 15 hour and 25 minute layover, not departing for Norway until Friday, June 15th, at 7:20 AM BST.

So my question is this: is it plausible to leave Heathrow and explore London during my layover? If so, what are my best options to get into London? Train, tube, taxi?

Also, if anyone has any advice on where to eat/visit, to really make the most of my stay in London, I would greatly appreciate it.

Additionally, what should I be prepared for with customs? Will I need a tourist visa, or will my passport suffice?

What will it be like going back INTO Heathrow Airport as an American citizen? Will I go through any type of customs going INTO the airport, or will I just go about business as normal?

I apologize for my naivety, but I am new at International travel.

Thank you much!!

Eric
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM

Welcome Eric!

You do have time to go into town for the evening! I would recommend spending the night at the airport because it will be easier for such an early fligt.

As a US citizen you do not need a visa, just your passport. You will get a landing card on your flight, fill that in and go through passport control. You will then be able to grab your bags. I would check into a hotel at the airport and drop your bags and then take the tube into London. The tube (see map here www.tfl.gov.uk) will get you into central London in about 1 - 1.5 hours so you can head out for dinner and see a few sites. Then catch a late tube back to the airport. Be sure you know when the last tube is (see the website above) so you can get back at the end of the night. The tubes close fairly early (think about midnight)

As for going back into the airport - no different than any other. You check in, go through security and head for your gate.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:19 AM

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum(s).

For visa advice, it is best to check official sources. It is up to the country in question (United Kingdom) to determine the entrance and exit requirements for a given nationality.

Get in the habit of using google or similar search engine, because it can be tricky to find just the right website of the government in question. But eventually I found this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/

Check the site carefully, especially the sections on visiting the uk/general visitor' and 'do you need a visa' as this last will list the nationalities that do.

Generally, tourists from Canada and the US don't need visas. But the point is, don't take the word of a forum hack on this one, check the source, for all the requirements of entry.

I'll leave some of your other questions for people who have done long layovers.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:36 AM

I live close to London and travel a lot from Heathrow. I would agree entirely with above comments. Book a hotel close to Heathrow. You can get the Piccadilly line into central London: http://www.heathrowairport.com/trans...ns/underground
Get off at Green Park or Piccadilly Circus and have a look around and dinner. Try to get down to the river if you have time. It will be light in the evening until quite late at that time of year. A taxi is expensive - between 50 to 70 pounds so make sure you don't miss the last tube. You would still need a taxi for the short ride from the tube station to your hotel though.
There are some great walking tours of many different areas of London that usually meet outside a tube station and run during the day and evening. Have a look at:
http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Ho...e/default.aspx
Good luck and enjoy your short time in London - the best city in the world!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:37 AM

In the UK immigration control and customs are two different operations. For the first, it might be worth making sure your onward ticket to Oslo is readily to hand in case the immigration officer asks to see confirmation that you're only staying the one night. For customs, you should just walk through the green "Nothing to Declare" gate.

Is it possible for you to check most of your luggage through to Oslo from the outset, so that you only need to reclaim what you'll need for overnight (or maybe even take it all in the one carry-on bag, if possible)?

You may not be in central London till about 6pm at the earliest, but at least at that time of year there will be daylight till well past 9pm.

Then as to what sights to see and how to get about: you could go straight to Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus or Covent Garden direct on the tube, which will put you in or very near most of the entertainment and lots of restaurants, or you could change at Hammersmith for the District Line and get out at Westminster to look at Big Ben and maybe stroll along the river for bit, or go up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square; or go to Embankment and walk up to Trafalgar Square (plenty of restaurants around here and up St Martin's Lane too), and then maybe down Whitehall to Westminster. But all that's up to your tastes and interests.

As for getting about, it depends on whether you're likely to use public transport more than just to get in and out of Heathrow. If no, the fares come to just under £6; if yes, you won't pay more than £8.50 (the price of an offpeak day travelcard). Either way, it will come on the electronic Oystercard. So at Heathrow underground station, you could ask the clerk either to put £10 in pay-as-you go money on the card, and claim back what you haven't spent when you leave, or just pay for the travelcard for the peace of mind.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:48 AM

If you need maps:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:55 AM

And don't forget to double-check at what time you need to be up and about to check in the next day!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:28 AM

We stayed at the Jurys Inn before an early morning flight. It was very satisfactory.

I would go to hotel in the LHR area (how you get there would depend on your choice, of course--the fastest MIGHT be a taxi. We arrived via rental car company shuttle so that won't help you) and drop my luggage.

Jurys Inn is about a 5 minute walk from the Hatton Cross Tube station; if you stay here, then you would go there and Tube directly into the city on the Picadilly line. Its nearness to an easy to use Tube station is one plus for this hotel. It's about an hour ride into the city center.

One of myriad possible walks would be to get off at Picadilly Circus or Leicester Square, walk to Trafalgar Square, walk down Whitehall to Westminster area, walk along the Thames for a bit. All of London along the Thames at night is fantastic. Then well before the Tube stops running, catch it back to Hatton Cross and get a few hours sleep.

We found the suggestions of being at LHR over 2 hours before a transcontinental flight to be conservative. For an 8ish flight to Norway I don't know; you probably want to be there maybe 5:30ish. We rode the HoppaBus thing from Jurys Inn which was fine; some posters have not found that convenient or timely. You could order a cab. I think the Tube wasn't running early enough for us so we had to find different transport.

Not a lot will be open in London, and between all the stuff at LHR and transport to a hotel and checking in and transport to London (about an hour at least), it will be pretty late (after 7 I would think at very earliest), but you'd still have a few hours to walk around a bit.

Read PatrickLondon's suggestions carefully; he gives good advice. You might also need to be aware of the TfL (Transport for London) website which gives up to the minute, generally, info about Tube line problems--pre-check to make sure nothing planned to be closed for maintenance etc. on times you plan to use Tube. You won't have lots of time for making different plans.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM

Just note that you will need to be at the airport very early and it is unlikely that tubes will be running in time to get there - so plan you hotel accordingly. If you are going to stay at Hatton Cross station you will likely need to book a taxi/car service to get you to the airport in time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:56 AM

<i>So my question is this: is it plausible to leave Heathrow and explore London during my layover? If so, what are my best options to get into London? Train, tube, taxi? </i>

Yyou have no choice but to leave airside as it's closed at night, so you have to find a room or bunk down in a corner landside. I'd stay somewhere like the Jurys Inn which is a short distance from Heathrow and which is on the direct Tube route into London.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies!! I've been so focused on the Sweden part of my trip, I've neglected planning on my short stay in London, and then Oslo, Norway, before I board my cruise to Stockholm.

I'm not sure what alanRow means by "it's closed airside at night, so you have to find a room or bunk down in a corner landside."

Does part of the Airport close?

Also, I looked at Jury Inn, and in USD, I'm looking at $135 for a night, when I'm only looking for a few hours of sleep - anyone else have any recommendations?

Alternatively, I could just sleep on the 13-14 hour flight from LAX to London and just stay up all night

Eric
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM

I was considering a flight with a long layover at Heathrow on my way back from Paris. I thought about using Yotel. Never used it before so I have no clue what it's like.

www.yotel.com
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:54 AM

Yes the airport essentially closes so I think you need to leave the airport.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Airside vs. Landside are airport terms - same meaning as in the States. Essentially "airside" is after security/immigration (after you check in for a flight). "landside" is before security - where you are before going through to the departure lounge/gates.

As for a hotel --I would not use Yotel since they charge by the hour and an over night stay gets pretty pricey. They are great for a 3 or 4 hour rest - not for over night.

I'd bid priceline for your hotel at LHR. You can get a 3 or 4 start modern hotel for well under $100, and maybe under $50. Every hotel in the LHR zone that you might win is on the Hotel Hoppa bus route or w/i a very short cab ride.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
that should be a 3 or 4 <B>star</B> hotel . . .
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:14 PM

<i>Does part of the Airport close?</i>

Airside (after security) is closed at night. Landside whilst not closed has few open facilities beyond toilets and isn't a nice place to spend even a few hours.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone for your replies. I'm amazed at the outpouring of feedback for a newbie like myself! There is so much I want to do in London, and I realize I have limited time, so I will do my best to make the most of it. Walking by the River Thames sounds delightful! As long as I can hit up a pub, I think I'll be good!

Also, I will definitely try PriceLine for the Heathrow Airport hotel, thank you!

Eric
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:52 PM

Pubs:
http://www.fancyapint.com/
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 02:58 AM

Yes, Jurys Inn is the one LHR hotel within walking distance of a Tube station, that's where we plan to stay in July on our return after our cruise. We plan to go into town after checking in, to get back late evening, like you we also have an early morning flight.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 04:05 AM

<i>Yes, Jurys Inn is the one LHR hotel </i>

It's the one OFF-AIRPORT LHR hotel that is walking distance of a Tube station. There are three on-site hotels which by their very nature are within walking distance of a Tube station

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -